Re: hp, hull, what happens?

  • jas_orr
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2003
      Hi Dick

      Here's my opinion, based on three years experience with one motor,
      saiing on the ocean in most conditions.

      Like everyone else, I figure my choice is the best, but here's some
      of the things to consider. My 5 hp four stroke engine weighs 60
      pounds, gas is extra. I carry a 3 US gallon remote tank in the motor
      well. That's enough weight in there already, so I wouldn't go to a
      heavier motor. The 5 hp gives me hull speed (5,5 knots) at less than
      full throttle on flat water, more power just digs a bigger hole with
      little or no extra speed.

      BTW, I believe 3 gallons gives me about a 45 mile range in most
      conditions -- I've never tested it fully, but 2 gallons (US) gave me
      30 miles, part of that against a strong tide. I like the remote tank
      because I can cross the straits without having to refuel while I'm
      bouncing around on the water. (The more horsepower, the more fuel
      you'll burn too.)

      I like the short shaft. I've skinned over some shallows where the
      long shaft would have hit the bottom, but since the short shaft is
      the same depth as the Chebacco skeg, the worst I've done is stir up
      some mud and gravel. I've never had a problem with the prop coming
      out of the water, even when pitching up and down against wind and

      Speaking of which , I don't know how small an engine would do the job
      going into strong winds and waves. I looked at a 4 hp Yamaha four
      stroke before I found my used Honda, and I thought it would be okay,
      but I think a 2 hp would be too small to make any headway, although
      it would be fine for good weather. I've sometimes had to turn the
      power right up on the 5 hp to make any progress at all. Tides are
      another consideration, but if they exceed your hull speed, it doesn't
      matter how big the engine is.

      That's about it -- think about weight, depth, fuel capacity, and what
      kind of conditions you'll be sailing in. Lake sailing might need
      less power, with no tides and generally smaller waves.

      Jamie Orr

      PS Does anyone know why motor manufacturers put the lifting
      latch/release right at the back, down behind everything else?