Sneakeasy, & silicon carbide grit

  • johnfader
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2003
      Silicon carbide abrasive is used in grinding optics. any supplier to the
      amateur telescope builders will have it in small quantities. The two
      i've bought from are Willman-Bell and Salem. Both have websites. I know
      they have it down to 60 grit, and likely Salem has it larger.

      Cheers/Carron
    • J. R. Sloan
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2003
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, johnfader <johnfader@b...> wrote:
        > Silicon carbide abrasive is used in grinding optics. any supplier
        to the
        > amateur telescope builders will have it in small quantities. The
        two
        > i've bought from are Willman-Bell and Salem. Both have websites. I
        know
        > they have it down to 60 grit, and likely Salem has it larger.
        >
        > Cheers/Carron

        Another source for carbide in larger grits and in limited quantities
        is DeepRock drilling (I assume a website is available). They
        manufacture a backyard well-drilling rig that has a rock-core cutter
        which the operator "sharpens" by brazing silicon carbide crystals
        onto a 2.5" diameter pipe. The last time I used this rig (20 yrs ago
        or so), the silicon carbide refill package was two paper bags, sent
        in the mail. I'm almost positive they would have just what you are
        looking for: carbide in the large-sand-grain size.
        JR Sloan