Re: Seabird Variations

  • nohnpages
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
      Bolger has 3 versions of the Seabird'86. First a version with a
      dipping lug sail and an unstayed wodden mast. Second with a gaff-rigg
      an an unstayed alu-mast. Third, the gaff-rig version with a dog-house,
      navigator-like. The original Seabird is not from Herreshoff.If I
      remember correctly, she is from Mower designed in 1920's. I've no
      access to my correct sources this moment.
      The recent launch is a Bolger Seabird'86 with some modifications.
      The mainly modifcation is to put the mast 3ft more foreward to fit a
      junk rig.
      Stefan
      > --- dbaldnz wrote:
      > > Seabird Variations
      >
      > I am confused, and have heard
      > of the Bolger Seabird '86,
      > which, I think, is derivative
      > of an old Herreshoff [Nat or LF?]
      > masterpiece from the early
      > 20th century _Seabird_.
      >
      > Is the recent launch of a
      > 'Seabird' the Bolger Seabird'86?
      >
      > Or, are their more than one
      > Bolger 'Seabirds'? Which book,
      > or which MAIB describes it/them?
    • dbaldnz
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "nohnpages" <nohnmusik@g...> wrote:
        > Bolger has 3 versions of the Seabird'86. First a version with a
        > dipping lug sail and an unstayed wodden mast. Second with a gaff-
        rigg
        > an an unstayed alu-mast. Third, the gaff-rig version with a dog-
        house,
        > navigator-like.

        Actually nearly identical to the pilot house version of Chebacco.
        DonB
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
          Cool, I think this is a picture of the
          Mower Seabird.

          http://www.mastermariners.org/p-duchess.html

          --- nohnpages wrote:
          > The original Seabird is not from
          > Herreshoff.If I
          > remember correctly, she is from Mower
        • sctree
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 25, 2003
            Don,

            I have to disagree with part of your comment below, the "nearly
            identical" part.

            Although they share some similarities, like both are 5 panel plywood
            construction, the hulls are very different. Seabird '86's hull sits much
            lower in the water, Chebacco with a flatter bottom (wider bottom panel)
            sits up on the water. The houses are quite different as well. I have
            built cardboard models of both and will take photos of them side by side
            and post 'em when I get a chance.

            Also, compare the numbers.

            Seabird '86
            23' x 7'9" x 2'6"

            Chebacco #2
            19'8" x 7'5" x 1'6"

            Rick-

            dbaldnz wrote:

            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "nohnpages" <nohnmusik@g...> wrote:
            > > Bolger has 3 versions of the Seabird'86. First a version with a
            > > dipping lug sail and an unstayed wodden mast. Second with a gaff-
            > rigg
            > > an an unstayed alu-mast. Third, the gaff-rig version with a dog-
            > house,
            > > navigator-like.
            >
            > Actually nearly identical to the pilot house version of Chebacco.
            > DonB
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065791:HM/A=1732163/R=0/SIG=11n0nglqg/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=30510&media=zone>

            > Fax: (978) 282-1349

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          • dbaldnz
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
              Oh, I only meant the deckhouse was very similar to the one on the
              pilot house version of Chebacco.......not the hulls.
              I am sure the Pilot house Chebacco, shown as the wallpaper
              background to the class news is similar?
              I will be interested to see your models.
              DonB

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, sctree <sctree@d...> wrote:
              > Don,
              >
              > I have to disagree with part of your comment below, the "nearly
              > identical" part.
              >
              > Although they share some similarities, like both are 5 panel
              plywood
              > construction, the hulls are very different. Seabird '86's hull
              sits much
              > lower in the water, Chebacco with a flatter bottom (wider bottom
              panel)
              > sits up on the water. The houses are quite different as well. I
              have
              > built cardboard models of both and will take photos of them side
              by side
              > and post 'em when I get a chance.
              >
              > Also, compare the numbers.
              >
              > Seabird '86
              > 23' x 7'9" x 2'6"
              >
              > Chebacco #2
              > 19'8" x 7'5" x 1'6"
              >
              > Rick-
              >
              > dbaldnz wrote:
              >
              > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "nohnpages" <nohnmusik@g...>
              wrote:
              > > > Bolger has 3 versions of the Seabird'86. First a version with a
              > > > dipping lug sail and an unstayed wodden mast. Second with a
              gaff-
              > > rigg
              > > > an an unstayed alu-mast. Third, the gaff-rig version with a
              dog-
              > > house,
              > > > navigator-like.
              > >
              > > Actually nearly identical to the pilot house version of Chebacco.
              > > DonB
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
              705065791:HM/A=1732163/R=0/SIG=11n0nglqg/*http://www.ediets.com/start
              .cfm?code=30510&media=zone>

              > > Bolger rules!!!
              > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead
              horses
              > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks,
              Fred' posts
              > > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip
              away
              > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
              01930,
              > > Fax: (978) 282-1349

              Service

            • dbaldnz
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
                Bruce, there is yet another 'update' of the Seabird design, by
                William Garden, which was sponsered by Rudder magazine if I remember
                rightly, for home construction, around 1973. I never saw one built,
                and as I remember (I have a photocopy somewhere), it was rather an
                ugly boat with none of the usual Garden or Bolger charm, or the
                original for that matter.
                DonB
                > --- dbaldnz wrote:
                > > Seabird Variations
                >
                > I am confused, and have heard
                > of the Bolger Seabird '86,
                > which, I think, is derivative
                > of an old Herreshoff [Nat or LF?]
                > masterpiece from the early
                > 20th century _Seabird_.
                >
                > Is the recent launch of a
                > 'Seabird' the Bolger Seabird'86?
                >
                > Or, are their more than one
                > Bolger 'Seabirds'? Which book,
                > or which MAIB describes it/them?
              • Roger Derby
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
                  The current plans for Chebacco include a "cruising conversion," but not the
                  pilot house version. Personally, I much prefer the looks of the cruising
                  conversion.

                  My son seems anxious to get me out of the shop and onto the water, so he
                  sent me an ebay add for an Aquarius 23. It's twice as big as the Chebacco.
                  (2300 lbs vs 1200 lbs) What's the estimated displacement for the Seabird?

                  Roger
                  derbyrm@...
                  http://derbyrm.mystarband.net

                  > Oh, I only meant the deckhouse was very similar to the one on the
                  > pilot house version of Chebacco.......not the hulls.
                  > I am sure the Pilot house Chebacco, shown as the wallpaper
                  > background to the class news is similar?
                  > I will be interested to see your models.
                  > DonB
                  >

                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, sctree <sctree@d...> wrote:
                  > > Don,
                  > >
                  > > I have to disagree with part of your comment below, the
                  > > "nearly identical" part.
                  > >
                  > > Although they share some similarities, like both are 5
                  > > panel plywood
                  > > construction, the hulls are very different. Seabird '86's
                  > > hull sits much lower in the water, Chebacco with a
                  > > flatter bottom (wider bottom panel)
                  > > sits up on the water. The houses are quite different
                  > > as well. I have built cardboard models of both and
                  > > will take photos of them side by side
                  > > and post 'em when I get a chance.
                  > >
                  > > Also, compare the numbers.
                  > >
                  > > Seabird '86
                  > > 23' x 7'9" x 2'6"
                  > >
                  > > Chebacco #2
                  > > 19'8" x 7'5" x 1'6"
                  > >
                  > > Rick-
                  > >
                  > > dbaldnz wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "nohnpages" <nohnmusik@g...>
                  > gaff-
                  > > > rigg
                  > dog-
                  > > > house,
                  > > >
                  > > > Actually nearly identical to the pilot house version of Chebacco.
                  > > > DonB
                  > > >

                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > > >
                  > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
                  > 705065791:HM/A=1732163/R=0/SIG=11n0nglqg/*http://www.ediets.com/start
                  > .cfm?code=30510&media=zone>
                  > > >

                  > > > Bolger rules!!!
                  > > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead
                  > horses
                  > > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks,
                  > Fred' posts
                  > > > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip
                  > away
                  > > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
                  > 01930,
                  > > > Fax: (978) 282-1349
                  > > > - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  > > > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  > Service
                  > > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                  (978) 282-1349

                • pvanderwaart
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
                    > update of the Seabird design, by
                    > William Garden

                    This Seabird II version is in one of Garden's books. I always thought
                    it had a certain charm and would have like to see one built.
                    Eventually a used boat showed up on Yachtworld that seemed to be the
                    same hull, or nearly, with a regular sloop rig and a different
                    interior arrangement. I have to agree **that** boat was non-descript.

                    Someone, in this group or another, reported discussing the design
                    with Garden. He showed no enthusiasm and suggested building a
                    Thunderbird instead. Right now, you'd probably be better off buying
                    and refurbishing a Cape Dory 25.

                    Peter
                  • sctree
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
                      dbaldnz wrote:

                      > Oh, I only meant the deckhouse was very similar to the one on the
                      > pilot house version of Chebacco.......not the hulls.
                      > I am sure the Pilot house Chebacco, shown as the wallpaper
                      > background to the class news is similar?

                      Yes, that is if the one on the wallpaper is Richard's CLC, which I
                      understand is his design and construction, not Bolger's. Maybe Richard
                      will clarify.

                      The Bolger pilothouse for Seabird '86 can be seen here (I hope)
                      http://tinyurl.com/oscz

                      I don't have a postable sketch of Bolger's Chebacco pilothouse.... but
                      it's a much longer house, much more useful interior space.

                      Rick-

                    • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
                        Close, but that's one of the later versions of the design. The original
                        Seabird was 25' long, and was a collaboration between Thomas Fleming Day and
                        C. D. Mower. Day sailed the prototype across the Atlantic in 1910, or
                        thereabouts, to show that deep see yachting wasn't just for rich folks.
                        There were two larger versions drawn for yachting by designers other than
                        Mower, IIRC, they were called Naiad and Seagoer. Harry Pidgeon sailed a 34'
                        Seagoer around the world a few times. Here are some shots of a Seabird now
                        hauled out at the Charleston shipyard:

                        http://www.boat-links.com/images/Seabird-1.jpg

                        http://www.boat-links.com/images/Seabird-2.jpg

                        http://www.boat-links.com/images/Seabird-3.jpg

                        I think I saw a Seagoer at the Port Townsend festival earlier this month,
                        but don't recall if I got a picture.

                        --
                        John <jkohnen@...>
                        http://www.boat-links.com/
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 26, 2003
                          I've uploaded the newer photos to my homepage.
                          There are model photos and some information about the
                          Seabird'86 design.
                          look at:
                          http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/Seabirdgoingaround.html
                          Stefan

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, sctree <sctree@d...> wrote:

                          > dbaldnz wrote:
                          >
                          > > Oh, I only meant the deckhouse was very similar to the one on the
                          > > pilot house version of Chebacco.......not the hulls.
                          > > I am sure the Pilot house Chebacco, shown as the wallpaper
                          > > background to the class news is similar?
                          >
                          > Yes, that is if the one on the wallpaper is Richard's CLC, which I
                          > understand is his design and construction, not Bolger's. Maybe
                          Richard
                          > will clarify.
                          >
                          > The Bolger pilothouse for Seabird '86 can be seen here (I hope)
                          > http://tinyurl.com/oscz
                          >
                          > I don't have a postable sketch of Bolger's Chebacco pilothouse....
                          but
                          > it's a much longer house, much more useful interior space.
                          >
                          > Rick-
                          >

                          > > I will be interested to see your models.
                          > > DonB
                        • dbaldnz
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 27, 2003
                            Great photos Stefan, and a beautiful boat you have created.
                            Your heart must have been in your mouth when your ship was flying
                            with the birds!
                            The shots in a village......very charming....which part of the world
                            is it?
                            DonB

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "nohnpages" <nohnmusik@g...> wrote:
                            > I've uploaded the newer photos to my homepage.
                            > There are model photos and some information about the
                            > Seabird'86 design.
                            > look at:
                            > http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/Seabirdgoingaround.html
                            > Stefan
                          • Peter Lenihan
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 27, 2003
                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz" <oink@p...> wrote:
                              >which part of the world
                              > is it?

                              I'll bet he's on the opposite side of the globe from where you're
                              sitting Don :-)

                              I'll also second all the praise you've recieved Stephan for a lovely
                              rendering of the Bolger SEABIRD 86

                              Peter Lenihan
                            • Dianne Yates
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 27, 2003
                                On Saturday, September 27, 2003, at 04:09 AM, dbaldnz wrote:

                                > Great photos Stefan, and a beautiful boat you have created.
                                > Your heart must have been in your mouth when your ship was flying
                                > with the birds!
                                > The shots in a village......very charming....which part of the world
                                > is it?
                                > DonB
                                >
                                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "nohnpages" <nohnmusik@g...> wrote:
                                > > I've uploaded the newer photos to my homepage.
                                > > There are model photos and some information about the
                                > > Seabird'86 design.
                                > > look at:
                                > > http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/Seabirdgoingaround.html
                                > > Stefan

                                <image.tiff>

                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 27, 2003
                                  > The original Seabird was 25' long,
                                  > and was a collaboration
                                  > between Thomas Fleming Day and
                                  > C. D. Mower.

                                  Bolger 'updated' the Seabird with
                                  his Seabird'86, but LF Herreshoff
                                  seems to also have updated it with
                                  his 'H-28', featured in the book
                                  _Sensible Crusing Designs_ quote:

                                  "In a great many ways H-28, I suppose,
                                  will be the successor to the Sea Bird,
                                  designed by the late C.D. Mower for the
                                  editor of the _The Rudder_, Mr. Thomas
                                  Fleming Day...Sea Bird's drawings were
                                  in _The Rudder_ page 429 November,
                                  1901."

                                  Page 429!, I would love to read that
                                  boating magazine.

                                  Herreshoff's H-28 also looks to be
                                  a fine boat, and the chapter is a
                                  good read too. [All Yahoo Bolger
                                  Group threads end up talking about
                                  toilets, don't they?] The H-28
                                  chapter also includes a legondary
                                  L.F. Herreshoff essay about the joy
                                  of the cedar bucket.
                                • Roger Derby
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 27, 2003
                                    Some magazines number pages starting with one for the first page of the
                                    January issue and continue consecutively thru the year.

                                    • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 27, 2003
                                        Of course I meant that the boats were drawn for _Rudder_, where T. F. Day
                                        was editor.

                                        On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:36:25 -0700, I wrote:
                                        > There were two larger versions drawn for yachting by designers other than
                                        > Mower, IIRC, they were called Naiad and Seagoer. Harry Pidgeon sailed a 34'
                                        > Seagoer around the world a few times.

                                        John <jkohnen@...>
                                        http://www.boat-links.com/
                                        When men come to love sea-life, they are not fit to live on land.
                                        <Samuel Johnson>
                                      • Susan Davis
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 8, 2003
                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "nohnpages" <nohnmusik@g...> wrote:
                                          > I've uploaded the newer photos to my homepage.
                                          > There are model photos and some information about the
                                          > Seabird'86 design.
                                          > look at:
                                          > http://ca.geocities.com/nohnpages/Seabirdgoingaround.html

                                          She's beautiful, and I'm having to forcibly remind myself that I
                                          really don't need yet another boat on top of the Insolent 60. :-)

                                          How much does she weigh overall (trailer weight)? Did you stick
                                          with the interior drawn in the plans, or make something more
                                          elaborate?

                                          --
                                          Susan Davis <futabachan@...>