Re: [bolger] Re: barrier reef cruiser

  • David & Shirley Wallace
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
      Wayne

      Very nice boat and looks like it would be well suited to my needs but a
      little expensive to build , just doing a quick rundown on major items and
      just on ply , epoxy and fibreglass and the transport costs involved to get
      it all to me and the price is already well over $10,000 and I know from
      every thing else I've built all those little incidentals that are too small
      and too many to take into account when pricing things can often add up to
      almost as much as main items , how does this design compare with some thing
      of the same size in a Bolger design as far as cost [ number of sheets of ply
      , epoxy , fibreglass ect ] I know that part of the attraction with building
      your own boat is the fact that you can spread the cost over a period of time
      but I've noticed that some designs are more costly in materials and time
      than others

      David Wallace

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
        I don't feel the same way you do about Australian Amateur
        Boatbuilder.
        The copies I have seen seem to be full of thinly disguised
        advertorial; pillaged Bolger plans, all printed on colored toilet
        paper, appearing on the shelves at odd intervals.
        DonB

        > David,
        >
        > Here are a couple of local links that might interest you:
        >
        > www.headlandboats.com
        >
        > www.scruffie.com
        >
        > You might also find it useful to get a copy of the latest issue of
        Australian
        > Amateur Boatbuilder.
        >
        > Howard

      • David & Shirley Wallace
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
          Don

          Thinly disguised advertorials ? , yep , you may well be right , but that
          applies to pretty much any magazine these days , but it's the only one we
          got and for me it's the only place I can find sources for the bits and
          pieces I need for my projects ,
          David Wallace

          > I don't feel the same way you do about Australian Amateur
          > Boatbuilder.
          > The copies I have seen seem to be full of thinly disguised
          > advertorial; pillaged Bolger plans, all printed on colored toilet
          > paper, appearing on the shelves at odd intervals.
          > DonB
          >
          > > David,
          > >
          > > Here are a couple of local links that might interest you:
          > >
          > > www.headlandboats.com
          > >
          > > www.scruffie.com
          > >
          > > You might also find it useful to get a copy of the latest issue of
          > Australian
          > > Amateur Boatbuilder.
          > >
          > > Howard

          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        • David & Shirley Wallace
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
            A boat that does appeal to me is the Mark V 20
            http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/index.html

            It really does appeal to me , it could be fitted out with a stove , portable
            crapper , deck shower and a cooler and your all set , but how it would
            handle a bit of rough water I have no idea , but it looks like the draught
            would be shallow enough that I could get most of the places I want to go .
            any ideas about how sea worthy ?

            Regards
            David Wallace

            > Off-shore capable displacement cruiser? How about this one?
            > http://www.bateau.com/plans/power/MT24.php3

            01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          • Sam Glasscock
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
              David, you might want to check out Bolger's Topaz and
              her more seaworthy big sisters, Tahiti and Sitka
              Explorer. Very similar to the Mark V, but with a
              deadrise section forward that gives them better
              performance in a chop. The Topaz was designed for
              semi-sheltered water (Long Island Sound). The Tahiti
              is a passagemaker. Sitka Explorer might be ideal for
              your purposes. I believe she was initially laid out
              for running the inside passage in Alaska. I think
              PB&F have a commission to finish her off and that
              plans will be available soon. Something like 36' x
              8', low power, easy to build. Topaz, if you could get
              away with her, is 31'x 6-1/2', a very comfortable
              two-place glass house cruiser.
              --- David & Shirley Wallace
              <swallace@...> wrote:

              > A boat that does appeal to me is the Mark V 20

              http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/index.html

              > It really does appeal to me , it could be fitted out
              > with a stove , portable
              > crapper , deck shower and a cooler and your all set
              > , but how it would
              > handle a bit of rough water I have no idea , but it
              > looks like the draught
              > would be shallow enough that I could get most of the
              > places I want to go .
              > any ideas about how sea worthy ?
              >
              > Regards
              > David Wallace

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • dbaldnz
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                Now here we agree David. This is a very nice boat.....one of my
                never to be fulfilled dream projects!
                DonB

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David & Shirley Wallace"

              • stephensonhw@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                  In a message dated 7/2/2003 8:50:15 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
                  oink@... writes:

                  > I don't feel the same way you do about Australian Amateur
                  > Boatbuilder.
                  > The copies I have seen seem to be full of thinly disguised
                  > advertorial; pillaged Bolger plans, all printed on colored toilet
                  > paper, appearing on the shelves at odd intervals.
                  > DonB

                  Don

                  Just so others will know how I feel about the magazine: iIt's certainly not
                  perfect, but I find it a useful source of information about small-boat designs
                  and boat building material. The advertorials are not what I would call
                  disguised -- they are quite blatant. I think we would be worse off without it.

                  Howard

                  I fear that it appeals to a rather small market and the editor has to rely on
                  advertisers for the editorial content.

                • David & Shirley Wallace
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                    I've tried to find info on the Sitka Explorer but the only thing I've come
                    across is two news group messages from last year , is that the sum of
                    information about the design on the net so far ?

                    David Wallace

                    > David, you might want to check out Bolger's Topaz and
                    > her more seaworthy big sisters, Tahiti and Sitka
                    > Explorer. Very similar to the Mark V, but with a
                    > deadrise section forward that gives them better
                    > performance in a chop. The Topaz was designed for
                    > semi-sheltered water (Long Island Sound). The Tahiti
                    > is a passagemaker. Sitka Explorer might be ideal for
                    > your purposes. I believe she was initially laid out
                    > for running the inside passage in Alaska. I think
                    > PB&F have a commission to finish her off and that
                    > plans will be available soon. Something like 36' x
                    > 8', low power, easy to build. Topaz, if you could get
                    > away with her, is 31'x 6-1/2', a very comfortable
                    > two-place glass house cruiser.
                    > --- David & Shirley Wallace
                    > <swallace@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > A boat that does appeal to me is the Mark V 20
                    > >

                    > http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/index.html
                    > >
                    > > It really does appeal to me , it could be fitted out
                    > > with a stove , portable
                    > > crapper , deck shower and a cooler and your all set
                    > > , but how it would
                    > > handle a bit of rough water I have no idea , but it
                    > > looks like the draught
                    > > would be shallow enough that I could get most of the
                    > > places I want to go .
                    > > any ideas about how sea worthy ?
                    > >
                    > > Regards
                    > > David Wallace

                  • Sam Glasscock
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                      David, the design was offered in Messing About In
                      Boats sometime in the last year. Unfortunately I have
                      forgotten the issue. I bet somebody in this group can
                      help you find it. My understanding is this design
                      will be finished and offered in the next few months.
                      It is the prettiest, in my opinion, of the "Topaz"
                      line of boats.
                      --- David & Shirley Wallace

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                        Sam