Re: Infinite Modular Sharpie

  • Bruce Hector
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2003
      Hi Guys, I'm just taking a little break from building the TIMS now.
      I'm about half way through slamming a centre section together.
      Started 3 hours ago. Ran out of 2 by 2s, for chine logs, gunwales,
      frame edging, etc. So I'm off to home depot for more.

      Yes Peter, three sheets of 1/2" ply builds her bottom, sides, ends,
      and leaves enough for a centre bulkhead or two and a thwart top of
      about 11" width. Will this sucker row, or what?

      Anyone building a section, remember to subtract the 1/2" thickness of
      the ply from the height of the bulkheads so you won't have to cut it
      off later, like I just did. Or have sides 1/2" shorter than the
      frames as they sit on the top of the bottom sheathing and the sides
      hang flush with the bottom plywood.

      If you want to slap one together, just make her ends 4' beam, by 2'
      height. Cut out a 16" wide by 12" deep door on the centre line of the
      ends (transom and bow) Make the door hinge inward, or leave it off,
      if you dare. Put a good strong gusset in every corner and a 4" cleat
      for the lash up. I'm adding a 2 by 4 keel, and probably a 2 by 4
      rubrail 12" off the bottom. On trials, I'll see if a cleat is needed
      at the ends of the rubrails for a lower lash point.

      Finnish the interior any way you wish. Ditto the sides, and top too,
      if you want, as long as you can leave a flat gusset with a strong
      cleat at all 4 corners with knuckle clearance for lashing.

      Pictures at eleven.

      Bruce Hector
      http://www.brucesboats.com