Bruce's teal mast

  • Frank San Miguel
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 1, 2003
      Bruce,

      I am liking that mast a lot. What kind of tree is it? :-)

      Frank

      > Except, I am still waiting for the
      > white polytarp to come via FedEx,
      > and hopefully it will come tomorrow.
      > In time for the weekend.
      >
      > http://www.hallman.org/bolger/Teal3/
      >
      > I also want a Folding Schooner, and
      > a Naval Jelly Galley, and they aren't
      > single handed. hmmm
    • John Warns
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 1, 2003
        I seen to remember reading about a 95 footer called the Sir Joseph Banks
        that was designed but never built.

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 1, 2003
          --- "Frank San Miguel" <sanmi@y...> wrote:
          > I am liking that mast a lot.
          > What kind of tree is it? :-)

          Some species of Eucalyptus
          from a forest near my house,
          not perfectly straight, but
          as close as I could find.

          I am guessing, that tree
          wood fibers are stronger
          when they are 'round' as
          opposed to sawn into a board
          with cross grain, excentricity,
          etc...

          I am frankly shocked to see that
          the specified mast height of
          15'8 1/2" exceeds the length
          of the boat by several feet.

          Am wondering if that much sail
          without a way to reef might be
          a problem in certain winds???

          I am also curious of opinions of
          how to cut the sail. Leech and
          foot straight, the luff should be
          'fattened' by 3" is my guess.
          Though, perhaps the flexibility
          of the needle thin mast might
          be enough for the 'fattening'
          of the sail without any special cut.

          Anybody know how to cut a Teal sail?
        • Frank San Miguel
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 1, 2003
            Comments below:

            wrote:
            > --- "Frank San Miguel" <sanmi@y...> wrote:
            > > I am liking that mast a lot.
            > > What kind of tree is it? :-)
            >
            > Some species of Eucalyptus
            > from a forest near my house,
            > not perfectly straight, but
            > as close as I could find.
            >
            > I am guessing, that tree
            > wood fibers are stronger
            > when they are 'round' as
            > opposed to sawn into a board
            > with cross grain, excentricity,
            > etc...
            >
            > I am frankly shocked to see that
            > the specified mast height of
            > 15'8 1/2" exceeds the length
            > of the boat by several feet.
            >
            > Am wondering if that much sail
            > without a way to reef might be
            > a problem in certain winds???

            I like a sail that can reef - it lets me sail safely in conditions
            where I would otherwise have to go home. Or lets me get home where
            I'd otherwise be stuck on the beach! :-)

            > I am also curious of opinions of
            > how to cut the sail. Leech and
            > foot straight, the luff should be
            > 'fattened' by 3" is my guess.
            > Though, perhaps the flexibility
            > of the needle thin mast might
            > be enough for the 'fattening'
            > of the sail without any special cut.

            I don't think so - especially with a bendy mast. I've found with my
            spritsail (Michalak AF3) that if I tighten the snotter too much, the
            mast bends and takes out enough of the draft (baggieness) that my
            upwind performance really suffers. In fact, I think I read somewhere
            that flattening the sail by tightening the snotter was used by old
            timers to reduce the forces in heavy winds.

            I believe there are two ways to build draft into the luff of a sail
            and my AF-3 sail has both:
            1. Sew in a foil shape. Michalak writes a lot about using "darts" to
            do this. You can also cut each panel like an orange peel so that when
            you assemble them, they come out to the right foil shape. I bought
            pre-cut panels from Sailrite and love the sail, but it wasn't cheap.
            2. Cut the luff of the sail with a slight convex bow. This increases
            the draft when the mast is straight, but when the mast bends the draft
            gets taken out. Kind of automatically de-powering when the wind
            blows. The leg-o-mutton spritsail mast also spills air from the top
            part when you heel low.

            So the bendyness of the mast probably makes a difference in how you
            cut your sail. For your mast, you might consider using the dart or
            orange peel method and put in a lot of draft (it really doesn't take
            any more time once you start sewing). Before I made my AF3 sail, I
            read all of Michalak's excellent articles and then bought "Sailmaker's
            Apprentice" The book is worth it just for the pictures and background
            info.

            Frank
          • welshman@ptialaska.net
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 1, 2003
              Bruce

              Check out

              http://www.sailcut.com/

              for free program to give the shape and cut of the panels

              HJ

[...]

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 1, 2003
                wrote:
                > Am wondering if that much sail
                > without a way to reef might be
                > a problem in certain winds???
                >
                > I am also curious of opinions of
                > how to cut the sail. Leech and
                > foot straight, the luff should be
                > 'fattened' by 3" is my guess.
                > Though, perhaps the flexibility
                > of the needle thin mast might
                > be enough for the 'fattening'
                > of the sail without any special cut.
                >
                > Anybody know how to cut a Teal sail?

                Bruce,
                I built a SURF many many moons ago and recall going to a local
                sailmaker.He wanted to know all sorts of things like,how come no reef
                points, and why the sail on the plans appeared to be cut rather
                flat.He also wanted to know how much the mast will bend.
                I knew even less then,than I do today about sails and figured I
                get the answers from the "horse's mouth". So,I called Bolger(these
                were in the days when he actually posted a phone number with his
                study plans).He picked up on the second ring.After some very light
                chit-chat,I put my sailmakers questions to him.With an economy of
                words that has to be heard to be appreciated,Bolger replied,in
                brief,cut the sail to the dimensions on the plans;do not try to guess
                mast bend since it varies according to building method and wood
                species and no reef points;the boat was not designed to be used in
                winds that would require reef points;if your sailmaker can't do
                it,then order the one available from Bondhle(sp).
                Sure 'nough,my sailmaker said he couldn't do it.I order may sail
                and used the SURF for several years with great satisfaction and
                happiness.Always respected the small craft warnings too,since I was
                convinced they were just for me :-)
                The TEAL is even smaller then the SURF, and I can only imagine
                that pretty much all of the above would basically apply too.

                Sincerely,
                Peter Lenihan
              • oneillparker
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 2, 2003

                  > Am wondering if that much sail
                  > without a way to reef might be
                  > a problem in certain winds???

                  Reefing by rolling around the mast won't let you rig the sprit. Big
                  drawback. Old-time New Haven sharpies used to have brails up the luff
                  to allow reefing that way.
                  I put reef points on my Cartoppers' sails. Same rig. They work great.
                  Obviously you'll need a halyard. Halyards add a lot of stress to a
                  mast. Bolger specifies mast dimensions for these rigs without
                  figuring in halyard stress. If you go the halyard route (and I've
                  sailed my Cartoppers reefed many, many times, with great enjoyment),
                  you'll want to dimension the mast a little bigger, or, rig up a jam
                  cleat at the mast head to relieve halyard stress. I use an open type
                  cleat mounted about 12" down from the masthead, in way of the
                  halyard. I hoist as usual, look up to make sure the halyard is in the
                  jam cleat, secure the downhaul, then I can let go the halyard and the
                  sail stays up. It works like a charm, and tremdously reduces mast
                  bend. When you want to douse sail, just pull the halyard away from
                  the mast, the jam cleat lets go, and down she comes.

                  > I am also curious of opinions of
                  > how to cut the sail. Leech and
                  > foot straight, the luff should be
                  > 'fattened' by 3" is my guess.
                  > Though, perhaps the flexibility
                  > of the needle thin mast might
                  > be enough for the 'fattening'
                  > of the sail without any special cut.

                  You do want some mast bend. It will significantly de-power the sail
                  in gusts.
                  Cut the foot dead straight. Cut some hollow in the leech to avoid
                  flutter. You do want draft, and a fair about of it because its a
                  catboat (no jib to help direct mainsail flow), so cut the luff about
                  3%-5% longer than the chord (horizantal dimension of the sail at any
                  given point). That number is gleaned from "The Sailmakers Apprentice"
                  by Emiliano Marino.

                  In higher winds tighten the snotter, the mast bends, and takes the
                  round out of the luff, flattening the sail and de-powering it.
                  Downwind in light air loosen the snotter and allow the sail to
                  billow, giving more power. In medium/high winds, downwind, tighten
                  the snotter to flatten sail and reduce/eliminate rythmic roll (a
                  scary thing). You might consider rigging up the snotter so you can
                  alter its verticle position. This gives you some additional leech
                  control. In lighter winds set it low on the mast, in higher winds set
                  it high. In real high winds set it lower (but not low) allowing the
                  leech to open and spilling some breeze, while yet allowing the
                  snotter to be kept tight, bending that mast (further de-powering).

                  I bought my sails, pre-cut but not assembled, from Sailrite, and have
                  been quite pleased with them (although I don't think they cut enough
                  draft into them).

                  Hope that helps.

                  John O'Neill
                • uncleralph123
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 3, 2003
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Frank San Miguel" <sanmi@y...> wrote:
                    > White eel is the same sort of plywood construction as Tahiti. Long
                    > but narrow.

                    Frank

                    What is the beam of White Eel?

                    Ralph
                  • Frank San Miguel
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 4, 2003
                      I couldn't rememebr the beam so I pulled out the study drawings. Here
                      are some Specs for White Eel:
                      69' length overall
                      64'6" length at waterline
                      11'7" Breadth over rub moldings
                      9'0" Breadth bottom
                      2'8" draft over skeg ar full fuel
                      1'11" Load hull draft
                      11'9" Height overall
                      9'7" Bridge clearance loaded
                      Displacement w/ full fuel load: 52,100 lb
                      Max hullspeed (nominal): 10.76 knots, possibly exceeding with her
                      slender shape.

                      Some other neat features:
                      - something like 5000 nm range
                      - a 15' birdwatcher-style sailing beach cruiser kept on deck
                      - 4" thick bottom, probably having a steel shoe, 2" thick sides
                      with extra 2" blue foam insulation

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "uncleralph123" <UncleRalph@a...> wrote:
                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Frank San Miguel" <sanmi@y...> wrote:
                      > > White eel is the same sort of plywood construction as Tahiti. Long
                      > > but narrow.
                      > >

                      > Frank
                      >
                      > What is the beam of White Eel?
                      >
                      > Ralph
                    • Susan Davis
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 4, 2003
                        > - a 15' birdwatcher-style sailing beach cruiser kept on deck

                        Which design is that?

                        --
                        Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                      • Frank San Miguel
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 5, 2003
                          Susan,

                          Its a yet-to-be-designed 15' boat. If you want to imagine it : take a
                          tortoise, extend it to 15', add a birdwatcher cabin and some of the
                          latest PCB&F styling, add a sail rig.

                          Frank