Re: [bolger] Re: Good motored designs for NW/Puget Sound waters?

  • Ken Locarnini
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
      But even if you do get that waterfront property, keep it in the public domain so we can all share. Land/water ownership is a habit all good nomads should give up.....
      nunativs

        Any land that is in the public domain is controled by
        some burecrates who do not like nomads at anchor.
        Lon
        --- Ken Locarnini <renueden@...> wrote:
        > But even if you do get that waterfront property,
        > keep it in the public domain so we can all share.
        > Land/water ownership is a habit all good nomads
        > should give up.....
        > nunativs

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Wayne Gilham
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
          I've always lusted after the "Idaho" design.

          In particular, from all I've gathered aout it over the years, it seems to
          plane even when standing still -- especially, it doesn't dig a hole when
          increasing speed. and with essentially only a bit of froth left behind
          from your passing, the thousands of shore dwellers and anchored boaters will
          be smiling as you pass by, even (heck, especially) at full-tilt -- a far cry
          better in respect-for-others than those huge holes-in-the-water chopped out
          (and rolling over the beaches) from all them inefficient Bayliners ETC ETC
          that roil up our otherwise mostly calm waters....

          What's unclear to me is the expected performance in a chop.... some have
          said she should be smoother than expected 'cause the length supported by
          water will bridge-over the waves... others think she'll just knife THRU chop
          instead of rising up over every wave, thus not pounding (but boy could those
          straight-sided bows throw wet spray!). HEY, any Sneakeasy owners: COMMENTS,
          please!! I'd use prudence not to go out in anything over two or
          three-foot chop, just wait for the waves to subside (which up here in Puget
          Sound they almost ALWAYS do a few hours later when the current-direction
          changes to with-the-wind instead of against-it....unless it's a big storm,
          for which there's usually good advance warning)

          I'd think seriously to scale her up altogether to about 36' (was thinking of
          commissioning PCB to bless this idea or re-design it altogether-- maybe this
          winter....) especially since as-designed (for Bernie Wolfard in his
          wheelchair) she doesn't have standing headroom in the cabin, only a little
          over 5' -- and I'd hate to destroy the good proportions by just raising the
          cabintop on the existing design -- wonder what the up-scaling would do to
          Phil's usually very economical use of 4x8 plywood sheets?

          Another change for the NW would be to make the fwd & aft cockpits
          self-draining (would need a false-floor above waterline -- but that'd be
          only a couple of inches of "wasted space" higher, no?) -- else you'd be
          sponging out that last bit of rainwater a bit too often (gotta keep up that
          myth that it rains here all the time so ya all won't move here next week...
          )

          Put a good rowing boat up on the cabintop (how about a Platt Monfort
          Geodesic Ultralite whitehall? pardon the blasphemy, but the light weight up
          so high would be best for balance AND for easy-launch), a bunch of those
          ubiquitious and cheap fold-up chinese canvas-chairs, a blow-up queen-sized
          mattress with built-in inflator (deflate in the morning for more cabin room)
          a prota-potti in the aft corner of the cabin, with pull-around
          shower-curtain for privacy, A Toyoset forced-air kerosene heater (outside
          vented) -- the most expensive "bit" at about $1200 (see http://www
          toyotomiusa.com/products/cabinboatheaters/NS-2700-2.html), but essential for
          NW cruising! --and HEY, you've got a practical weekender boat WITHOUT the
          tedious construction of all that interior furniture, out cruising WEEKS
          before any of the more intricate designs.

          Am I nuts?

          Wayne Gilham

        • jeffsprayer
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gilham"
            <wgilham@h...> wrote:
            > I've always lusted after the "Idaho" design.

            > HEY, you've got a practical weekender boat WITHOUT the
            > tedious construction of all that interior furniture, out cruising
            >WEEKS
            > before any of the more intricate designs.
            >
            > Am I nuts?
            >
            > Wayne Gilham

            That's what I like about this group. Those who post don't hold
            back and even acknowledge their condition, the first step in
            recovery Rx. Yes Wayne, you are nuts. The cure? Well, I think
            it's a good dose of the very thing that ails you, me and the rest of
            this board and beyound - just DO IT

            Deciding and commiting on what to do (build) has been the
            hardest thing for me, personally. I have soooo many factors to
            consider that it bogles my mind at times. Precious time is
            limited too... Thus, I want to decide once more as wisely as I can
            given the present sum total of my affairs.

            Idaho is way cool for what it is designed to do. It can be easily
            modified as well. I do have the plans and many modifications
            sketched out, but with my family size (6) and age range (7-15.5
            ((energy needs space)) I'm afraid she's more a fast transport
            than adventure rig. Maybe when we are few...

            I'D LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR AWSOME INPUT
            POSTED ON THIS BOARD AND DIRECTLY.

            Jeff
            nuts II
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
              When I imagine Puget Sound, I think of the libertarians, living below
              the radar screen in the innumerable coves and inlets; such as Eagle
              Harbor. If you are not in a hurry, and can wait for the tide and
              wind to be right, why not build an Illinois? She would be the
              perfect, drift from this cove to the next cove live-aboard. It would
              take more years than one life to explore all the coves in Puget Sound
              and the waters to the north.
            • rsmboatbuilder
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                I actually have the same goal and I have a small family that will
                continue to stay small. There are three of us - Two adults and one
                young child. I have spent countless hours pouring over Bolger
                designs and those of www.CMDboats.com, and The troller designs of
                George Behuler. And there are many arguments for each point of
                view. I have spoken with Karl and Phil about boats for this region
                and have rolled over sail vs. power for countless sleepless nights.
                So I don't know if I will enlighten or just make the world more
                cloudy.
                Key design considerations I have -
                1. An Ocean boat not a lake boat - This means some hull form for
                handling Deception pass and making your way to Pt Roberts
                2. Cozy interior not huge and spacious - Interior is for sleeping and
                eating there should be some commune with the outdoors - Life is not
                lived indoors (Unless your Canadian - Oh I will hear it on that one)
                3. Small diesel power nothing over displacement speed definitely not
                planing - I like efficiency and quiet operation over speed in arrival
                etc etc etc
                4. Pleasing to the eye inside and out - Nice sheer great character
                looks like its either brand new or 60 years old cant quite tell from
                looking
                5. A nice head - This is my wifes consideration and she would place
                this at number 1 but she isn't typing - Stand up and take a shower
                sit down and take a ... NO PORTA POTTY - DLD toilet etc

                That's it and this is what I have found
                Puffin 28 - This fits us about 90% http://www.cmdboats.com/puffin.htm
                Bayside 29 close too http://www.cmdboats.com/bayside29.htm
                Black Crown 27 violates a few rules like cost
                http://www.devlinboat.com/dcbc27.htmJennifer also violates some
                http://www.gartsideboats.com/jennifer.php
                OK and now for the Bolger candidates
                Bolgers Diesel cruiser cartoon study with fore and aft cabins
                A smaller power only Fuji style boat 32' in length and direct drive
                no powercat outdrive
                A stretched Alice stretched to 32-35'
                Fast Motorsailer also violates a few rules
                Plywood diesel cruiser Ch 56 BWOM

                Buehler has some great boats too such as Diesel Duck etc

                All in all I still like the Puffin since much of the cost of a power
                boat is the engine and running gear I like to keep things small and
                efficient.
                Regards and good luck!
                Ian
              • Bruce Hector
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gilham" <wgilham@h...> wrote:
                  I'd think seriously to scale her up altogether to about 36' (version
                  of Idaho)

                  Check out his Minnesota design, essentially a flat bottomed Dakota
                  with the head at the extreme stern in it's own "outhouse". I've long
                  loved Minnie.

                  Bruce Hector
                • Ken Locarnini
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 5, 2003
                    You might also consider the coastal cruiser by hankinson. The plans come with 23', 25', 27' lengths and they're trailerable with 8 1/2' beam. Nice pics and view of layout here:
                    http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=coastalcrsr.html&&cart_id=2295227_23173

                    Ken
[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Bolger rules!!!

                  • timothyennuinet
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 14, 2003
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ben_azo" <ben_azo@h...> wrote:
                      > So sory I cant follow the link via my server,and I am so curious
                      > Stephan

                      She included a comma at the end.. this one will work:

                      http://www.crumblingempire.com/insolent/

                      --T