Re: Good motored designs for NW/Puget Sound waters?

  • jeffsprayer
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Smith"
      <jeffsprayer@y...> wrote:
      > > Hi all,
      > > Now I am hoping to relocate to the Puget Sound area and am
      > > researching Bolger designs compatible for those waters.
      >
      > Does it need to be trailerable?
      >
      > Jonathan

      Yes it does, unless I end up with waterfront property and my own
      dock.
    • pep cruells
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ben_azo" <ben_azo@h...> wrote:
        > So sory I cant follow the link via my server,and I am so curious
        > Stephan
        >
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis"
        > <futabachan@y...> wrote:
        > > accomodations for 6. The one extant drawing of her is
        > available
        > > at http://www.crumblingempire.com/insolent, but there have
        >
        > > -- Sue --
        > > (unofficial I60 class secretary and head cheerleader)
        > > --
        > > Susan Davis <futabachan@y...>

        Stephan, try to delete the comma that Susan inadvertantly typed
        after 'insolent', then the address will work. I mean, when
        the 'error' message shows up, go to the address with your cursor,
        click, it will turn blue, click again until the cursor shows up, go
        to the 'virgule' delete it, click enter and there you go.

        pep
      • Ken Locarnini
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
          But even if you do get that waterfront property, keep it in the public domain so we can all share. Land/water ownership is a habit all good nomads should give up.....
          nunativs

            Any land that is in the public domain is controled by
            some burecrates who do not like nomads at anchor.
            Lon
            --- Ken Locarnini <renueden@...> wrote:
            > But even if you do get that waterfront property,
            > keep it in the public domain so we can all share.
            > Land/water ownership is a habit all good nomads
            > should give up.....
            > nunativs

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Wayne Gilham
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
              I've always lusted after the "Idaho" design.

              In particular, from all I've gathered aout it over the years, it seems to
              plane even when standing still -- especially, it doesn't dig a hole when
              increasing speed. and with essentially only a bit of froth left behind
              from your passing, the thousands of shore dwellers and anchored boaters will
              be smiling as you pass by, even (heck, especially) at full-tilt -- a far cry
              better in respect-for-others than those huge holes-in-the-water chopped out
              (and rolling over the beaches) from all them inefficient Bayliners ETC ETC
              that roil up our otherwise mostly calm waters....

              What's unclear to me is the expected performance in a chop.... some have
              said she should be smoother than expected 'cause the length supported by
              water will bridge-over the waves... others think she'll just knife THRU chop
              instead of rising up over every wave, thus not pounding (but boy could those
              straight-sided bows throw wet spray!). HEY, any Sneakeasy owners: COMMENTS,
              please!! I'd use prudence not to go out in anything over two or
              three-foot chop, just wait for the waves to subside (which up here in Puget
              Sound they almost ALWAYS do a few hours later when the current-direction
              changes to with-the-wind instead of against-it....unless it's a big storm,
              for which there's usually good advance warning)

              I'd think seriously to scale her up altogether to about 36' (was thinking of
              commissioning PCB to bless this idea or re-design it altogether-- maybe this
              winter....) especially since as-designed (for Bernie Wolfard in his
              wheelchair) she doesn't have standing headroom in the cabin, only a little
              over 5' -- and I'd hate to destroy the good proportions by just raising the
              cabintop on the existing design -- wonder what the up-scaling would do to
              Phil's usually very economical use of 4x8 plywood sheets?

              Another change for the NW would be to make the fwd & aft cockpits
              self-draining (would need a false-floor above waterline -- but that'd be
              only a couple of inches of "wasted space" higher, no?) -- else you'd be
              sponging out that last bit of rainwater a bit too often (gotta keep up that
              myth that it rains here all the time so ya all won't move here next week...
              )

              Put a good rowing boat up on the cabintop (how about a Platt Monfort
              Geodesic Ultralite whitehall? pardon the blasphemy, but the light weight up
              so high would be best for balance AND for easy-launch), a bunch of those
              ubiquitious and cheap fold-up chinese canvas-chairs, a blow-up queen-sized
              mattress with built-in inflator (deflate in the morning for more cabin room)
              a prota-potti in the aft corner of the cabin, with pull-around
              shower-curtain for privacy, A Toyoset forced-air kerosene heater (outside
              vented) -- the most expensive "bit" at about $1200 (see http://www
              toyotomiusa.com/products/cabinboatheaters/NS-2700-2.html), but essential for
              NW cruising! --and HEY, you've got a practical weekender boat WITHOUT the
              tedious construction of all that interior furniture, out cruising WEEKS
              before any of the more intricate designs.

              Am I nuts?

              Wayne Gilham

            • jeffsprayer
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gilham"
                <wgilham@h...> wrote:
                > I've always lusted after the "Idaho" design.

                > HEY, you've got a practical weekender boat WITHOUT the
                > tedious construction of all that interior furniture, out cruising
                >WEEKS
                > before any of the more intricate designs.
                >
                > Am I nuts?
                >
                > Wayne Gilham

                That's what I like about this group. Those who post don't hold
                back and even acknowledge their condition, the first step in
                recovery Rx. Yes Wayne, you are nuts. The cure? Well, I think
                it's a good dose of the very thing that ails you, me and the rest of
                this board and beyound - just DO IT

                Deciding and commiting on what to do (build) has been the
                hardest thing for me, personally. I have soooo many factors to
                consider that it bogles my mind at times. Precious time is
                limited too... Thus, I want to decide once more as wisely as I can
                given the present sum total of my affairs.

                Idaho is way cool for what it is designed to do. It can be easily
                modified as well. I do have the plans and many modifications
                sketched out, but with my family size (6) and age range (7-15.5
                ((energy needs space)) I'm afraid she's more a fast transport
                than adventure rig. Maybe when we are few...

                I'D LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR AWSOME INPUT
                POSTED ON THIS BOARD AND DIRECTLY.

                Jeff
                nuts II
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                  When I imagine Puget Sound, I think of the libertarians, living below
                  the radar screen in the innumerable coves and inlets; such as Eagle
                  Harbor. If you are not in a hurry, and can wait for the tide and
                  wind to be right, why not build an Illinois? She would be the
                  perfect, drift from this cove to the next cove live-aboard. It would
                  take more years than one life to explore all the coves in Puget Sound
                  and the waters to the north.
                • rsmboatbuilder
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                    I actually have the same goal and I have a small family that will
                    continue to stay small. There are three of us - Two adults and one
                    young child. I have spent countless hours pouring over Bolger
                    designs and those of www.CMDboats.com, and The troller designs of
                    George Behuler. And there are many arguments for each point of
                    view. I have spoken with Karl and Phil about boats for this region
                    and have rolled over sail vs. power for countless sleepless nights.
                    So I don't know if I will enlighten or just make the world more
                    cloudy.
                    Key design considerations I have -
                    1. An Ocean boat not a lake boat - This means some hull form for
                    handling Deception pass and making your way to Pt Roberts
                    2. Cozy interior not huge and spacious - Interior is for sleeping and
                    eating there should be some commune with the outdoors - Life is not
                    lived indoors (Unless your Canadian - Oh I will hear it on that one)
                    3. Small diesel power nothing over displacement speed definitely not
                    planing - I like efficiency and quiet operation over speed in arrival
                    etc etc etc
                    4. Pleasing to the eye inside and out - Nice sheer great character
                    looks like its either brand new or 60 years old cant quite tell from
                    looking
                    5. A nice head - This is my wifes consideration and she would place
                    this at number 1 but she isn't typing - Stand up and take a shower
                    sit down and take a ... NO PORTA POTTY - DLD toilet etc

                    That's it and this is what I have found
                    Puffin 28 - This fits us about 90% http://www.cmdboats.com/puffin.htm
                    Bayside 29 close too http://www.cmdboats.com/bayside29.htm
                    Black Crown 27 violates a few rules like cost
                    http://www.devlinboat.com/dcbc27.htmJennifer also violates some
                    http://www.gartsideboats.com/jennifer.php
                    OK and now for the Bolger candidates
                    Bolgers Diesel cruiser cartoon study with fore and aft cabins
                    A smaller power only Fuji style boat 32' in length and direct drive
                    no powercat outdrive
                    A stretched Alice stretched to 32-35'
                    Fast Motorsailer also violates a few rules
                    Plywood diesel cruiser Ch 56 BWOM

                    Buehler has some great boats too such as Diesel Duck etc

                    All in all I still like the Puffin since much of the cost of a power
                    boat is the engine and running gear I like to keep things small and
                    efficient.
                    Regards and good luck!
                    Ian
                  • Bruce Hector
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gilham" <wgilham@h...> wrote:
                      I'd think seriously to scale her up altogether to about 36' (version
                      of Idaho)

                      Check out his Minnesota design, essentially a flat bottomed Dakota
                      with the head at the extreme stern in it's own "outhouse". I've long
                      loved Minnie.

                      Bruce Hector
                    • Ken Locarnini
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 5, 2003
                        You might also consider the coastal cruiser by hankinson. The plans come with 23', 25', 27' lengths and they're trailerable with 8 1/2' beam. Nice pics and view of layout here:
                        http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=coastalcrsr.html&&cart_id=2295227_23173

                        Ken
[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        Bolger rules!!!

                      • timothyennuinet
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 14, 2003
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ben_azo" <ben_azo@h...> wrote:
                          > So sory I cant follow the link via my server,and I am so curious
                          > Stephan

                          She included a comma at the end.. this one will work:

                          http://www.crumblingempire.com/insolent/

                          --T