RE: [bolger] Re: plastic coating

  • David Romasco
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
      Peter, I think you're correct. Maybe it WOULD pass the dishwasher test....

      David Romasco

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
        I remember that in England the stuff is called "isinglass", and my lttle
        dictionary shows it as a product got from sturgeons.

        Alvan Eames.
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
          Maybe not - it depends on if it is still water soluble after it is
          applied. I suspect that it is.

          Bill

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David Romasco" <dromasco@g...> wrote:
          > Peter, I think you're correct. Maybe it WOULD pass the dishwasher
          test....

          > David Romasco

        • dnjost
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
            This is the stuff I used to coat the wooden mold for my Micro. I got
            it from another builder of boats. It only took a small amount 2
            pints? to coat the entire mold. The mold is still useable!

            David Jost
            "former owner of Firefly, reading the AS29 discussions religiously."
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
              --- dnjost wrote:
              > reading the AS29
              > discussions religiously.

              My collection of AS-29 plans
              is in part illegible. I cannot
              read the number describing the
              amount of lead ballast...does
              that really read 8,000 lbs!

              The other note that describes
              3,000 lbs of foam and 3,000 of
              wood buoyancy would result in a
              'sinker'...but I thought that AS-29
              had positive buoyancy. What am
              I missing?
            • earlgasner
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mi'ki <mike78612003@y...> wrote:
                > just located a possible proofing product, it is used to make eggs
                safe for long storage with out the use of refrigeration , you clean
                the fresh eggs and then coat with something called, water glass.
                and it is very cheap, it is supposed to penatrade the surface and
                permanently seal and its water proof, says it can go on any porus
                surface., has any one tried it, The label says it can keep cleaned
                eggs at room temperature for six months.

                isinglass:

                1. a gelatine from the swim bladder of sturgeon.

                2. thin mica, used for windows as for a "Surrey with a fringe on the
                top that you can roll right down in case there is a change in the
                weather" and as for old kerosene heating stoves).

                3. Any of various water-soluble silicate glass compounds used as a
                preservative for eggs, in plaster and cement, and in various
                purification and refining processes. Also called soluble glass, water
                glass. (The 'glue' in corrugated paper boxes.)
              • Frank San Miguel
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
                  2000lbs lead.
                  The total boat is 7300lbs displacement.
                  The boat has significant positive boyancy.

                  I couldn't find the note about foam and boyancy. Is it on the
                  building key or the drawings?

                  Frank
                  Landenberg, PA

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                    --- Frank San Miguel wrote:

                    > I couldn't find the note about foam
                    > and buoyancy. Is it on the
                    > building key or the drawings?

                    I have never read the building key,
                    [and would love to read it!]. There
                    is a note on the drawing in the
                    chapter of the book BWAOM, but you
                    need a magnifying glass to read it.

                    "Total Foam Buoyancy 50 CF = 3,000 lbs.
                    Positive Buoyancy of wood structure about
                    3,000 lbs.: Boat will be stable with about
                    2 ft freeboard fully flooded."

                    The 2,000 of lead, I imagine, could be
                    cast into manhandle-able pieces. One
                    piece, 1 1/2" by 3 1/2" by 3' 4 1/2" would
                    weight about 100 lbs... ten per side.

                    > 2000lbs lead. The total boat
                    > is 7300lbs displacement.

                    I rough numbers, 5,300 lbs of wood is
                    about 1,800 board feet costing perhaps
                    $3,600 premium grade, or half that if
                    shop grade $1,800.

                    How much epoxy? 30 gallons? $995?

                    Plus, about the same labor as a Superbrick.

                    $4,000 for hull, $2,000 for sails, $2,000 for
                    motor.
                  • Richard Spelling
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                      Boat Baloney = $2 - $4 a pound.

                      7300lbs displacement make this about a $15000 boat.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                        --- Richard Spelling wrote:
                        > Boat Baloney = $2 - $4 a pound.

                        I can dream can't I? ...

                        2,000 of lead equals only
                        30 five gallon buckets of
                        'free' wheel weights, melted
                        with 'scrounged' firewood
                        in 'salvaged' metal paint
                        buckets. Cost $0.

                        One sheet of 1/2 CDX plywood
                        weighs 50 pounds and costs
                        $22 = $0.44 per pound much
                        less than $2 to $4 / pound.

                        MDO is still less than $1/lb
                        and results in much epoxy, cloth
                        sandpaper and time saved.

                        Heck, Raka epoxy costs less than
                        $5 per pound.

                        Money only starts adding up when
                        you go out buying motors and the
                        electronics...motors can be
                        scrounged and electronics can be
                        skimped.

                        A poly tarp main sail on AS-29 might
                        be a stretch, but one could re-cut a
                        used sail found free by dumpster
                        diving at the marina. The mizzen
                        could be polytarp.
                      • Peter Lenihan
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@c...>
                          wrote:
                          > Boat Baloney = $2 - $4 a pound.
                          >
                          > 7300lbs displacement make this about a $15000 boat.

                          $6.50-$7.00 CAN.......just for the boat......no transportation cost
                          to boat building site, no storage fees etc...etc...etc....you've
                          gotta give yerself some breathing room for a ton of ancilliary cost
                          and all of this over several months/years........

                          Peter Lenihan
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                            --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                            > $6.50-$7.00 CAN.......just for the boat

                            So, my 1,200 lb Micro Navigator
                            would cost $8K Canadian?

                            I might be fooling myself, but
                            my mental accounting ledger still
                            totals less than $1,000.

                            [Not counting bandaids, tools,
                            electric bill, coffee, rent paid
                            for my garage/shop, karma.]
                          • Peter Lenihan
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                              > --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                              > > $6.50-$7.00 CAN.......just for the boat
                              >
                              > So, my 1,200 lb Micro Navigator
                              > would cost $8K Canadian?
                              >
                              > I might be fooling myself, but
                              > my mental accounting ledger still
                              > totals less than $1,000.
                              >
                              > [Not counting bandaids, tools,
                              > electric bill, coffee, rent paid
                              > for my garage/shop, karma.]

                              Bruce,
                              Your Micro Navigator"could" cost that much......it all depends
                              on what standard you want to build to ;-). My Micro cost a kitten's
                              hair over $6000.00 CAN. to build in 1993 and I've got the bills to
                              prove it. Sure,I also could have gotten a gold medal in"dumpster
                              diving" too had I really worked at it but I was;
                              a)too damned lazy.
                              b)too damned stupid
                              c)too much of a fraddy cat
                              d)too damned proud
                              I suppose any of the above could be made to "fit" but in truth
                              I really wanted a Micro YACHT and a vessel to try out my growing
                              inventory of woodworking skills.The logic being that any big time
                              booboos would not cost me an arm and a leg on such a small boat.
                              As I gradually assemble WINDERMERE, I lean heavily on the
                              experiences gained through the MICRO and catch myself sometimes about
                              to make another booboo just in ther nick of time.........I am glad I
                              did my MICRO the way I did.
                              It all boils down to what your end objective is with a self
                              made boat.C'est la vie!

                              sincerely,
                              Peter Lenihan......who almost got spooked early this morning by what
                              I took to be FROST on the windshield.........
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                                --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                                > I really wanted a Micro YACHT

                                I have seen photo's of your work,
                                and you *do* achieve a yacht finish,
                                very impressive!

                                My level of finish is more of the
                                'looks good from 50 feet' quality.

                                I do think that my work is strong,
                                though not all that smooth.

                                I would rather have *two* rough finish
                                boats: instead of *one* shiny boat.

                                Another little appreciated virtue
                                of the 'value added' of cheap and
                                scrounged materials, [here in California
                                at least], is that they are tax free!
                              • Peter Lenihan
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                                  > Another little appreciated virtue
                                  > of the 'value added' of cheap and
                                  > scrounged materials, [here in California
                                  > at least], is that they are tax free!

                                  No argument there Bruce.....even our government has yet to figure out
                                  how to tax"junk" but I figure it is just a question of time, not
                                  desire.
                                  Now,if they could just figure out how to get us some nice warm sunny
                                  California weather up here all year long........I'd go back to voting
                                  for the crooks:-)

                                  Peter Lenihan
                                • Frank San Miguel
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                                    My AF3, Cream Cheese, cost 2300 without the trailer, but I could have
                                    gotten it down to 1500 if I had really tried which I wasn't. An I
                                    only used ACX plywood since she is a little trailer sailor.

                                    http://www.geocities.com/sanmi/creamcheese/costs.html

                                    She weighs about 350 lbs with gear.
                                    1500/350 = $4.3 BBU (boat baloney units)
                                    2300/350 = $6.5 BBU

                                    Maybe we should make a poll - "What is your boat's BBU?"

                                    Frank