RE: [bolger] Re: plastic coating

  • David Romasco
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
      Sheesh, this list covers ALL topics!

      'Water glass' is simply sodium silicate dissolved in water. You can
      probably obtain it at any commercial chemical supply house. Amount
      dissolved controls viscosity (your experience may vary, in other words).
      Suspect the coating wouldn't survive the dishwasher test.....

      David Romasco

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
        "water glass" is Sodium Silicate and has been around forever. We used to
        get it at the drug store.

        sodium silicate
        n.
        Any of various water-soluble silicate glass compounds used as a preservative
        for eggs, in plaster and cement, and in various purification and refining
        processes. Also called soluble glass, water glass.

        Roger
        derbyrm@...
        http://derbyrm.mystarband.net

        > Can you give us more information on this product? Dealers, specs
        > anything.
        >
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mi'ki <mike78612003@y...> wrote:
        > > just located a possible proofing product, it is used to make eggs
        > safe for long storage with out the use of refrigeration , you clean
        > the fresh eggs and then coat with something called, water glass.
        > and it is very cheap, it is supposed to penatrade the surface and
        > permanently seal and its water proof, says it can go on any porus
        > surface., has any one tried it, The label says it can keep cleaned
        > eggs at room temperature for six months.
      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
          > "water glass" is Sodium Silicate and has been around forever.

          Is this not the stuff used to line a wooden mold before a pour of
          molten lead?

          Peter
        • David Romasco
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
            Peter, I think you're correct. Maybe it WOULD pass the dishwasher test....

            David Romasco

            > "water glass" is Sodium Silicate and has been around forever.

            Is this not the stuff used to line a wooden mold before a pour of
            molten lead?

            Peter

            Bolger rules!!!
            (978) 282-1349

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • 106146.2313
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
              I remember that in England the stuff is called "isinglass", and my lttle
              dictionary shows it as a product got from sturgeons.

              Alvan Eames.
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
                Maybe not - it depends on if it is still water soluble after it is
                applied. I suspect that it is.

                Bill

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David Romasco" <dromasco@g...> wrote:
                > Peter, I think you're correct. Maybe it WOULD pass the dishwasher
                test....

                > David Romasco

              • dnjost
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
                  This is the stuff I used to coat the wooden mold for my Micro. I got
                  it from another builder of boats. It only took a small amount 2
                  pints? to coat the entire mold. The mold is still useable!

                  David Jost
                  "former owner of Firefly, reading the AS29 discussions religiously."
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
                    --- dnjost wrote:
                    > reading the AS29
                    > discussions religiously.

                    My collection of AS-29 plans
                    is in part illegible. I cannot
                    read the number describing the
                    amount of lead ballast...does
                    that really read 8,000 lbs!

                    The other note that describes
                    3,000 lbs of foam and 3,000 of
                    wood buoyancy would result in a
                    'sinker'...but I thought that AS-29
                    had positive buoyancy. What am
                    I missing?
                  • earlgasner
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mi'ki <mike78612003@y...> wrote:
                      > just located a possible proofing product, it is used to make eggs
                      safe for long storage with out the use of refrigeration , you clean
                      the fresh eggs and then coat with something called, water glass.
                      and it is very cheap, it is supposed to penatrade the surface and
                      permanently seal and its water proof, says it can go on any porus
                      surface., has any one tried it, The label says it can keep cleaned
                      eggs at room temperature for six months.

                      isinglass:

                      1. a gelatine from the swim bladder of sturgeon.

                      2. thin mica, used for windows as for a "Surrey with a fringe on the
                      top that you can roll right down in case there is a change in the
                      weather" and as for old kerosene heating stoves).

                      3. Any of various water-soluble silicate glass compounds used as a
                      preservative for eggs, in plaster and cement, and in various
                      purification and refining processes. Also called soluble glass, water
                      glass. (The 'glue' in corrugated paper boxes.)
                    • Frank San Miguel
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 2, 2003
                        2000lbs lead.
                        The total boat is 7300lbs displacement.
                        The boat has significant positive boyancy.

                        I couldn't find the note about foam and boyancy. Is it on the
                        building key or the drawings?

                        Frank
                        Landenberg, PA

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                          --- Frank San Miguel wrote:

                          > I couldn't find the note about foam
                          > and buoyancy. Is it on the
                          > building key or the drawings?

                          I have never read the building key,
                          [and would love to read it!]. There
                          is a note on the drawing in the
                          chapter of the book BWAOM, but you
                          need a magnifying glass to read it.

                          "Total Foam Buoyancy 50 CF = 3,000 lbs.
                          Positive Buoyancy of wood structure about
                          3,000 lbs.: Boat will be stable with about
                          2 ft freeboard fully flooded."

                          The 2,000 of lead, I imagine, could be
                          cast into manhandle-able pieces. One
                          piece, 1 1/2" by 3 1/2" by 3' 4 1/2" would
                          weight about 100 lbs... ten per side.

                          > 2000lbs lead. The total boat
                          > is 7300lbs displacement.

                          I rough numbers, 5,300 lbs of wood is
                          about 1,800 board feet costing perhaps
                          $3,600 premium grade, or half that if
                          shop grade $1,800.

                          How much epoxy? 30 gallons? $995?

                          Plus, about the same labor as a Superbrick.

                          $4,000 for hull, $2,000 for sails, $2,000 for
                          motor.
                        • Richard Spelling
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                            Boat Baloney = $2 - $4 a pound.

                            7300lbs displacement make this about a $15000 boat.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                              --- Richard Spelling wrote:
                              > Boat Baloney = $2 - $4 a pound.

                              I can dream can't I? ...

                              2,000 of lead equals only
                              30 five gallon buckets of
                              'free' wheel weights, melted
                              with 'scrounged' firewood
                              in 'salvaged' metal paint
                              buckets. Cost $0.

                              One sheet of 1/2 CDX plywood
                              weighs 50 pounds and costs
                              $22 = $0.44 per pound much
                              less than $2 to $4 / pound.

                              MDO is still less than $1/lb
                              and results in much epoxy, cloth
                              sandpaper and time saved.

                              Heck, Raka epoxy costs less than
                              $5 per pound.

                              Money only starts adding up when
                              you go out buying motors and the
                              electronics...motors can be
                              scrounged and electronics can be
                              skimped.

                              A poly tarp main sail on AS-29 might
                              be a stretch, but one could re-cut a
                              used sail found free by dumpster
                              diving at the marina. The mizzen
                              could be polytarp.
                            • Peter Lenihan
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@c...>
                                wrote:
                                > Boat Baloney = $2 - $4 a pound.
                                >
                                > 7300lbs displacement make this about a $15000 boat.

                                $6.50-$7.00 CAN.......just for the boat......no transportation cost
                                to boat building site, no storage fees etc...etc...etc....you've
                                gotta give yerself some breathing room for a ton of ancilliary cost
                                and all of this over several months/years........

                                Peter Lenihan
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                                  --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                                  > $6.50-$7.00 CAN.......just for the boat

                                  So, my 1,200 lb Micro Navigator
                                  would cost $8K Canadian?

                                  I might be fooling myself, but
                                  my mental accounting ledger still
                                  totals less than $1,000.

                                  [Not counting bandaids, tools,
                                  electric bill, coffee, rent paid
                                  for my garage/shop, karma.]
                                • Peter Lenihan
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                                    > --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                                    > > $6.50-$7.00 CAN.......just for the boat
                                    >
                                    > So, my 1,200 lb Micro Navigator
                                    > would cost $8K Canadian?
                                    >
                                    > I might be fooling myself, but
                                    > my mental accounting ledger still
                                    > totals less than $1,000.
                                    >
                                    > [Not counting bandaids, tools,
                                    > electric bill, coffee, rent paid
                                    > for my garage/shop, karma.]

                                    Bruce,
                                    Your Micro Navigator"could" cost that much......it all depends
                                    on what standard you want to build to ;-). My Micro cost a kitten's
                                    hair over $6000.00 CAN. to build in 1993 and I've got the bills to
                                    prove it. Sure,I also could have gotten a gold medal in"dumpster
                                    diving" too had I really worked at it but I was;
                                    a)too damned lazy.
                                    b)too damned stupid
                                    c)too much of a fraddy cat
                                    d)too damned proud
                                    I suppose any of the above could be made to "fit" but in truth
                                    I really wanted a Micro YACHT and a vessel to try out my growing
                                    inventory of woodworking skills.The logic being that any big time
                                    booboos would not cost me an arm and a leg on such a small boat.
                                    As I gradually assemble WINDERMERE, I lean heavily on the
                                    experiences gained through the MICRO and catch myself sometimes about
                                    to make another booboo just in ther nick of time.........I am glad I
                                    did my MICRO the way I did.
                                    It all boils down to what your end objective is with a self
                                    made boat.C'est la vie!

                                    sincerely,
                                    Peter Lenihan......who almost got spooked early this morning by what
                                    I took to be FROST on the windshield.........
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                                      --- Peter Lenihan wrote:
                                      > I really wanted a Micro YACHT

                                      I have seen photo's of your work,
                                      and you *do* achieve a yacht finish,
                                      very impressive!

                                      My level of finish is more of the
                                      'looks good from 50 feet' quality.

                                      I do think that my work is strong,
                                      though not all that smooth.

                                      I would rather have *two* rough finish
                                      boats: instead of *one* shiny boat.

                                      Another little appreciated virtue
                                      of the 'value added' of cheap and
                                      scrounged materials, [here in California
                                      at least], is that they are tax free!
                                    • Peter Lenihan
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                                        > Another little appreciated virtue
                                        > of the 'value added' of cheap and
                                        > scrounged materials, [here in California
                                        > at least], is that they are tax free!

                                        No argument there Bruce.....even our government has yet to figure out
                                        how to tax"junk" but I figure it is just a question of time, not
                                        desire.
                                        Now,if they could just figure out how to get us some nice warm sunny
                                        California weather up here all year long........I'd go back to voting
                                        for the crooks:-)

                                        Peter Lenihan
                                      • Frank San Miguel
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 3, 2003
                                          My AF3, Cream Cheese, cost 2300 without the trailer, but I could have
                                          gotten it down to 1500 if I had really tried which I wasn't. An I
                                          only used ACX plywood since she is a little trailer sailor.

                                          http://www.geocities.com/sanmi/creamcheese/costs.html

                                          She weighs about 350 lbs with gear.
                                          1500/350 = $4.3 BBU (boat baloney units)
                                          2300/350 = $6.5 BBU

                                          Maybe we should make a poll - "What is your boat's BBU?"

                                          Frank