Re: water proof wood

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003

      >> -I've got a $20 gallon of water borne Kilz Premium I'm about to test.

      > Mark, Kilz....I bet this will work well except below the waterline in boats which are stored in the water. Let us know.

      Pretty sure it'll be fine for dry sailed boats. I actually went to the HD for a gallon of
      the Bullseye 1-2-3 waterborne but noticed in the fine print, "Not for immersion in water."
      If you asked the Kilz company directly, bet they'd make the same disclaimer. So I guess
      I'm punishing Bullseye for their honesty and attention to detail, but absolutely did not
      want to blunder.

      Ever read Billy Bathgate? "Because no one said not to."
      Mark
    • Don Tyson
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
        I belieive that Kilz (not Kilz II) is the chemical equivalent of pure shellac and white die.
        I have seen articles buy, I think Payson And also Parker who mention that sheathing other than glass could be used on boats in conjunction with coating such as Urethane and Latex paint. Products discussed were muslin, canvas, Nylon, etc.

        Mark <marka@...> wrote:

        >> -I've got a $20 gallon of water borne Kilz Premium I'm about to test.

        > Mark, Kilz....I bet this will work well except below the waterline in boats which are stored in the water. Let us know.

        Pretty sure it'll be fine for dry sailed boats. I actually went to the HD for a gallon of
        the Bullseye 1-2-3 waterborne but noticed in the fine print, "Not for immersion in water."
        If you asked the Kilz company directly, bet they'd make the same disclaimer. So I guess
        I'm punishing Bullseye for their honesty and attention to detail, but absolutely did not
        want to blunder.

        Ever read Billy Bathgate? "Because no one said not to."
        Mark

        Bolger rules!!!

      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
          > sheathing other than glass could be used on boats
          > in conjunction with coating such as Urethane and Latex paint.
          > Products discussed were muslin, canvas, Nylon, etc.

          It has certainly been common enough with canoes and cabin tops.

          Peter
        • Don Tyson
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2003
            ...........And long before Epoxy was invented.

            pvanderwaart <pvanderw@...> wrote:> sheathing other than glass could be used on boats