What exactly is Twisted Seagull

  • Hugo Tyson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
      What exactly is Twisted Seagull.Which design? I don't seem to remember reading what design it is.

    • Susan Davis
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Hugo Tyson <hhetyson@y...> wrote:
        > What exactly is Twisted Seagull.Which design? I don't seem to
        > remember reading what design it is.

        I would guess that it's probably a Welsford Seagull, from Bruce's
        comments about the plans that he has available to show. Bruce?

        --
        Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
      • Bruce Hector
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
          Sue is of course correct, it's my rendition of John
          Welsford's "Seagull" from New Zealand, only mine came out with a 1/2"
          twist, hence the name. It's a dedicated 15' rowboat, with a sorta'
          dory bow rolling into a skiff stern. She'll take a smal o/b, but I've
          only rowed her. See the "Other Designers" page at my boat site at
          http://www.brucesboats.com for pics and story.

          Twisted Seagull has a twisted sence of humour. Today she dumped me
          again, only this time the water was 25 feet deep, so I went for an
          unscheduled swim.

          Of all places, it was at the Marine Museum dock, right next to the ex-
          Coast Guard icebreaker turned B&B, the Alexander Henry. This intrepid
          mariner had just rowed for 2 hours, the last bit into the teeth of a
          20 knot wind and 2 foot swell in front of the city, for the sheer joy
          of turning around and surfing back with the following sea, fun! But
          as I tried to moor in the chop, she skittered away from the pier, and
          I foolishly reached outboard for the ladder, and sploosh! Over I
          went, she tossed me out like a woman scorned, and snapped back
          upright as soon as I'd left. Albeit with a half ton of green water
          inside. Good thing I started carrying a full size bucket to bail
          with, or I'd been bailing all day.

          What makes it particularly funny is why I was going to the Marine
          Museum. In Kingston, that's where members can buy their Power and
          Sail Squadron flags, and I wanted one for TS. What a laugh, as this
          sodden bo'sun splushed into the lobby, only to be told by the girl on
          the desk she "Knew nothing about it, and could I call back on a
          weekday?". Today, 1 Aug. is a holiday in Canada.

          So a drenched boatbuilder finished his row, and spend the rest of the
          day adding fore and aft flotation tanks to Timmt The Tiniest Towboat.

          Why? that's another story....

          Bruce Hector
          Watching his wallet, money, ID, and shoes dry ever so slowly in the
          humid heat of a Kingston August afternoon and waithing for the epoxy
          to dry.
        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
            wrote:
            Today she dumped me
            > again, only this time the water was 25 feet deep, so I went for an
            > unscheduled swim.

            This intrepid
            > mariner had just rowed for 2 hours, the last bit into the teeth of
            > 20 knot wind and 2 foot swell in front of the city, for the sheer
            joy
            > of turning around and surfing back with the following sea, fun!

            Bruce,
            You've got me worried! Do these dumping sessions happen BEFORE
            or AFTER you have liberated a few cold brewskis from your favorite
            pub? I only ask 'cause some folk may get the idea that your TWISTED
            SEAGULL is "tippy" and I can say that based on my brief experience in
            her on the St.Lawrence Seaway along with the Vercheres gang,she feels
            really steady and slick considering her sleek appearance.....

            Sincerely,

            Peter Lenihan,back from one frustrating day of un-wrapping and
            wrapping the bottom of WINDERMERE way too many times as I dodged the
            series of torential downpours that just never really stopped coming
            and despite it all I did manage to actually get some epoxy work
            done!.....along the banks of the misty sub-tropical St.Lawrence
            Seaway.......
          • Bruce Hector
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <ellengaest@b...>
              wrote: some folk may get the idea that your TWISTED
              > SEAGULL is "tippy"

              Aye! Some may wonder. Some may speculate. But I'll tell ye' all, here
              and now. I was a sober as a Quebecois Judge. This second dumping
              happened in the am, after a 2 hour pull.

              Seagull is not tippy, and takes all sea states well. But like all
              sloped sided vessels (I Know there's a word for this, just can't
              recall it right now) her reserve stability is far less than her
              initial. I NEVER have any trouble when I'm seated on the thwart, or
              crawling forward for a line, etc, as long as I keep my weight inside
              the chine logs.

              But just place your 10 stone outboard of those chines and ....
              Wheeeee! Sploosssh! Shake your head as she bobs back on her feet
              after getting rid of her supercargo (YOU) and start bailing.

              Bruce Hector
              http://www.brucesboats.com
              Thinking I should see if I can re-board her swamped in deep water
              soon, you know, just for Elaine's peace of mind, and mine!