Re: barrier reef cruiser

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
      In the boatdesign group, there is a discussion of a good boat for the
      upper Mississippi. A dory was suggested, which suggested to me that
      you might look into a power dory for the Reef. Bolger designed a 23'
      dory. As I remember, the idea was to use a particular Italian diesel
      outboard. I have no idea where you could look that up, except perhaps
      in Messing About in Boats. I think I'd stick with a straight power
      version; the cabin sailing dories seem very compromised to me.

      I know that William Garden has a power dory in one of his design
      books.

      Peter
    • stephensonhw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
        In a message dated 7/1/2003 10:08:50 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
        swallace@... writes:

        > actually have a fondness for the old single cylinder diesel motors as well
        > , one of my fondest memories is cruising around Morton bay in a mates 17'
        > open boat with single cylinder motor , a nice calm day , the chug , chug ,
        > chug of the motor and a cooler full of beer and a couple of kilo's of prawns
        > , life doesn't get much better .
        >
        > Regards
        > David Wallace

        David,

        Here are a couple of local links that might interest you:

        www.headlandboats.com

        www.scruffie.com

        You might also find it useful to get a copy of the latest issue of Australian
        Amateur Boatbuilder.

        Howard

      • David & Shirley Wallace
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
          Howard

          Some interesting boats there , when I was down in Brisbane about a month ago
          I went to the Working with Wood show , there was a display by the Wooden
          Boat Association , they had a restored open dinghy with a very small diesel
          motor , the boat was smaller than the mates at 14' but very nice all the
          same , wish I had one , Hell I may build my own one day if I can find one
          of those old motors , I've been thinking about it for several years , they
          are hard to get as the old single cylinder motors are popular with
          collectors , they do them up and just play with them , they don't actually
          use them just take them out and display them to other collectors , Actually
          it does drive me a little crazy , a mate of mine is a collector down in
          Brisbane , he has about 30 small diesel motors , they all run perfectly , he
          won't sell any , actually he won't even show them to other enthusiasts as he
          reckons if people knew what he had some one would try and steal them

          I already get The Australian Amateur Boatbuilder, good mag , but it takes
          too long between editions

          Regards
          David Wallace

          > In a message dated 7/1/2003 10:08:50 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
          > swallace@... writes:
          >

          > > actually have a fondness for the old single cylinder diesel motors as
          well
          > > , one of my fondest memories is cruising around Morton bay in a mates
          17'
          > > open boat with single cylinder motor , a nice calm day , the chug , chug
          ,
          > > chug of the motor and a cooler full of beer and a couple of kilo's of
          prawns
          > > , life doesn't get much better .
          > >
          > > Regards
          > > David Wallace
          > >

          > David,
          >
          > Here are a couple of local links that might interest you:
          >
          > www.headlandboats.com
          >
          > www.scruffie.com
          >
          > You might also find it useful to get a copy of the latest issue of
          Australian
          > Amateur Boatbuilder.
          >
          > Howard

          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        • Wayne Farris
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
            David,

            Off-shore capable displacement cruiser? How about this one?
            http://www.bateau.com/plans/power/MT24.php3
          • David & Shirley Wallace
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
              Wayne

              Very nice boat and looks like it would be well suited to my needs but a
              little expensive to build , just doing a quick rundown on major items and
              just on ply , epoxy and fibreglass and the transport costs involved to get
              it all to me and the price is already well over $10,000 and I know from
              every thing else I've built all those little incidentals that are too small
              and too many to take into account when pricing things can often add up to
              almost as much as main items , how does this design compare with some thing
              of the same size in a Bolger design as far as cost [ number of sheets of ply
              , epoxy , fibreglass ect ] I know that part of the attraction with building
              your own boat is the fact that you can spread the cost over a period of time
              but I've noticed that some designs are more costly in materials and time
              than others

              David Wallace

              > Off-shore capable displacement cruiser? How about this one?
              > http://www.bateau.com/plans/power/MT24.php3

              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

            • dbaldnz
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                I don't feel the same way you do about Australian Amateur
                Boatbuilder.
                The copies I have seen seem to be full of thinly disguised
                advertorial; pillaged Bolger plans, all printed on colored toilet
                paper, appearing on the shelves at odd intervals.
                DonB

                > David,
                >
                > Here are a couple of local links that might interest you:
                >
                > www.headlandboats.com
                >
                > www.scruffie.com
                >
                > You might also find it useful to get a copy of the latest issue of
                Australian
                > Amateur Boatbuilder.
                >
                > Howard

              • David & Shirley Wallace
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                  Don

                  Thinly disguised advertorials ? , yep , you may well be right , but that
                  applies to pretty much any magazine these days , but it's the only one we
                  got and for me it's the only place I can find sources for the bits and
                  pieces I need for my projects ,
                  David Wallace

                  > I don't feel the same way you do about Australian Amateur
                  > Boatbuilder.
                  > The copies I have seen seem to be full of thinly disguised
                  > advertorial; pillaged Bolger plans, all printed on colored toilet
                  > paper, appearing on the shelves at odd intervals.
                  > DonB
                  >
                  > > David,
                  > >
                  > > Here are a couple of local links that might interest you:
                  > >
                  > > www.headlandboats.com
                  > >
                  > > www.scruffie.com
                  > >
                  > > You might also find it useful to get a copy of the latest issue of
                  > Australian
                  > > Amateur Boatbuilder.
                  > >
                  > > Howard

                  01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                • David & Shirley Wallace
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                    A boat that does appeal to me is the Mark V 20
                    http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/index.html

                    It really does appeal to me , it could be fitted out with a stove , portable
                    crapper , deck shower and a cooler and your all set , but how it would
                    handle a bit of rough water I have no idea , but it looks like the draught
                    would be shallow enough that I could get most of the places I want to go .
                    any ideas about how sea worthy ?

                    Regards
                    David Wallace

                    > Off-shore capable displacement cruiser? How about this one?
                    > http://www.bateau.com/plans/power/MT24.php3

                    01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                  • Sam Glasscock
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                      David, you might want to check out Bolger's Topaz and
                      her more seaworthy big sisters, Tahiti and Sitka
                      Explorer. Very similar to the Mark V, but with a
                      deadrise section forward that gives them better
                      performance in a chop. The Topaz was designed for
                      semi-sheltered water (Long Island Sound). The Tahiti
                      is a passagemaker. Sitka Explorer might be ideal for
                      your purposes. I believe she was initially laid out
                      for running the inside passage in Alaska. I think
                      PB&F have a commission to finish her off and that
                      plans will be available soon. Something like 36' x
                      8', low power, easy to build. Topaz, if you could get
                      away with her, is 31'x 6-1/2', a very comfortable
                      two-place glass house cruiser.
                      --- David & Shirley Wallace
                      <swallace@...> wrote:

                      > A boat that does appeal to me is the Mark V 20

                      http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/index.html

                      > It really does appeal to me , it could be fitted out
                      > with a stove , portable
                      > crapper , deck shower and a cooler and your all set
                      > , but how it would
                      > handle a bit of rough water I have no idea , but it
                      > looks like the draught
                      > would be shallow enough that I could get most of the
                      > places I want to go .
                      > any ideas about how sea worthy ?
                      >
                      > Regards
                      > David Wallace

                      http://sbc.yahoo.com
                    • dbaldnz
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                        Now here we agree David. This is a very nice boat.....one of my
                        never to be fulfilled dream projects!
                        DonB

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David & Shirley Wallace"

                      • stephensonhw@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 2, 2003
                          In a message dated 7/2/2003 8:50:15 PM E. Australia Standard Time,
                          oink@... writes:

                          > I don't feel the same way you do about Australian Amateur
                          > Boatbuilder.
                          > The copies I have seen seem to be full of thinly disguised
                          > advertorial; pillaged Bolger plans, all printed on colored toilet
                          > paper, appearing on the shelves at odd intervals.
                          > DonB

                          Don

                          Just so others will know how I feel about the magazine: iIt's certainly not
                          perfect, but I find it a useful source of information about small-boat designs
                          and boat building material. The advertorials are not what I would call
                          disguised -- they are quite blatant. I think we would be worse off without it.

                          Howard

                          I fear that it appeals to a rather small market and the editor has to rely on
                          advertisers for the editorial content.

                        • David & Shirley Wallace
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                            I've tried to find info on the Sitka Explorer but the only thing I've come
                            across is two news group messages from last year , is that the sum of
                            information about the design on the net so far ?

                            David Wallace

                            > David, you might want to check out Bolger's Topaz and
                            > her more seaworthy big sisters, Tahiti and Sitka
                            > Explorer. Very similar to the Mark V, but with a
                            > deadrise section forward that gives them better
                            > performance in a chop. The Topaz was designed for
                            > semi-sheltered water (Long Island Sound). The Tahiti
                            > is a passagemaker. Sitka Explorer might be ideal for
                            > your purposes. I believe she was initially laid out
                            > for running the inside passage in Alaska. I think
                            > PB&F have a commission to finish her off and that
                            > plans will be available soon. Something like 36' x
                            > 8', low power, easy to build. Topaz, if you could get
                            > away with her, is 31'x 6-1/2', a very comfortable
                            > two-place glass house cruiser.
                            > --- David & Shirley Wallace
                            > <swallace@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > A boat that does appeal to me is the Mark V 20
                            > >

                            > http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/index.html
                            > >
                            > > It really does appeal to me , it could be fitted out
                            > > with a stove , portable
                            > > crapper , deck shower and a cooler and your all set
                            > > , but how it would
                            > > handle a bit of rough water I have no idea , but it
                            > > looks like the draught
                            > > would be shallow enough that I could get most of the
                            > > places I want to go .
                            > > any ideas about how sea worthy ?
                            > >
                            > > Regards
                            > > David Wallace

                          • Sam Glasscock
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                              David, the design was offered in Messing About In
                              Boats sometime in the last year. Unfortunately I have
                              forgotten the issue. I bet somebody in this group can
                              help you find it. My understanding is this design
                              will be finished and offered in the next few months.
                              It is the prettiest, in my opinion, of the "Topaz"
                              line of boats.
                              --- David & Shirley Wallace

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                                Sam