Re: More on Alisa - and thanks!

  • dvacanti
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2003
      Does it make any sense to rip out the bilge board cases but not
      replace them? You could use leeboards instead. Doesn't seem like that
      big of a change to me and would probable save you a lot of work. It
      would also eliminate the leaks in the bilge board cases permanently.

      -Mike

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Frank San Miguel" <sanmi@y...> wrote:
      > I extend my sincere thanks to all who have made suggestions.
      >
      > Here's a summary of the responses so far:
      > - build a new bottom and place the superstructure on top
      > - replace affected areas with stitch and glue style radius chine
      > - cover the whole thing in fiberglass ("Covering Wooden Boats With
      > Fiberglass," by Allan H. Vaitses )
      > - cover it with some more plywood (George Bueller)
      >
      > Alisa has leaker her whole life. When I bought Alisa, I was
      confident
      > that I could fix the leaking, but that has proven overly
      optimistic.
      > I think most of the damage has happened since coming to Maryland
      with
      > our heat and humidity. Here's where the water came from:
      >
      > 1. leaks from the chines. The chines were only radiused .5" but the
      > drawings called for a 1" radius. I've got more detail about my
      > repairs to the chines on my website (
      > http://www.geocities.com/sanmi/alisa/refit-report-2002/refit-report-
      2002.html
      > ). I fixed that problem last year.
      >
      > 2. leaks from the bilgeboard cases
      > This is the one that got me. The cases just weren't watertight from
      > the very beginning (they are kind of complicated). I don't have
      > sufficient access get in there to fix these problems, and its too
      late
      > besides.

      < big snip >

      > Frank
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2003
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dvacanti" <mike_vacanti@h...> wrote:
        > Does it make any sense to rip out the bilge board cases but not
        > replace them? You could use leeboards instead. Doesn't seem like
        that
        > big of a change to me and would probable save you a lot of work. It
        > would also eliminate the leaks in the bilge board cases permanently.
        >
        > -Mike

        Actually, if leeboards were used, one really would not
        need to rip-out the old trunks; just sheath over their
        openings.

        Max
      • sctree
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2003
          Then connect the new "ballast tanks" with some pipe and a pump so you
          can transfer the water to the windward rail...

          Rick-

          vexatious2001 wrote:

          > Actually, if leeboards were used, one really would not
          > need to rip-out the old trunks; just sheath over their
          > openings.
          >

          > Max

        • Frank San Miguel
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2003
            interesting ...

            Thanks again to everyone. Needless to say, Alisa is no longer for
            sale. I'm going to take some time to think about my next steps.

            Frank
            Landenbgerg, PA

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, sctree <sctree@d...> wrote:
            > Then connect the new "ballast tanks" with some pipe and a pump so you
            > can transfer the water to the windward rail...
            >
            > Rick-
            >
            > vexatious2001 wrote:
            >

            > > Actually, if leeboards were used, one really would not
            > > need to rip-out the old trunks; just sheath over their
            > > openings.
            > >

            > > Max

          • Don Tyson
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
              Frank, Where is landenberg, PA. Maybe I could swing by and look at it. I have a little experience restoring and alot of glue mixing experience.
              Don
              Easton, PA

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, sctree wrote:
              > Then connect the new "ballast tanks" with some pipe and a pump so you
              > can transfer the water to the windward rail...
              >
              > Rick-
              >
              > vexatious2001 wrote:
              >

              > > Actually, if leeboards were used, one really would not
              > > need to rip-out the old trunks; just sheath over their
              > > openings.
              > >

              > > Max

              Bolger rules!!!