Re: shoal draft cruising-Yadda Yadda Yadda

  • Frank San Miguel
    Message 1 of 92 , Sep 27, 2003
      In fact, Deutz offers an "cabin heater" option.

      Deutz engines are not like diesel truck engines. There is no
      glycol-water coolant. Instead, oil circulates through the engine
      block and around the cylinders. Each cylinder is individually
      replaceable and the heat is transferred directly to the oil. The oil
      is pumped to a radiator. The engines are much more reliable than
      normal diesel engines.

      I believe the heater unit is simply another radiator that you blow
      cabin air through. Deutz engines are used on heavy construction and
      industrial applications where you need to heat the cab of the dump
      truck etc.

      Don't know about water heat, but I imagine you could do something with
      all of that hot oil.

      Frank San Miguel
      -- maybe one day I will get a Deutze inside of a big Bolger Boat.

      > >Don Tyson wrote:
      > >At least there would be no carb icing on marinized aircraft engines.
      > >Also, using any type of air cooled engine, that I'm aware of, there
      would not be a cheap source of cabin heat or hot water for showers
      since there isn't a water filled heat exchanger. Something to think
      about even with the Deutz.

    • Frank San Miguel
      Message 92 of 92 , Sep 27, 2003