Bolger- Snow Leopard design

  • Hugo Tyson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3 2:26 AM
      A few months ago I wrote Phil Bolger a letter about obtaining the plans for "Snow Leopard"- a 28' x 7' "Torpedo stern" runabout,a design featured in "Boats with an Open Mind".
      To my surprise , very late one evening the phone rang and it was Phil Bolger and Susanne Altenburger on the other end.The "Snow Leopard" design was apparently only a study as featured in the book with the plans only for making a "Lift" model.But Both Phil and Susanne were very eager to develop this design and had been waiting for years for someone to commission them to complete the plans from the original idea.To say the least I was very surprised to receive a phone call from Phil and Susanne,especially because I live in Tasmania, Australia!
      Anyway I gave them the go ahead and a fairly freehand to complete the design ,but specified that the design shouldn't be more than 26' long.Though they had a fairly full workload, I'm hoping from what they said that the design will be completed before this Christmas.I think one of the main reasons that I had such a prompt and favourable response from Phil Bolger and Friends was the fact that my father had built "Merlin"(Marina Cruiser),"Romp", a "Chebacco" and many dinghies including a 13'6'' "Recreational" Row Boat that no one else had and had done such a superb job on each of the boats..

    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3 3:46 AM
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Hugo Tyson <hhetyson@y...> wrote:
        > A few months ago I wrote Phil Bolger a letter about obtaining the
        plans for "Snow Leopard"- a 28' x 7' "Torpedo stern" runabout,a
        design featured in "Boats with an Open Mind".

        So Hugo,are you actually going to "commission" this design to bring
        it out of the lift model stage and actually build her or are you
        just shopping? She would make a very nice runabout if done
        absolutely right and very easy to screw up if you don't know what to
        expect next.
        Then again, it will be nice to at least have the Bolger catalogue
        filled out with finished plans....

        Peter Lenihan