  • John Cupp
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi to all the group and my update for the group. My wife and I just
      laid the bottom on our brick using the plastic sheeting and copper.
      What a bright finish the copper provides but there are things not to
      do. After buying the sheeting at my local wall mart I let it sit in
      my metal shop. The first part of the roll developed wrinkles. Before
      you use it you have to let it set out flat to get the wrinkled part
      out.

      You need to also use a roller to smooth out the air bubbles. I just
      used regular fiberglass plastic paddles but I have come to the
      conclusion that a roller is a better tool. finally the finish you
      get will be ultra smooth and bright. It fairs out much better than
      the standard method and you get the best finish in the world. I can
      attest to the fact that a copper bottom beautifies your boat but how
      often do you look under the boat?

      Now to the JointAbility article at Duckworks. I had the tool for 4
      months and now it seems that making scarph joints has become much
      easier than ever before. If you even think you might build a boat
      longer than eight feet please read the article. You can also get the
      information packet from http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/ and you'll find
      this tool indispensable. Just to let you know I have a series of
      before the holidays articles I'm doing that include the new Briggs &
      Stratton outboard I've been testing, Japanese saws by Shark Saws, A
      new adjustable slot tool that adjusts from 1/4" to 1/2" by turning a
      dial. The new Freud no sand blades that polish the wood as they cut
      and a comprehensive multiple wood planer article that tests the most
      popular brands and I'll tell you how they performed in my shop. Plus
      many others so you can let your significant other know what to put
      under the tree this year to make your boat building more pleasurable.

      That's all for now, so in a few weeks I'll tell you how my bow roof
      shed is being built and the Bolger Zephyr. I am going to put a
      cutter rig on it instead of the lateen sail that is standard.

      Have fun,

      John Cupp
    • John Cupp
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003