TIMS uodate

  • Bruce Hector
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2003
      The TIMS stern power unit is almost ready for her July 1, Canada Day
      launch. Still to do in the morning are: attach gussets and cleats,
      attach roof, find a motor, attach motor board to transom, paint her
      red and white (what other colour scheme would be appropriate for a
      Canada Day launch, and get the cap off the truck to I can load the
      sucker. She does have 6' 1" headroom, so she won't fit in the Chev
      without taking the cap off.

      The entire house lifts off, like a truck cap, when not wanted. It
      will attach with 4 C-clamps when needed. Well maybe six. The house is
      framed with 1 by 2s and skinned with 1/8" mahogany door skins to keep
      the superstructure light. The roof will be 1/8"o, so don't even THINK
      of walking on it!

      My darling Elaine, who also brought me a hot supper at 7 pm EST,
      came and rescued me from manic boatbuilding at midnight. Now I'm
      showered and shaved, covered in cured PL Premium, that just will NOT
      come off.

      The bow unit is coming along nicely, a bit of a hybrid (but then, so
      is the whole concept) she's glued and screwed on 2 by 2 chine logs
      for the first 4 feet looking forward from the transom, morphing to
      tack and tape epoxy at the stemless bow. I couldn't get 2 by 2s to
      take the curve to be chine logs past the second bulkhead from the
      transom, so the forward 8 feet will all be epoxy and taped seams.

      She'll be stemless. I screwed the bow together with 3 inch screws to
      get the fasteners back from the stem. Then I laid in three layers of
      FG cloth wetted out with epoxy and a great big fillet of epoxy
      thickened with wood flour on the inside of the "stem"
      (I gotta' buy shares in West Sys. if I'm gonna' keep doing these
      stunts) which I pray will hold when I pull the screws tomorrow
      morning.

      The bottom line: A TIMS Mini Towboat WILL be launched tomorrow,
      probably without a mill, as my friend whose hobby is restoring old
      motors is away for the holiday. But if the persistant clinging to my
      hands of PL is any indicator, the sucker will never leak!

      Bruce Hector
      http://www.brucesboats.com
      I can't believe that Bolger's boats are called boxes, they should see
      mine! PB and F got nothing boxier than a TIMS module!