Freeboard

  • eliallegra
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
      Hi. I am wondering how much freeboard amidships do the micro and the
      as 29 have. Or What is the distance from the deck level to the chine.
      Phillip
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
        Both the Micro, [& Micro Navigator, which
        I am building], and the AS-29 are designed
        with the openings *only* on the center line
        of the boat. With ballast, to make sure the
        centerline boat openings always point up.

        I am not sure how to measure freeboard with
        boats like this...If freeboard is measured
        as how far the water would need to rise to
        flood the boat, you would measure up from
        the waterline to the shearline [intersection
        of side and deck], and then add the distance
        across the deck to the centerline openings?

        The distance from waterline to shearline in a
        Micro is about 20 inches. With the AS-29 the
        distance is 3 ft 5 inches.

        I guess that a freeboard measurment makes more
        sense with an 'open boat' like a skiff etc..

        The Micro and the AS-29 are essentially floating
        boxes that would be very hard to flood. With the
        hatches in place, they wouldn't flood even in
        a breaking sea, I believe.