Re:"after a 2 hour pull."

  • Hugo Tyson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
      That made me laugh reading that :"after a 2 hour pull."
      In Australia having a "pull" generally speaking means something entirely different from rowing,something usually done alone,indoors and certainly not in public view,unless you want to get arrested for indecent exposure and probably other various crimes relating to lewd behaviour!!!!

      I'm not criticising but just letting you know that some words have two meanings!!!!!!!!!!! My sometimes Schoolboy sense of humour found that phrase amusing with the bizarre mental image it created!.

    • David & Shirley Wallace
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
        Yep , noticed the same thing my self , I figured the reason Bruce fell out
        of his boat wasn't because he was drunk , he had just gone blind

        David Wallace

        > That made me laugh reading that :"after a 2 hour pull."
        > In Australia having a "pull" generally speaking means something entirely
        different from rowing,something usually done alone,indoors and certainly not
        in public view,unless you want to get arrested for indecent exposure and
        probably other various crimes relating to lewd behaviour!!!!

        > I'm not criticising but just letting you know that some words have two
        meanings!!!!!!!!!!! My sometimes Schoolboy sense of humour found that phrase
        amusing with the bizarre mental image it created!.

        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David & Shirley Wallace"
          <swallace@c...> wrote:

          > Yep , noticed the same thing my self , I figured the reason Bruce
          fell out
          > of his boat wasn't because he was drunk , he had just gone blind
          >

          > David Wallace

          Or the oars slipped out of his now hairy palmed hands? Or his spine
          curved over side-ways?Or his eyes rolled up into his skull?Weird the
          things the priest tought us in school.The damned things is, it hasn't
          happened yet and not for any lack of trying, arrrrgh matey!
          I wonder if in the marine literature the distinction isn't made
          between,"going for a pull" and "having a pull"? Could radically
          change the telling of many a tale:-)

          Sincerely,
          Peter"walking the thin line" Lenihan
        • Sam Glasscock
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2003
            An aquaintance of mine moved from Australia to
            the states twenty years ago. His first day on his new
            job at a firm in San Francisco happened to be the
            morning after some major foul-up had taken place on
            the job the day before. My aquinatance was going to
            see his boss in the back office, when he met a
            co-worker coming out. "I wouldn't go back in there"
            said the co-worker, "the boss is pissed." Now what
            the co-worker meant was "pissed," American slang for
            "angry, in a bad mood," but what my friend heard was
            "pissed," Austailian slang for drunk. He was
            surprised. "The boss is pissed?" he asked. "Man,"
            his co-worker said, "they are all pretty pissed back
            there."
            "Pissed at ten in the morning!" my friend said.
            "I AM in the right country."
            I find I am often half-pissed when having a pull
            out on the lake, what with the beer, and the
            horseflies, and the lonliness, and all. Sam

            --- Hugo Tyson <hhetyson@...> wrote:
            > That made me laugh reading that :"after a 2 hour
            > pull."
            > In Australia having a "pull" generally speaking
            > means something entirely different from
            > rowing,something usually done alone,indoors and
            > certainly not in public view,unless you want to get
            > arrested for indecent exposure and probably other
            > various crimes relating to lewd behaviour!!!!
            >
            > I'm not criticising but just letting you know that
            > some words have two meanings!!!!!!!!!!! My sometimes
            > Schoolboy sense of humour found that phrase amusing
            > with the bizarre mental image it created!.

            > removed]

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • David & Shirley Wallace
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 2003
              Two countries separated by a common language

              David Wallace

              > An aquaintance of mine moved from Australia to
              > the states twenty years ago. His first day on his new
              > job at a firm in San Francisco happened to be the
              > morning after some major foul-up had taken place on
              > the job the day before. My aquinatance was going to
              > see his boss in the back office, when he met a
              > co-worker coming out. "I wouldn't go back in there"
              > said the co-worker, "the boss is pissed." Now what
              > the co-worker meant was "pissed," American slang for
              > "angry, in a bad mood," but what my friend heard was
              > "pissed," Austailian slang for drunk. He was
              > surprised. "The boss is pissed?" he asked. "Man,"
              > his co-worker said, "they are all pretty pissed back
              > there."
              > "Pissed at ten in the morning!" my friend said.
              > "I AM in the right country."
              > I find I am often half-pissed when having a pull
              > out on the lake, what with the beer, and the
              > horseflies, and the lonliness, and all. Sam
              >
              > --- Hugo Tyson <hhetyson@...> wrote:
              > > That made me laugh reading that :"after a 2 hour
              > > pull."
              > > In Australia having a "pull" generally speaking
              > > means something entirely different from
              > > rowing,something usually done alone,indoors and
              > > certainly not in public view,unless you want to get
              > > arrested for indecent exposure and probably other
              > > various crimes relating to lewd behaviour!!!!
              > >
              > > I'm not criticising but just letting you know that
              > > some words have two meanings!!!!!!!!!!! My sometimes
              > > Schoolboy sense of humour found that phrase amusing
              > > with the bizarre mental image it created!.

              > > removed]

              > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

            • Susan Davis
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 5, 2003
                > I wouldn't want to live in a first floor room of a two story
                > building in Australia....

                ...and I'm certainly never going to consider buying an Australian
                pulling boat!

                :-)

                --
                Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
              • keywestdale@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5, 2003
                  AWWW>>>>>>come on susan......be a good sport..................while i am
                  here, has anyone had any trouble with common sense boats..I am not trying to slam
                  them, but i have been waiting on plans for going on a month now for a long
                  micro.....and they are not here yet......this coming monday makes a month, that
                  my credit card has been charged......????..........last heard from them 2 weeks
                  ago........any body know any thing i dont here........take
                  care.........anxiously waiting to start a long micro one of these days............duane

                • Lincoln Ross
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 5, 2003
                    I wouldn't want to live in a first floor room of a two story building in
                    Australia, particularly if it was a dorm in a boy's school. But then if
                    I was working third shift I wouldn't need an alarm clock. Thump scrape
                    thump scrape thump! And it would be worth your life to need the wc in
                    the middle of the night in a room with bunks. You'd need one guy to stay
                    up and pound on a drum.

                    >Hugo Tyson wrote:
                    >
                    >That made me laugh reading that :"after a 2 hour pull."
                    >In Australia having a "pull" generally speaking means
                    >
                    > snip,
                    >
                    >something usually done alone,indoors and certainly not in public view,

                    snip