Re: Twisted Seagull swamped!

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2003
      --- "Bruce Hector" wrote:
      > Well it finally happened.
      >...as I swivelled around...

      Lesson to learn, {it has
      happened to me too.}

      The weight of my body is
      more than the weight of my
      boat. And controlling the
      center of gravity in the
      boat amounts to controlling
      how I sit and move around;
      which is easy to forget and
      to screw up.
    • Jack &Lois
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2003
        Well Bruce, there must be some cosmic law that determines the inevitability of the improbable swamping. That yours occured in a relatively unobserved site is what is unusual about the event. Two years ago at the Mohone Bay Wooden Boat Festival races, where we were racing with the windsprints and light schooners, I manage to swamp our June Bug just 5 minutes to race time... while still tied to the dock...with what appeared to be the entire population of festival goers looking on. My confidence in JB's supper stability had caused inflated confidence in my balancing skills. I tried to step around the mast by tipping it to one side while I did a tight rope act along the forward gunnel. ALMOST made it. Amazing how fast she filled. I considered faking a heart attack, but figured cardio paddles might be a bit risky in my soaking wet condition. Loved your narative, though. Please give me the URL for the messabout site, again. Meant to bookmark it, but forgot. As I mentioned to you before, our daughter's wedding on Sept. 6 sort of pre-empts our getting there. But since the wedding is happening in Eganville, we (or I) might possibly slip down on Sunday morning to meet folks and their boats if they're still around. I intend to have a couple of Volkskayaks (Jerry Gladwin design) on the roof of the car, so water visits are possible. Would love to meet you and other Bolgerados in person, so clear directions to messabout site will be appreciated. Stay dry.

        jeb, who never sets out in ANY boat now without a drybag loaded with towel and complete change of clothe, on the thermally menacing shores of Fundy