Re:Bruce's Teal Mast

  • stuart mcdonough
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
      Bruce et al:

      That is a pretty stick indeed!
      When I built mine (1984) I ripped a clear 2x4 and
      reassembled it to make the 1 3/4" square dimension. It
      has a 3/4" core which is the dimension at the top. It
      took some head scratching. I envy you your simple
      approach.
      I remember advice to roll up the sail and row or sail
      with a bare pole when overpowered. I have seen those
      conditions. I think about rolling the sail a turn or
      two around the mast to reef, and rigging a snotter
      somehow...
      Regards, Stuart

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
        --- stuart mcdonough <stoo_mcdoo@y...> wrote:

        I, too, am happy with the looks of the tree trunk mast.

        > [reefing] I think about rolling the sail a turn or
        > two around the mast to reef, and rigging a snotter
        > somehow...

        This occured to me to, but I didn't think
        enough to realize the complication with the
        sprit and snotter.

        I also vaguely remember seeing a sail like this
        get folded down from the peak, and well
        umm, I guess you would need a second sprit.

        It is a simple boat, so maybe just dousing the sail
        by rolling the sail on the clew, and rowing when the
        wind gets too strong is the simple answer.

        Yesterday, I put the styrofoam floation
        chambers at the stem and stern. The
        FedEx delivery didn't come with the white
        polytarp, so I relocated the mast step so that
        I can go sailing today [wind permitting] with
        my Tortoise Lanteen rig.

        Pictures to follow.