Re: [bolger] re: barrier reef cruiser

  • David & Shirley Wallace
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
      Howard

      Some interesting boats there , when I was down in Brisbane about a month ago
      I went to the Working with Wood show , there was a display by the Wooden
      Boat Association , they had a restored open dinghy with a very small diesel
      motor , the boat was smaller than the mates at 14' but very nice all the
      same , wish I had one , Hell I may build my own one day if I can find one
      of those old motors , I've been thinking about it for several years , they
      are hard to get as the old single cylinder motors are popular with
      collectors , they do them up and just play with them , they don't actually
      use them just take them out and display them to other collectors , Actually
      it does drive me a little crazy , a mate of mine is a collector down in
      Brisbane , he has about 30 small diesel motors , they all run perfectly , he
      won't sell any , actually he won't even show them to other enthusiasts as he
      reckons if people knew what he had some one would try and steal them

      I already get The Australian Amateur Boatbuilder, good mag , but it takes
      too long between editions

      Regards
      David Wallace

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
        David,

        Off-shore capable displacement cruiser? How about this one?
        http://www.bateau.com/plans/power/MT24.php3
      • David & Shirley Wallace
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
          Wayne

          Very nice boat and looks like it would be well suited to my needs but a
          little expensive to build , just doing a quick rundown on major items and
          just on ply , epoxy and fibreglass and the transport costs involved to get
          it all to me and the price is already well over $10,000 and I know from
          every thing else I've built all those little incidentals that are too small
          and too many to take into account when pricing things can often add up to
          almost as much as main items , how does this design compare with some thing
          of the same size in a Bolger design as far as cost [ number of sheets of ply
          , epoxy , fibreglass ect ] I know that part of the attraction with building
          your own boat is the fact that you can spread the cost over a period of time
          but I've noticed that some designs are more costly in materials and time
          than others

          David Wallace

          > Off-shore capable displacement cruiser? How about this one?
          > http://www.bateau.com/plans/power/MT24.php3

          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        • dbaldnz
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
            I don't feel the same way you do about Australian Amateur
            Boatbuilder.
            The copies I have seen seem to be full of thinly disguised
            advertorial; pillaged Bolger plans, all printed on colored toilet
            paper, appearing on the shelves at odd intervals.
            DonB

            > David,
            >
            > Here are a couple of local links that might interest you:
            >
            > www.headlandboats.com
            >
            > www.scruffie.com
            >
            > You might also find it useful to get a copy of the latest issue of
            Australian
            > Amateur Boatbuilder.
            >
            > Howard

          • David & Shirley Wallace
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
              Don

              Thinly disguised advertorials ? , yep , you may well be right , but that
              applies to pretty much any magazine these days , but it's the only one we
              got and for me it's the only place I can find sources for the bits and
              pieces I need for my projects ,
              David Wallace

              > I don't feel the same way you do about Australian Amateur
              > Boatbuilder.
              > The copies I have seen seem to be full of thinly disguised
              > advertorial; pillaged Bolger plans, all printed on colored toilet
              > paper, appearing on the shelves at odd intervals.
              > DonB
              >
              > > David,
              > >
              > > Here are a couple of local links that might interest you:
              > >
              > > www.headlandboats.com
              > >
              > > www.scruffie.com
              > >
              > > You might also find it useful to get a copy of the latest issue of
              > Australian
              > > Amateur Boatbuilder.
              > >
              > > Howard

              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

            • David & Shirley Wallace
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                A boat that does appeal to me is the Mark V 20
                http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/index.html

                It really does appeal to me , it could be fitted out with a stove , portable
                crapper , deck shower and a cooler and your all set , but how it would
                handle a bit of rough water I have no idea , but it looks like the draught
                would be shallow enough that I could get most of the places I want to go .
                any ideas about how sea worthy ?

                Regards
                David Wallace

                > Off-shore capable displacement cruiser? How about this one?
                > http://www.bateau.com/plans/power/MT24.php3

                01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              • Sam Glasscock
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                  David, you might want to check out Bolger's Topaz and
                  her more seaworthy big sisters, Tahiti and Sitka
                  Explorer. Very similar to the Mark V, but with a
                  deadrise section forward that gives them better
                  performance in a chop. The Topaz was designed for
                  semi-sheltered water (Long Island Sound). The Tahiti
                  is a passagemaker. Sitka Explorer might be ideal for
                  your purposes. I believe she was initially laid out
                  for running the inside passage in Alaska. I think
                  PB&F have a commission to finish her off and that
                  plans will be available soon. Something like 36' x
                  8', low power, easy to build. Topaz, if you could get
                  away with her, is 31'x 6-1/2', a very comfortable
                  two-place glass house cruiser.
                  --- David & Shirley Wallace
                  <swallace@...> wrote:

                  > A boat that does appeal to me is the Mark V 20

                  http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/index.html

                  > It really does appeal to me , it could be fitted out
                  > with a stove , portable
                  > crapper , deck shower and a cooler and your all set
                  > , but how it would
                  > handle a bit of rough water I have no idea , but it
                  > looks like the draught
                  > would be shallow enough that I could get most of the
                  > places I want to go .
                  > any ideas about how sea worthy ?
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > David Wallace

                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • dbaldnz
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                    Now here we agree David. This is a very nice boat.....one of my
                    never to be fulfilled dream projects!
                    DonB

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David & Shirley Wallace"

                  • stephensonhw@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                      In a message dated 7/2/2003 8:50:15 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
                      oink@... writes:

                      > I don't feel the same way you do about Australian Amateur
                      > Boatbuilder.
                      > The copies I have seen seem to be full of thinly disguised
                      > advertorial; pillaged Bolger plans, all printed on colored toilet
                      > paper, appearing on the shelves at odd intervals.
                      > DonB

                      Don

                      Just so others will know how I feel about the magazine: iIt's certainly not
                      perfect, but I find it a useful source of information about small-boat designs
                      and boat building material. The advertorials are not what I would call
                      disguised -- they are quite blatant. I think we would be worse off without it.

                      Howard

                      I fear that it appeals to a rather small market and the editor has to rely on
                      advertisers for the editorial content.

                    • David & Shirley Wallace
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                        I've tried to find info on the Sitka Explorer but the only thing I've come
                        across is two news group messages from last year , is that the sum of
                        information about the design on the net so far ?

                        David Wallace

                        > David, you might want to check out Bolger's Topaz and
                        > her more seaworthy big sisters, Tahiti and Sitka
                        > Explorer. Very similar to the Mark V, but with a
                        > deadrise section forward that gives them better
                        > performance in a chop. The Topaz was designed for
                        > semi-sheltered water (Long Island Sound). The Tahiti
                        > is a passagemaker. Sitka Explorer might be ideal for
                        > your purposes. I believe she was initially laid out
                        > for running the inside passage in Alaska. I think
                        > PB&F have a commission to finish her off and that
                        > plans will be available soon. Something like 36' x
                        > 8', low power, easy to build. Topaz, if you could get
                        > away with her, is 31'x 6-1/2', a very comfortable
                        > two-place glass house cruiser.
                        > --- David & Shirley Wallace
                        > <swallace@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > A boat that does appeal to me is the Mark V 20
                        > >

                        > http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/index.html
                        > >
                        > > It really does appeal to me , it could be fitted out
                        > > with a stove , portable
                        > > crapper , deck shower and a cooler and your all set
                        > > , but how it would
                        > > handle a bit of rough water I have no idea , but it
                        > > looks like the draught
                        > > would be shallow enough that I could get most of the
                        > > places I want to go .
                        > > any ideas about how sea worthy ?
                        > >
                        > > Regards
                        > > David Wallace

                      • Sam Glasscock
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                          David, the design was offered in Messing About In
                          Boats sometime in the last year. Unfortunately I have
                          forgotten the issue. I bet somebody in this group can
                          help you find it. My understanding is this design
                          will be finished and offered in the next few months.
                          It is the prettiest, in my opinion, of the "Topaz"
                          line of boats.
                          --- David & Shirley Wallace

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                            Sam