Insolent 60 (was Re: Good motored designs for NW/Puget Sound waters?)

  • Susan Davis
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 1, 2003
      I actually threw out the I60 as a joke -- since I'm commissioning
      her from PCB, I've got the "shiny new hammer" syndrome. But from
      what you write, there may actually be a match here....

      > From my quick search of what the Insolent 60 is I don't think it
      > will work, if it is not a cruising sail boat . Am I wrong? Got
      > any pics/drawings links?.

      Actually, she is a cruising boat now -- when David and I
      commissioned her, we had PCB redo her as a family cruiser with
      accomodations for 6. The one extant drawing of her is available
      at http://www.crumblingempire.com/insolent, but there have been
      some fairly substantial changes, according to PCB, since then.
      (The rudder is no longer stern-hung, and she's a foot wider,
      among other things.)

      > I want some 6 people of various age and size to be warm if it's
      > cold and dry if it rains with a great view of the scenery while
      > under way (come rain or shine). Naturally a head is in order and
      > some sort of galley. Sleeping arrangements? I'd be really
      > blessed to think I could sleep six in any boat I could afford. Thus,
      > what-ever I can get!
      >
      > Trailerable.

      The I60 features an owner's double berth, two single berths in
      "tunnels" astride the foremast, and a salon that could sleep two
      more, all in a "birdwatcher" cabin with standing headroom through
      the open centerline hatches. There's a head, of course (peeing
      over the side isn't an option for me), and a galley, and enormous
      open cockpits forward and aft for lounging in fair weather.

      > Also, I'd like more comfort and protection while under way for me,
      > my crew and passengers than the sail boats I've seen can give,
      > save for maybe the PCB Fast Motorsailer.

      The main cabin of the I60 is a "birdwatcher" cabin -- everyone
      stays warm and dry if the weather is foul (or under shade with
      good ventilation if it's beastly hot; have you seen the WDJ
      video from Lake Mead?), but has a really spectacular view through
      the huge glass windows.

      > I'd prefer using the wind and stars
      > but I want to get on the water ASAP here and then there with my
      > family and friends.

      That would be the obvious problem with the I60: PCB hasn't finished
      designing her yet. You'll also get on the water faster with a
      dedicated powerboat than you will with any sailboat, especially
      one with a split rig, standing rigging, and a retractable winged
      keel. If you've never sailed before, you'll also probably want
      to build or buy a smaller sailboat first for learning before
      attempting to handle a 60 foot schooner.

      If you're up for a big project, though, there's a lot of upside
      to the I60: daysailing with a dozen or more guests, "all weather"
      cruising with 4-6, 10+ knot performance in "Wyoming mode" when the
      wind dies or on canals, trailering to distant cruising grounds or
      to race other I60s or schooners, all on a visually stunning boat
      that's easy to build for her size. And you know at least two other
      owners by virtue of being on this list. (A smaller project with
      similar virtues would be the William D. Jochems.)

      -- Sue --
      (unofficial I60 class secretary and head cheerleader)
      --
      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
    • ben_azo
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 1, 2003
        So sory I cant follow the link via my server,and I am so curious
        Stephan

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis"

      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 1, 2003
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jeffsprayer" <jeffsprayer@y...>
          wrote:

          > Speed is less important to me than the ability to safely handle
          > rougher than normal seas while keeping the occupants
          > relatively/reasonably comfortable. Also, fuel economy and
          > distance between fill-ups is more important than speed. I 'd like
          > to think of her as kind of a 'worlds strongest woman' vessel; not
          > the fastest but very fit. Alright, sexy too, as much as a Bolger
          > design can be. ; )
          >
          > I want some 6 people of various age and size to be warm if it's
          > cold and dry if it rains with a great view of the scenery while
          > under way (come rain or shine). Naturally a head is in order and
          > some sort of galley. Sleeping arrangements? I'd be really
          > blessed to think I could sleep six in any boat I could afford.
          Thus,
          > what-ever I can get!
          >
          > Trailerable.
          >
          > Thanks again,
          > Jeff

          Sounds like a job for WINDERMERE! 6 knot cruising speed, 200 gallon
          gas,insulated and heated cabin,great outdoor views,all sorts of
          options for controlling your sheltered living environment,enclosed
          head/shower space,dinette can convert to a double,outboard powered
          for relatively"easy" maintenance issues,fully galley with
          stove/oven,sink,cupboards etc,lots of space on roof top for a couple
          of dinghys for the occasional shore excursion for your family
          members,full standing headroom throughout,extra folding cots could
          be set up in forward salon for the other kids,private aft stateroom
          for two,large battery banks for real long range autonomy........what
          else can I add other then to say she is also home build-able :-)
          You can see some details of her over in the files section of Bolger2.

          Sincerely,

          Peter Lenihan,WINDERMERE fan................
        • ken kongslie
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 1, 2003
            sounds like Sitka Explorer could be included in the list
            ken

            > From: "Peter Lenihan" <ellengaest@...>
            > Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 04:38:43 -0000
            > To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [bolger] Re: Good motored designs for NW/Puget Sound waters?
            >
            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jeffsprayer" <jeffsprayer@y...>
            > wrote:
            >>>
            >> Speed is less important to me than the ability to safely handle
            >> rougher than normal seas while keeping the occupants
            >> relatively/reasonably comfortable. Also, fuel economy and
            >> distance between fill-ups is more important than speed. I 'd like
            >> to think of her as kind of a 'worlds strongest woman' vessel; not
            >> the fastest but very fit. Alright, sexy too, as much as a Bolger
            >> design can be. ; )
            >>
            >> I want some 6 people of various age and size to be warm if it's
            >> cold and dry if it rains with a great view of the scenery while
            >> under way (come rain or shine). Naturally a head is in order and
            >> some sort of galley. Sleeping arrangements? I'd be really
            >> blessed to think I could sleep six in any boat I could afford.
            > Thus,
            >> what-ever I can get!
            >>
            >> Trailerable.
            >>
            >> Thanks again,
            >> Jeff
            >

            > Sounds like a job for WINDERMERE! 6 knot cruising speed, 200 gallon
            > gas,insulated and heated cabin,great outdoor views,all sorts of
            > options for controlling your sheltered living environment,enclosed
            > head/shower space,dinette can convert to a double,outboard powered
            > for relatively"easy" maintenance issues,fully galley with
            > stove/oven,sink,cupboards etc,lots of space on roof top for a couple
            > of dinghys for the occasional shore excursion for your family
            > members,full standing headroom throughout,extra folding cots could
            > be set up in forward salon for the other kids,private aft stateroom
            > for two,large battery banks for real long range autonomy........what
            > else can I add other then to say she is also home build-able :-)
            > You can see some details of her over in the files section of Bolger2.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            >
            > Peter Lenihan,WINDERMERE fan................

            > - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930,
            > Fax: (978) 282-1349

          • pvanderwaart
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
              It's understood that in answering a question like this, we all add in
              our own notions and preferences. In my case, I think that it takes
              much greater than average self-confidence to tolerate a boat with a
              top speed that is 1/3 of that of the boats belonging to all your
              friends. The group intinerary will be set for the majority, and your
              participation in the fleet manouvers will be limited. (This was my
              father's experience with an underpowered Hunter 30 that motored about
              4.5 kts in fleet of better sailboats that motored at 6 kts. The speed
              difference would be greater for powerboats.) Hence, I think you need
              at least semi-displacement speed - 10 or 12 kts minimum. Besides, the
              distances in Puget Sound can be rather long.

              Second, that cruising area leads the nation in providing weather
              protection for the crew. I would be looking for a way to get folks
              undercover when it rains.

              If money was not an object and a custom design could be had, I would
              think in terms of the Mikim model, with perhaps power for a higher
              speed potential. The equivalent in a plywood boat would be the
              Plywood Diesel Cruiser. Arch Davis's v-bottom Jiffy-22 is similar.
              None of these has the accomodations set up for what you need, though.

              One boat you might look at is the Fast Motorsailer as shown in BWAOM.
              When the weather is nice and folks are happy to be either in or out,
              you could take a crowd. I'm not quite sure how many can squeeze in
              the cabin during a squall, but it's pretty roomy. You can build her
              without the rig, as was done in one notable case for which there was
              an article in MAIB (and perhaps on the web somehere). As I recall, he
              got 17 kts from a 4-stroke 50 and was dissatisfied, so went to a
              100hp and cruises in the mid-twenties. It's a homebuildable, plywood
              boat, and could be trailered.

              Interestinly enough, Bolger showed an Economy Motorsailer in his book
              The Folding Schooner. I never heard of this boat being built, but I
              always thought it was pretty cool as a powerboat. The rig cluttered
              it up, and I certainly wouldn't do that the same way now. It's a
              strip-planked 26' boat with semi-displacement lines. The comparison
              with the Fast Motorsailer is pretty interesting.

              Peter
            • Jonathan Smith
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jeffsprayer" <jeffsprayer@y...> wrote:
                > Hi all,
                > Now I am hoping to relocate to the Puget Sound area and am
                > researching Bolger designs compatible for those waters.

                Does it need to be trailerable?

                Jonathan
              • jeffsprayer
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Smith"
                  <the_jopasm@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jeffsprayer"
                  <jeffsprayer@y...> wrote:
                  > > Hi all,
                  > > Now I am hoping to relocate to the Puget Sound area and am
                  > > researching Bolger designs compatible for those waters.
                  >
                  > Does it need to be trailerable?
                  >
                  > Jonathan

                  Yes it does, unless I end up with waterfront property and my own
                  dock.
                • pep cruells
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ben_azo" <ben_azo@h...> wrote:
                    > So sory I cant follow the link via my server,and I am so curious
                    > Stephan
                    >
                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis"
                    > <futabachan@y...> wrote:
                    > > accomodations for 6. The one extant drawing of her is
                    > available
                    > > at http://www.crumblingempire.com/insolent, but there have
                    >
                    > > -- Sue --
                    > > (unofficial I60 class secretary and head cheerleader)
                    > > --
                    > > Susan Davis <futabachan@y...>

                    Stephan, try to delete the comma that Susan inadvertantly typed
                    after 'insolent', then the address will work. I mean, when
                    the 'error' message shows up, go to the address with your cursor,
                    click, it will turn blue, click again until the cursor shows up, go
                    to the 'virgule' delete it, click enter and there you go.

                    pep
                  • Ken Locarnini
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 2, 2003
                      But even if you do get that waterfront property, keep it in the public domain so we can all share. Land/water ownership is a habit all good nomads should give up.....
                      nunativs

                        Any land that is in the public domain is controled by
                        some burecrates who do not like nomads at anchor.
                        Lon
                        --- Ken Locarnini <renueden@...> wrote:
                        > But even if you do get that waterfront property,
                        > keep it in the public domain so we can all share.
                        > Land/water ownership is a habit all good nomads
                        > should give up.....
                        > nunativs

                        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                      • Wayne Gilham
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                          I've always lusted after the "Idaho" design.

                          In particular, from all I've gathered aout it over the years, it seems to
                          plane even when standing still -- especially, it doesn't dig a hole when
                          increasing speed. and with essentially only a bit of froth left behind
                          from your passing, the thousands of shore dwellers and anchored boaters will
                          be smiling as you pass by, even (heck, especially) at full-tilt -- a far cry
                          better in respect-for-others than those huge holes-in-the-water chopped out
                          (and rolling over the beaches) from all them inefficient Bayliners ETC ETC
                          that roil up our otherwise mostly calm waters....

                          What's unclear to me is the expected performance in a chop.... some have
                          said she should be smoother than expected 'cause the length supported by
                          water will bridge-over the waves... others think she'll just knife THRU chop
                          instead of rising up over every wave, thus not pounding (but boy could those
                          straight-sided bows throw wet spray!). HEY, any Sneakeasy owners: COMMENTS,
                          please!! I'd use prudence not to go out in anything over two or
                          three-foot chop, just wait for the waves to subside (which up here in Puget
                          Sound they almost ALWAYS do a few hours later when the current-direction
                          changes to with-the-wind instead of against-it....unless it's a big storm,
                          for which there's usually good advance warning)

                          I'd think seriously to scale her up altogether to about 36' (was thinking of
                          commissioning PCB to bless this idea or re-design it altogether-- maybe this
                          winter....) especially since as-designed (for Bernie Wolfard in his
                          wheelchair) she doesn't have standing headroom in the cabin, only a little
                          over 5' -- and I'd hate to destroy the good proportions by just raising the
                          cabintop on the existing design -- wonder what the up-scaling would do to
                          Phil's usually very economical use of 4x8 plywood sheets?

                          Another change for the NW would be to make the fwd & aft cockpits
                          self-draining (would need a false-floor above waterline -- but that'd be
                          only a couple of inches of "wasted space" higher, no?) -- else you'd be
                          sponging out that last bit of rainwater a bit too often (gotta keep up that
                          myth that it rains here all the time so ya all won't move here next week...
                          )

                          Put a good rowing boat up on the cabintop (how about a Platt Monfort
                          Geodesic Ultralite whitehall? pardon the blasphemy, but the light weight up
                          so high would be best for balance AND for easy-launch), a bunch of those
                          ubiquitious and cheap fold-up chinese canvas-chairs, a blow-up queen-sized
                          mattress with built-in inflator (deflate in the morning for more cabin room)
                          a prota-potti in the aft corner of the cabin, with pull-around
                          shower-curtain for privacy, A Toyoset forced-air kerosene heater (outside
                          vented) -- the most expensive "bit" at about $1200 (see http://www
                          toyotomiusa.com/products/cabinboatheaters/NS-2700-2.html), but essential for
                          NW cruising! --and HEY, you've got a practical weekender boat WITHOUT the
                          tedious construction of all that interior furniture, out cruising WEEKS
                          before any of the more intricate designs.

                          Am I nuts?

                          Wayne Gilham

                        • jeffsprayer
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gilham"
                            <wgilham@h...> wrote:
                            > I've always lusted after the "Idaho" design.

                            > HEY, you've got a practical weekender boat WITHOUT the
                            > tedious construction of all that interior furniture, out cruising
                            >WEEKS
                            > before any of the more intricate designs.
                            >
                            > Am I nuts?
                            >
                            > Wayne Gilham

                            That's what I like about this group. Those who post don't hold
                            back and even acknowledge their condition, the first step in
                            recovery Rx. Yes Wayne, you are nuts. The cure? Well, I think
                            it's a good dose of the very thing that ails you, me and the rest of
                            this board and beyound - just DO IT

                            Deciding and commiting on what to do (build) has been the
                            hardest thing for me, personally. I have soooo many factors to
                            consider that it bogles my mind at times. Precious time is
                            limited too... Thus, I want to decide once more as wisely as I can
                            given the present sum total of my affairs.

                            Idaho is way cool for what it is designed to do. It can be easily
                            modified as well. I do have the plans and many modifications
                            sketched out, but with my family size (6) and age range (7-15.5
                            ((energy needs space)) I'm afraid she's more a fast transport
                            than adventure rig. Maybe when we are few...

                            I'D LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR AWSOME INPUT
                            POSTED ON THIS BOARD AND DIRECTLY.

                            Jeff
                            nuts II
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                              When I imagine Puget Sound, I think of the libertarians, living below
                              the radar screen in the innumerable coves and inlets; such as Eagle
                              Harbor. If you are not in a hurry, and can wait for the tide and
                              wind to be right, why not build an Illinois? She would be the
                              perfect, drift from this cove to the next cove live-aboard. It would
                              take more years than one life to explore all the coves in Puget Sound
                              and the waters to the north.
                            • rsmboatbuilder
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                                I actually have the same goal and I have a small family that will
                                continue to stay small. There are three of us - Two adults and one
                                young child. I have spent countless hours pouring over Bolger
                                designs and those of www.CMDboats.com, and The troller designs of
                                George Behuler. And there are many arguments for each point of
                                view. I have spoken with Karl and Phil about boats for this region
                                and have rolled over sail vs. power for countless sleepless nights.
                                So I don't know if I will enlighten or just make the world more
                                cloudy.
                                Key design considerations I have -
                                1. An Ocean boat not a lake boat - This means some hull form for
                                handling Deception pass and making your way to Pt Roberts
                                2. Cozy interior not huge and spacious - Interior is for sleeping and
                                eating there should be some commune with the outdoors - Life is not
                                lived indoors (Unless your Canadian - Oh I will hear it on that one)
                                3. Small diesel power nothing over displacement speed definitely not
                                planing - I like efficiency and quiet operation over speed in arrival
                                etc etc etc
                                4. Pleasing to the eye inside and out - Nice sheer great character
                                looks like its either brand new or 60 years old cant quite tell from
                                looking
                                5. A nice head - This is my wifes consideration and she would place
                                this at number 1 but she isn't typing - Stand up and take a shower
                                sit down and take a ... NO PORTA POTTY - DLD toilet etc

                                That's it and this is what I have found
                                Puffin 28 - This fits us about 90% http://www.cmdboats.com/puffin.htm
                                Bayside 29 close too http://www.cmdboats.com/bayside29.htm
                                Black Crown 27 violates a few rules like cost
                                http://www.devlinboat.com/dcbc27.htmJennifer also violates some
                                http://www.gartsideboats.com/jennifer.php
                                OK and now for the Bolger candidates
                                Bolgers Diesel cruiser cartoon study with fore and aft cabins
                                A smaller power only Fuji style boat 32' in length and direct drive
                                no powercat outdrive
                                A stretched Alice stretched to 32-35'
                                Fast Motorsailer also violates a few rules
                                Plywood diesel cruiser Ch 56 BWOM

                                Buehler has some great boats too such as Diesel Duck etc

                                All in all I still like the Puffin since much of the cost of a power
                                boat is the engine and running gear I like to keep things small and
                                efficient.
                                Regards and good luck!
                                Ian
                              • Bruce Hector
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 3, 2003
                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gilham" <wgilham@h...> wrote:
                                  I'd think seriously to scale her up altogether to about 36' (version
                                  of Idaho)

                                  Check out his Minnesota design, essentially a flat bottomed Dakota
                                  with the head at the extreme stern in it's own "outhouse". I've long
                                  loved Minnie.

                                  Bruce Hector
                                • Ken Locarnini
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 5, 2003
                                    You might also consider the coastal cruiser by hankinson. The plans come with 23', 25', 27' lengths and they're trailerable with 8 1/2' beam. Nice pics and view of layout here:
                                    http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=coastalcrsr.html&&cart_id=2295227_23173

                                    Ken
[...]

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    Bolger rules!!!

                                  • timothyennuinet
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 14, 2003
                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ben_azo" <ben_azo@h...> wrote:
                                      > So sory I cant follow the link via my server,and I am so curious
                                      > Stephan

                                      She included a comma at the end.. this one will work:

                                      http://www.crumblingempire.com/insolent/

                                      --T