Insolent 60 (was Re: Good motored designs for NW/Puget Sound waters?)

  • pep cruells
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ben_azo" <ben_azo@h...> wrote:
      > So sory I cant follow the link via my server,and I am so curious
      > Stephan
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis"
      > <futabachan@y...> wrote:
      > > accomodations for 6. The one extant drawing of her is
      > available
      > > at http://www.crumblingempire.com/insolent, but there have
      >
      > > -- Sue --
      > > (unofficial I60 class secretary and head cheerleader)
      > > --
      > > Susan Davis <futabachan@y...>

      Stephan, try to delete the comma that Susan inadvertantly typed
      after 'insolent', then the address will work. I mean, when
      the 'error' message shows up, go to the address with your cursor,
      click, it will turn blue, click again until the cursor shows up, go
      to the 'virgule' delete it, click enter and there you go.

      pep
    • Ken Locarnini
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
        But even if you do get that waterfront property, keep it in the public domain so we can all share. Land/water ownership is a habit all good nomads should give up.....
        nunativs

          Any land that is in the public domain is controled by
          some burecrates who do not like nomads at anchor.
          Lon
          --- Ken Locarnini <renueden@...> wrote:
          > But even if you do get that waterfront property,
          > keep it in the public domain so we can all share.
          > Land/water ownership is a habit all good nomads
          > should give up.....
          > nunativs

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Wayne Gilham
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
            I've always lusted after the "Idaho" design.

            In particular, from all I've gathered aout it over the years, it seems to
            plane even when standing still -- especially, it doesn't dig a hole when
            increasing speed. and with essentially only a bit of froth left behind
            from your passing, the thousands of shore dwellers and anchored boaters will
            be smiling as you pass by, even (heck, especially) at full-tilt -- a far cry
            better in respect-for-others than those huge holes-in-the-water chopped out
            (and rolling over the beaches) from all them inefficient Bayliners ETC ETC
            that roil up our otherwise mostly calm waters....

            What's unclear to me is the expected performance in a chop.... some have
            said she should be smoother than expected 'cause the length supported by
            water will bridge-over the waves... others think she'll just knife THRU chop
            instead of rising up over every wave, thus not pounding (but boy could those
            straight-sided bows throw wet spray!). HEY, any Sneakeasy owners: COMMENTS,
            please!! I'd use prudence not to go out in anything over two or
            three-foot chop, just wait for the waves to subside (which up here in Puget
            Sound they almost ALWAYS do a few hours later when the current-direction
            changes to with-the-wind instead of against-it....unless it's a big storm,
            for which there's usually good advance warning)

            I'd think seriously to scale her up altogether to about 36' (was thinking of
            commissioning PCB to bless this idea or re-design it altogether-- maybe this
            winter....) especially since as-designed (for Bernie Wolfard in his
            wheelchair) she doesn't have standing headroom in the cabin, only a little
            over 5' -- and I'd hate to destroy the good proportions by just raising the
            cabintop on the existing design -- wonder what the up-scaling would do to
            Phil's usually very economical use of 4x8 plywood sheets?

            Another change for the NW would be to make the fwd & aft cockpits
            self-draining (would need a false-floor above waterline -- but that'd be
            only a couple of inches of "wasted space" higher, no?) -- else you'd be
            sponging out that last bit of rainwater a bit too often (gotta keep up that
            myth that it rains here all the time so ya all won't move here next week...
            )

            Put a good rowing boat up on the cabintop (how about a Platt Monfort
            Geodesic Ultralite whitehall? pardon the blasphemy, but the light weight up
            so high would be best for balance AND for easy-launch), a bunch of those
            ubiquitious and cheap fold-up chinese canvas-chairs, a blow-up queen-sized
            mattress with built-in inflator (deflate in the morning for more cabin room)
            a prota-potti in the aft corner of the cabin, with pull-around
            shower-curtain for privacy, A Toyoset forced-air kerosene heater (outside
            vented) -- the most expensive "bit" at about $1200 (see http://www
            toyotomiusa.com/products/cabinboatheaters/NS-2700-2.html), but essential for
            NW cruising! --and HEY, you've got a practical weekender boat WITHOUT the
            tedious construction of all that interior furniture, out cruising WEEKS
            before any of the more intricate designs.

            Am I nuts?

            Wayne Gilham

          • jeffsprayer
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gilham"
              <wgilham@h...> wrote:
              > I've always lusted after the "Idaho" design.

              > HEY, you've got a practical weekender boat WITHOUT the
              > tedious construction of all that interior furniture, out cruising
              >WEEKS
              > before any of the more intricate designs.
              >
              > Am I nuts?
              >
              > Wayne Gilham

              That's what I like about this group. Those who post don't hold
              back and even acknowledge their condition, the first step in
              recovery Rx. Yes Wayne, you are nuts. The cure? Well, I think
              it's a good dose of the very thing that ails you, me and the rest of
              this board and beyound - just DO IT

              Deciding and commiting on what to do (build) has been the
              hardest thing for me, personally. I have soooo many factors to
              consider that it bogles my mind at times. Precious time is
              limited too... Thus, I want to decide once more as wisely as I can
              given the present sum total of my affairs.

              Idaho is way cool for what it is designed to do. It can be easily
              modified as well. I do have the plans and many modifications
              sketched out, but with my family size (6) and age range (7-15.5
              ((energy needs space)) I'm afraid she's more a fast transport
              than adventure rig. Maybe when we are few...

              I'D LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR AWSOME INPUT
              POSTED ON THIS BOARD AND DIRECTLY.

              Jeff
              nuts II
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                When I imagine Puget Sound, I think of the libertarians, living below
                the radar screen in the innumerable coves and inlets; such as Eagle
                Harbor. If you are not in a hurry, and can wait for the tide and
                wind to be right, why not build an Illinois? She would be the
                perfect, drift from this cove to the next cove live-aboard. It would
                take more years than one life to explore all the coves in Puget Sound
                and the waters to the north.
              • rsmboatbuilder
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                  I actually have the same goal and I have a small family that will
                  continue to stay small. There are three of us - Two adults and one
                  young child. I have spent countless hours pouring over Bolger
                  designs and those of www.CMDboats.com, and The troller designs of
                  George Behuler. And there are many arguments for each point of
                  view. I have spoken with Karl and Phil about boats for this region
                  and have rolled over sail vs. power for countless sleepless nights.
                  So I don't know if I will enlighten or just make the world more
                  cloudy.
                  Key design considerations I have -
                  1. An Ocean boat not a lake boat - This means some hull form for
                  handling Deception pass and making your way to Pt Roberts
                  2. Cozy interior not huge and spacious - Interior is for sleeping and
                  eating there should be some commune with the outdoors - Life is not
                  lived indoors (Unless your Canadian - Oh I will hear it on that one)
                  3. Small diesel power nothing over displacement speed definitely not
                  planing - I like efficiency and quiet operation over speed in arrival
                  etc etc etc
                  4. Pleasing to the eye inside and out - Nice sheer great character
                  looks like its either brand new or 60 years old cant quite tell from
                  looking
                  5. A nice head - This is my wifes consideration and she would place
                  this at number 1 but she isn't typing - Stand up and take a shower
                  sit down and take a ... NO PORTA POTTY - DLD toilet etc

                  That's it and this is what I have found
                  Puffin 28 - This fits us about 90% http://www.cmdboats.com/puffin.htm
                  Bayside 29 close too http://www.cmdboats.com/bayside29.htm
                  Black Crown 27 violates a few rules like cost
                  http://www.devlinboat.com/dcbc27.htmJennifer also violates some
                  http://www.gartsideboats.com/jennifer.php
                  OK and now for the Bolger candidates
                  Bolgers Diesel cruiser cartoon study with fore and aft cabins
                  A smaller power only Fuji style boat 32' in length and direct drive
                  no powercat outdrive
                  A stretched Alice stretched to 32-35'
                  Fast Motorsailer also violates a few rules
                  Plywood diesel cruiser Ch 56 BWOM

                  Buehler has some great boats too such as Diesel Duck etc

                  All in all I still like the Puffin since much of the cost of a power
                  boat is the engine and running gear I like to keep things small and
                  efficient.
                  Regards and good luck!
                  Ian
                • Bruce Hector
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gilham" <wgilham@h...> wrote:
                    I'd think seriously to scale her up altogether to about 36' (version
                    of Idaho)

                    Check out his Minnesota design, essentially a flat bottomed Dakota
                    with the head at the extreme stern in it's own "outhouse". I've long
                    loved Minnie.

                    Bruce Hector
                  • Ken Locarnini
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 5, 2003
                      You might also consider the coastal cruiser by hankinson. The plans come with 23', 25', 27' lengths and they're trailerable with 8 1/2' beam. Nice pics and view of layout here:
                      http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=coastalcrsr.html&&cart_id=2295227_23173

                      Ken
[...]

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Bolger rules!!!

                    • timothyennuinet
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 14, 2003
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ben_azo" <ben_azo@h...> wrote:
                        > So sory I cant follow the link via my server,and I am so curious
                        > Stephan

                        She included a comma at the end.. this one will work:

                        http://www.crumblingempire.com/insolent/

                        --T