Re: Good motored designs for NW/Puget Sound waters?

  • Jonathan Smith
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jeffsprayer" <jeffsprayer@y...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > Now I am hoping to relocate to the Puget Sound area and am
      > researching Bolger designs compatible for those waters.

      Does it need to be trailerable?

      Jonathan
    • jeffsprayer
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Smith"
        <jeffsprayer@y...> wrote:
        > > Hi all,
        > > Now I am hoping to relocate to the Puget Sound area and am
        > > researching Bolger designs compatible for those waters.
        >
        > Does it need to be trailerable?
        >
        > Jonathan

        Yes it does, unless I end up with waterfront property and my own
        dock.
      • pep cruells
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ben_azo" <ben_azo@h...> wrote:
          > So sory I cant follow the link via my server,and I am so curious
          > Stephan
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis"
          > <futabachan@y...> wrote:
          > > accomodations for 6. The one extant drawing of her is
          > available
          > > at http://www.crumblingempire.com/insolent, but there have
          >
          > > -- Sue --
          > > (unofficial I60 class secretary and head cheerleader)
          > > --
          > > Susan Davis <futabachan@y...>

          Stephan, try to delete the comma that Susan inadvertantly typed
          after 'insolent', then the address will work. I mean, when
          the 'error' message shows up, go to the address with your cursor,
          click, it will turn blue, click again until the cursor shows up, go
          to the 'virgule' delete it, click enter and there you go.

          pep
        • Ken Locarnini
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
            But even if you do get that waterfront property, keep it in the public domain so we can all share. Land/water ownership is a habit all good nomads should give up.....
            nunativs

              Any land that is in the public domain is controled by
              some burecrates who do not like nomads at anchor.
              Lon
              --- Ken Locarnini <renueden@...> wrote:
              > But even if you do get that waterfront property,
              > keep it in the public domain so we can all share.
              > Land/water ownership is a habit all good nomads
              > should give up.....
              > nunativs

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • Wayne Gilham
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                I've always lusted after the "Idaho" design.

                In particular, from all I've gathered aout it over the years, it seems to
                plane even when standing still -- especially, it doesn't dig a hole when
                increasing speed. and with essentially only a bit of froth left behind
                from your passing, the thousands of shore dwellers and anchored boaters will
                be smiling as you pass by, even (heck, especially) at full-tilt -- a far cry
                better in respect-for-others than those huge holes-in-the-water chopped out
                (and rolling over the beaches) from all them inefficient Bayliners ETC ETC
                that roil up our otherwise mostly calm waters....

                What's unclear to me is the expected performance in a chop.... some have
                said she should be smoother than expected 'cause the length supported by
                water will bridge-over the waves... others think she'll just knife THRU chop
                instead of rising up over every wave, thus not pounding (but boy could those
                straight-sided bows throw wet spray!). HEY, any Sneakeasy owners: COMMENTS,
                please!! I'd use prudence not to go out in anything over two or
                three-foot chop, just wait for the waves to subside (which up here in Puget
                Sound they almost ALWAYS do a few hours later when the current-direction
                changes to with-the-wind instead of against-it....unless it's a big storm,
                for which there's usually good advance warning)

                I'd think seriously to scale her up altogether to about 36' (was thinking of
                commissioning PCB to bless this idea or re-design it altogether-- maybe this
                winter....) especially since as-designed (for Bernie Wolfard in his
                wheelchair) she doesn't have standing headroom in the cabin, only a little
                over 5' -- and I'd hate to destroy the good proportions by just raising the
                cabintop on the existing design -- wonder what the up-scaling would do to
                Phil's usually very economical use of 4x8 plywood sheets?

                Another change for the NW would be to make the fwd & aft cockpits
                self-draining (would need a false-floor above waterline -- but that'd be
                only a couple of inches of "wasted space" higher, no?) -- else you'd be
                sponging out that last bit of rainwater a bit too often (gotta keep up that
                myth that it rains here all the time so ya all won't move here next week...
                )

                Put a good rowing boat up on the cabintop (how about a Platt Monfort
                Geodesic Ultralite whitehall? pardon the blasphemy, but the light weight up
                so high would be best for balance AND for easy-launch), a bunch of those
                ubiquitious and cheap fold-up chinese canvas-chairs, a blow-up queen-sized
                mattress with built-in inflator (deflate in the morning for more cabin room)
                a prota-potti in the aft corner of the cabin, with pull-around
                shower-curtain for privacy, A Toyoset forced-air kerosene heater (outside
                vented) -- the most expensive "bit" at about $1200 (see http://www
                toyotomiusa.com/products/cabinboatheaters/NS-2700-2.html), but essential for
                NW cruising! --and HEY, you've got a practical weekender boat WITHOUT the
                tedious construction of all that interior furniture, out cruising WEEKS
                before any of the more intricate designs.

                Am I nuts?

                Wayne Gilham

              • jeffsprayer
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gilham"
                  <wgilham@h...> wrote:
                  > I've always lusted after the "Idaho" design.

                  > HEY, you've got a practical weekender boat WITHOUT the
                  > tedious construction of all that interior furniture, out cruising
                  >WEEKS
                  > before any of the more intricate designs.
                  >
                  > Am I nuts?
                  >
                  > Wayne Gilham

                  That's what I like about this group. Those who post don't hold
                  back and even acknowledge their condition, the first step in
                  recovery Rx. Yes Wayne, you are nuts. The cure? Well, I think
                  it's a good dose of the very thing that ails you, me and the rest of
                  this board and beyound - just DO IT

                  Deciding and commiting on what to do (build) has been the
                  hardest thing for me, personally. I have soooo many factors to
                  consider that it bogles my mind at times. Precious time is
                  limited too... Thus, I want to decide once more as wisely as I can
                  given the present sum total of my affairs.

                  Idaho is way cool for what it is designed to do. It can be easily
                  modified as well. I do have the plans and many modifications
                  sketched out, but with my family size (6) and age range (7-15.5
                  ((energy needs space)) I'm afraid she's more a fast transport
                  than adventure rig. Maybe when we are few...

                  I'D LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR AWSOME INPUT
                  POSTED ON THIS BOARD AND DIRECTLY.

                  Jeff
                  nuts II
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                    When I imagine Puget Sound, I think of the libertarians, living below
                    the radar screen in the innumerable coves and inlets; such as Eagle
                    Harbor. If you are not in a hurry, and can wait for the tide and
                    wind to be right, why not build an Illinois? She would be the
                    perfect, drift from this cove to the next cove live-aboard. It would
                    take more years than one life to explore all the coves in Puget Sound
                    and the waters to the north.
                  • rsmboatbuilder
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                      I actually have the same goal and I have a small family that will
                      continue to stay small. There are three of us - Two adults and one
                      young child. I have spent countless hours pouring over Bolger
                      designs and those of www.CMDboats.com, and The troller designs of
                      George Behuler. And there are many arguments for each point of
                      view. I have spoken with Karl and Phil about boats for this region
                      and have rolled over sail vs. power for countless sleepless nights.
                      So I don't know if I will enlighten or just make the world more
                      cloudy.
                      Key design considerations I have -
                      1. An Ocean boat not a lake boat - This means some hull form for
                      handling Deception pass and making your way to Pt Roberts
                      2. Cozy interior not huge and spacious - Interior is for sleeping and
                      eating there should be some commune with the outdoors - Life is not
                      lived indoors (Unless your Canadian - Oh I will hear it on that one)
                      3. Small diesel power nothing over displacement speed definitely not
                      planing - I like efficiency and quiet operation over speed in arrival
                      etc etc etc
                      4. Pleasing to the eye inside and out - Nice sheer great character
                      looks like its either brand new or 60 years old cant quite tell from
                      looking
                      5. A nice head - This is my wifes consideration and she would place
                      this at number 1 but she isn't typing - Stand up and take a shower
                      sit down and take a ... NO PORTA POTTY - DLD toilet etc

                      That's it and this is what I have found
                      Puffin 28 - This fits us about 90% http://www.cmdboats.com/puffin.htm
                      Bayside 29 close too http://www.cmdboats.com/bayside29.htm
                      Black Crown 27 violates a few rules like cost
                      http://www.devlinboat.com/dcbc27.htmJennifer also violates some
                      http://www.gartsideboats.com/jennifer.php
                      OK and now for the Bolger candidates
                      Bolgers Diesel cruiser cartoon study with fore and aft cabins
                      A smaller power only Fuji style boat 32' in length and direct drive
                      no powercat outdrive
                      A stretched Alice stretched to 32-35'
                      Fast Motorsailer also violates a few rules
                      Plywood diesel cruiser Ch 56 BWOM

                      Buehler has some great boats too such as Diesel Duck etc

                      All in all I still like the Puffin since much of the cost of a power
                      boat is the engine and running gear I like to keep things small and
                      efficient.
                      Regards and good luck!
                      Ian
                    • Bruce Hector
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gilham" <wgilham@h...> wrote:
                        I'd think seriously to scale her up altogether to about 36' (version
                        of Idaho)

                        Check out his Minnesota design, essentially a flat bottomed Dakota
                        with the head at the extreme stern in it's own "outhouse". I've long
                        loved Minnie.

                        Bruce Hector
                      • Ken Locarnini
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 5, 2003
                          You might also consider the coastal cruiser by hankinson. The plans come with 23', 25', 27' lengths and they're trailerable with 8 1/2' beam. Nice pics and view of layout here:
                          http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=coastalcrsr.html&&cart_id=2295227_23173

                          Ken
[...]

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Bolger rules!!!

                        • timothyennuinet
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 14, 2003
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ben_azo" <ben_azo@h...> wrote:
                            > So sory I cant follow the link via my server,and I am so curious
                            > Stephan

                            She included a comma at the end.. this one will work:

                            http://www.crumblingempire.com/insolent/

                            --T