Re: butt joint?

  • Bruce Hector
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 2003
      It would work, butt (pun intended) be best suited for a temporary
      boat, like a TIMS unit. The first one I made used no glues at all.
      Just screws and bedding the parts with cheap, buck a tube, silicone
      caulking. No leaks and still floating after two weeks.

      Bruce Hector
    • welshman@ptialaska.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 30, 2003
        Sure

        I used weldwood glue on the butt joints of my first large boat a 26 footer.
        When I looked at the joints earlier in the year in Nome they still were
        good after 19 years.

        HJ

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 30, 2003
          There was a guy who lived not far from me and built boats 14'to 24'
          at a rate of perhaps 20 or more per year. All were build with glued
          and nailed butt straps. The nails in his latter boats were
          galvinizied roof nails. many of these boats survive still, some 25
          years old. some are painted real nice and some are hadly painted at
          all. These boats are passed from one person to another. I have never
          seen one in a dumpster. So dont let people fool you into thinking
          that the old simple ways are not as good as the fancy new ways. Jake

          .or@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...> wrote:
          > It would work, butt (pun intended) be best suited for a temporary
          > boat, like a TIMS unit. The first one I made used no glues at all.
          > Just screws and bedding the parts with cheap, buck a tube, silicone
          > caulking. No leaks and still floating after two weeks.
          >
          > Bruce Hector
        • lon wells
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30, 2003
            The boats designed by the UN to be built in developing
            counties have butt joints with a wood backing strip.
            --http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/W7260E/W7260E00.HTM-
            While the beveled and epoxy glued joint is stronger
            and does look better if done right the old ways still
            work
            Lon

            jakeman19652002 <jakeman19652002@...> wrote:
            > There was a guy who lived not far from me and built
            > boats 14'to 24'
            > at a rate of perhaps 20 or more per year. All were
            > build with glued
            > and nailed butt straps. The nails in his latter
            > boats were
            > galvinizied roof nails. many of these boats survive
            > still, some 25
            > years old. some are painted real nice and some are
            > hadly painted at
            > all. These boats are passed from one person to
            > another. I have never
            > seen one in a dumpster. So dont let people fool you
            > into thinking
            > that the old simple ways are not as good as the
            > fancy new ways. Jake
            >
            > .or@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector"
            > <bruce_hector@h...> wrote:
            > > It would work, butt (pun intended) be best suited
            > for a temporary
            > > boat, like a TIMS unit. The first one I made used
            > no glues at all.
            > > Just screws and bedding the parts with cheap, buck
            > a tube, silicone
            > > caulking. No leaks and still floating after two
            > weeks.
            > >
            > > Bruce Hector

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Corbin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30, 2003
              Thanks for the great link

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, lon wells <lononriver@y...> wrote:
              > The boats designed by the UN to be built in developing
              > counties have butt joints with a wood backing strip.
              > --http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/W7260E/W7260E00.HTM-
              > While the beveled and epoxy glued joint is stronger
              > and does look better if done right the old ways still
              > work
              > Lon
              >
              > jakeman19652002 <jakeman19652002@y...> wrote:
              > > There was a guy who lived not far from me and built
              > > boats 14'to 24'
              > > at a rate of perhaps 20 or more per year. All were
              > > build with glued
              > > and nailed butt straps. The nails in his latter
              > > boats were
              > > galvinizied roof nails. many of these boats survive
              > > still, some 25
              > > years old. some are painted real nice and some are
              > > hadly painted at
              > > all. These boats are passed from one person to
              > > another. I have never
              > > seen one in a dumpster. So dont let people fool you
              > > into thinking
              > > that the old simple ways are not as good as the
              > > fancy new ways. Jake
              > >
              > > .or@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector"
              > > <bruce_hector@h...> wrote:
              > > > It would work, butt (pun intended) be best suited
              > > for a temporary
              > > > boat, like a TIMS unit. The first one I made used
              > > no glues at all.
              > > > Just screws and bedding the parts with cheap, buck
              > > a tube, silicone
              > > > caulking. No leaks and still floating after two
              > > weeks.
              > > >
              > > > Bruce Hector

              > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • bshamblin2002
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31, 2003
                this seems like a joint where you would want the best glue, depending
                on what you are joining. the best glue would likely be epoxy. the
                ones i did were fitted closely at the joint with a large overlapping
                butt piece. epoxy applied and then all screwed down with 3 rows of
                drywall screws on both sides of the jointline. when dry the screws
                can come out or be ground off on the outside. glasscloth/epoxy over
                the joint on the outside. bill