Re: Sneakeasy "Katie" report

  • chodges31711
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003

      > The Aussie had a local source which isn't worth much to us in the
      Northern
      > hemisphere. I searched for the stuff on the net and since I wanted
      a few
      > pounds, not several hopper cars full, didn't have any luck.

      I work for CE Minerals at the Andersonville mines. We crush and size
      fused white alumina and sintered tabular alumina. This is 99+%
      aluminum oxide like grinder discs are made from. We fuse it to get
      crystals and then fracture it to get the sharp edges. Sizes from 3
      mesh down to 325. It is very hard stuff and probably cheaper than
      carbide. I'm not in the marketing end but we package from 50 lb. bags
      to unit trains and ship loads. There are many other types of hard
      minerals that could be put in epoxy and would give good wear
      resistance. Maybe even granite fines from a stone cutters saw or
      monument carver.

      www.ceminerals.com

      Charles
    • chodges31711
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
        This site has a hardness scale in moh's.

        http://webmineral.com/help/Hardness.shtml

        diamond is 10, carbide is 9.5, corundum (Al. oxide) is 9.0
        Quartz (sand/ glass) is 7.0, steel is 5.5

        Most rocks are probably in the 3-5 range so if your coating is harder
        than steel (5.5) it should do the job. You would want it tough enough
        not to shatter and come off. The epoxy should bind it in a matrix and
        help that. An experiment with a small piece of wood might be
        worthwhile.

        Charles
      • Mark A.
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
          Others that are commonly used on the Northwest river running boats include mixed in
          graphite powder, or an overlay of UHMW.

          Mark

          chodges31711 wrote:
          > There are many other types of hard
          > minerals that could be put in epoxy and would give good wear
          > resistance. Maybe even granite fines from a stone cutters saw or
          > monument carver.
        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
            A recent boatbuilder magazine had an article on a experiment by a
            boatbuilding amateur. He found 1 layer of Xynole to be 6 times as
            abrasion resistant as 1 layer of 6 oz fiberglas. Because of the extra
            bulk of the xynole, it was only 2 times as resistant by thickness.

            HJ

            Roger Derby wrote:

            >I wish I had more details to give. As far as the mix goes, one just plays
            >around on test pieces until it feels right. (I suspect that the carbide
            >powder is non-thixatropic so one would add that stuff (colloidal silica)
            >first and then stir in the carbide.
            >
            >The Aussie had a local source which isn't worth much to us in the Northern
            >hemisphere. I searched for the stuff on the net and since I wanted a few
            >pounds, not several hopper cars full, didn't have any luck.
            >
            >Following a suggestion in MAIB from several years ago, I did experiment with
            >lime (from the garden shop) as a filler. Not bullet-proof like the carbide
            >would be, but it did give a hard surface and it was cheap. I used it on a
            >bulkhead which formed part of the anchor storage bin and could be expected
            >to get a lot of abuse. As above, I used colloidal silica first and then
            >added the lime.
            >
            >Roger
            >derbyrm@...
            >http://derbyrm.mystarband.net

          • philippe peltier
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4, 2003
              You should try to do the first layer of underwater paint with pitch
              epoxy.. Works great...see :
              HYPERLINK
              "http://www.surtech2000.co.uk/Wall%20Product%20Pages/pitchepoxy.html"htt
              p://www.surtech2000.co.uk/Wall%20Product%20Pages/pitchepoxy.html
              You may use any underwater paint over it..

              --
              Phil.

              chodges31711 wrote:
              > There are many other types of hard
              > minerals that could be put in epoxy and would give good wear
              > resistance. Maybe even granite fines from a stone cutters saw or
              > monument carver.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              HYPERLINK
              "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              065791:HM/A=1595053/R=0/SIG=124gf29oe/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitak
              enattogyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595053"Click Here!
              HYPERLINK
              "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1595053/rand=182267369"

              Bolger rules!!!
              - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930,
              Fax: (978) 282-1349

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the HYPERLINK

              ---
              Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

              ---