Chebacco 20 ideas?

  • Roger Derby
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
      I just received my plans set for the Chebacco 20. Any ideas?

      Right now I'm leaning towards the lapstrake version with the "Cruising"
      accommodations.

      Roger
      derbyrm@...
      http://derbyrm.mystarband.net
    • Ken Locarnini
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
        Are the plans for the cabin/house included?
        Ken
        I just received my plans set for the Chebacco 20. Any ideas?

        Right now I'm leaning towards the lapstrake version with the "Cruising"
        accommodations.

        Roger
        derbyrm@...
        http://derbyrm.mystarband.net

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Bolger rules!!!

      • welshman@ptialaska.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
          Build it??

          HJ

          I just received my plans set for the Chebacco 20. Any ideas?

          Roger
          derbyrm@...
          http://derbyrm.mystarband.net

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Ed Heins
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
            Check out www.chebacco.com Richard Spelling has kept a great Chebacco website up and publishes news.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
              Yes, but they're not quite the same as the layout in "Boats with an Open
              Mind." Improved in my opinion, they also feature a tabernacle for the mast.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
                Well, yes, but ...

                First I have to go thru the many sheets picking out the pieces I want to
                use; e.g. the main mast is on the sheet with the gaff rig, but the mizzen in
                on the sheet with the jib-headed rig. Bulkhead shapes and cut-outs are
                scattered even more and I haven't gotten them sorted out yet.

                Someone somewhere suggested making a model first and I may have to do that
                to make sure the choices work together.

                Why does each builder have to individually loft the lines to verify the
                off-sets? When many copies of a hull have been built, couldn't the later
                builders profit from an errata sheet? I understand why the builders of
                Constitution wanted to bevel the frames before erecting them, but for a 20'
                boat, can't one use battans on the molds and save one's knees?

                Expanded patterns for the sheet ply version are given, but not for the
                lap-strakes. I know at least one expert has lined off and built a beautiful
                hull; e.g. "Gray Cat" for sale by George Cobb ( listed on
                http://www.chebacco.com/ ) Did no one take patterns they could/would sell?

                I'm still waiting for PCB to reply to my fax re recommended engine size.
                Think Ohio River with 2 or 3 kts current (or more).

                Roger