Re: Pointy Skiff renovations

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
      > Weigh in on opinions, we are never short of them here!
      >
      > David Jost
      > "itching to start a new one"

      Hi David,
      Don't know exactly what your use scenarios are(still doing the
      family fishing?) but I would be inclined for a June Bug since she
      has good carrying capacity,can be rigged for sail when the spirit
      moves and is of a nice size to raise one end up onto the roof rack
      followed by lifting the other end and pushing her into place.
      Another sweety that really moves very well through the water
      and has lots of nice traditional elements is the John Welsford
      design Seagull,see here;
      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/plans/jw/seagull/index.htm

      I had a chance to row the one built by Monsieur Bruce,Le Baron de
      Kingston, just two weekends ago and was more then impressed with
      both Bruces straight ahead building of her and the boats
      performance.The whole "flipping gang" got to try her out and all
      were in agreement over her performance......simply delightful! We
      even took her out with three on board( and I'm not talking svelt
      althletic types here:-) ) and she handled the load with aplomb.

      On the otherhand,if it is Bolger you wish to stick with but desire
      perhaps more"style",then maybe SpurII would be a fine fair test of
      your growing abilities as an amateur boatbuilder.Her construction
      too would lend itself to working in short little spurts in between
      the usual commitments of modern life.She is also light enough to
      hoist up onto the roof rack :-)

      Good luck with the hunt!

      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan,who never met a boat he didn't find some way to
      like,from along the dark shores of the St.Lawrence..........