H&HS update

  • Susan Davis
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2003
      I'm starting to worry about whether _Shrike_ is going to be ready for
      the Provincetown race, let alone Kingston next weekend. Today, I

      * rebuilt bulkhead "D" to give compartment D-E a larger access
      hatch,
      * discovered that I installed bulkhead "C" on the wrong side of
      the frame (d'oh!), and will need to adjust the main mast step to
      compensate,
      * finished assembling the daggerboard, except for pouring the
      requisite 50 kilos of lead,
      * primed the headblocks for the keel and rudder trunks so that I
      can assemble them tomorrow, and
      * barrier coated the interior with epoxy.

      Tomorrow's plan, before departing for Toronto:

      * cut out the daggerboard slot,
      * install the daggerboard trunk,
      * install the rudder trunk,
      * finish paying the starboard chine with epoxy putty, and
      * finish assembling the sheer clamps.

      After that, I'll still need to

      * prime and paint the interior,
      * install foam and Reflectix,
      * install hatch hardware for hatch "D",
      * turn her over, and mow down the "flash" around the chines,
      * Cuprinol the bottom,
      * barrier coat the hull with epoxy,
      * sand off the epoxy drips,
      * cover the hull in Xynole and wet it out,
      * add two more coats of epoxy over that,
      * sand and fair,
      * prime the hull and sheer clamps,
      * strike the waterline on the hull,
      * coat the bottom and trunk interiors with VC-17,
      * paint the topsides and sheer clamps,
      * deliver _Y-1320_ to Palenville for my friend Cathy to restore
      (and to get her off _Shrike_'s trailer),
      * rebuild the trailer bunks,
      * flip the hull over again, possibly putting her on the trailer,
      * install the sheer clamps,
      * run out to the Orange Box for two more sheets of plywood,
      * trace and cut out the deck pieces,
      * make and install the deck carlins,
      * make and install the coamings for the cockpits,
      * install the knees for the forward cockpit,
      * cut out the slots in the deck for the rudder cartridge and
      daggerboard,
      * barrier coat both sides of the deck with epoxy,
      * install foam underneath the deck,
      * install the deck,
      * prime and paint the deck (with non-skid compound mixed in to the
      paint),
      * pour the lead for the bottom of the daggerboard keel,
      * bend the attachment straps for the rudder,
      * get Jase to do the spot-welding to fasten the rudder to the
      rudder post,
      * make the tiller and comb plate,
      * perform final assembly of the rudder cartridge,
      * make provisions for fids and retaining cords for the daggerboard
      and rudder cartridge,
      * cut the tiller comb slots in the aft coaming of the aft cockpit,
      * varnish the masts,
      * test fit the masts, and add fittings for the running rigging,
      * obtain a 360 degree white LED array for the main mast and
      install it,
      * make the stemhead fitting,
      * obtain cordage and run the sails up as a test,
      * install the rowlocks,
      * make a rowing seat slash bailing bucket slash expedient head,
      * install the lettering for her name and hailing port, and finally
      * conduct sea trials.

      That's rather a lot to accomplish. Yipes.

      --
      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        I can see you acquired this project 90% completed. To bad your not
        closer, the JNB (Juneau Non-organized Boatbuilders) would love to share
        the fun.

        HJ

      • Bruce Hector
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@p...> wrote: I
          can see you acquired this project 90% completed.

          Why is it that these 90% completed projects seem to require another
          90% of the labour to complete.

          Bruce Hector
          Back from ripping up some rotted ply of of his "90%" complleted Micro
          he bought this summer.
        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
            I think it has to do with our basic optimism. Boats that are 1/2 way
            done are 90% completed (it looks 90% done). The final cost will be
            approximately twice our realistic analyses at the beginning of the
            project. Guess how much time it is going to take compared to the
            original estimate?? I am sure this group can find the appropriate name
            for this condition.

            Silverliningitus?

            HJ