16' Pirogue

  • David & Shirley Wallace
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
      Hi , I'm generally a lurker here most times , while I've built a couple of
      canoes I haven't yet built a Bolger design , one that interests me is the
      16' Pirogue , has any one built it ? if so what was your experience with it
      as far as handling goes . it looks from the dimensions to be stable but I
      keep seeing things on the net about it being obnoxiously tippy , is this
      just under sail or just tippy all together ? is it a stitch and glue design
      or a tack and tape ?

      Regards

      David Wallace
    • pseudospark
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David & Shirley Wallace"
        <swallace@c...> wrote:
        > I haven't yet built a Bolger design , one that interests me is the
        > 16' Pirogue, has any one built it ?

        David, if you mean the Pirogue for which CSB provides plans I built
        one about a dozen years ago. I stretched it to a bit over 19 ft.
        keeping all else the same. I use it with oars, paddles, electric
        motor and pole and it's quite stable. Pictures can be seen at
        http://www.belljar.net/boat.htm . My wife and I use it frequently on
        rivers, lakes and protected coastal areas.

        Steve Hansen
      • jamesjjstumpf@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
          I built the 16 ft Pirogue that Steve built also. There is nothing tippy about
          this boat and she is very dry in rough water. Mine is rigged for sail and
          paddle and we have enjoyed using it for two summers now. I wanted to car top the
          boat but with fiberglass on it it is not a one man job to hike it up on to the
          truck. We built the Pirogue as a demo at the North American Boat Show in
          Cleveland and I have some construction photos and some on the water, if you are
          interested I can e mail them to you.

          Jim

        • David & Shirley Wallace
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
            Steve

            Yeah , I think that's the one , I saw it here
            http://www.common-sense-boats.com/boats/Canoes_&_kayaks/pirogue.htm

            It looks quite good , they reckon the weight is 85 lb , and that doesn't
            sound too bad either , I built a Huntyak recently , it's similar in many
            ways to the 16' Pirogue but mine ended up much heavier than I intended , I'd
            like to build another and make it a bit lighter so it's easier for me to
            handle my self if need be , I like the style of boat , reasonably long and
            not too bad to paddle and will carry a load , just right for hunting and
            fishing , were there any surprises when building it , are the plans easy to
            follow , were there any places where in retrospect you could have done it
            different and saved weight ?

            By the way , your pirogue sure looks good , but damn it's long , do you
            carry it on a trailer or cartop ?

            Regards
            David Wallace

            > > I haven't yet built a Bolger design , one that interests me is the
            > > 16' Pirogue, has any one built it ?
            >
            > David, if you mean the Pirogue for which CSB provides plans I built
            > one about a dozen years ago. I stretched it to a bit over 19 ft.
            > keeping all else the same. I use it with oars, paddles, electric
            > motor and pole and it's quite stable. Pictures can be seen at
            > http://www.belljar.net/boat.htm . My wife and I use it frequently on
            > rivers, lakes and protected coastal areas.
            >
            > Steve Hansen

            01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          • Bruce Hector
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
              It's the 13' Payson Pirogue from Chapter 3 in MWAOM (that Bolger
              calls a canoe, just to make evrything clearer!) that is "obnoxiously
              tippy", even after two years of using it I have to be very careful
              with it. Getting in or out at a dock is a funny thing to watch, makes
              me look like a sea lion flooping up on a rocky shore.

              Still it looks good a\nd is a light, easy cartopper. I gues you can't
              have everything.

              Bruce Hector
              http://www.brucesboats.com
            • David & Shirley Wallace
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
                Jim

                Yeah , Id be very interested in seeing your construction photos , did you
                sheath the whole hull with fibreglass ? does the plan call for it ? I had to
                do it with the Huntyak as the ply I ordered and the stuff that arrived were
                totally different but after a two month wait for it to arrive I wasn't going
                to send it back , unfortunately it was 3 ply instead of 5 ply , and the
                outside veneers were only .5 of a mm thick but the inside core was 5mm , it
                just had no strength , so it was fibreglass all over , I had only intended
                to glass the seams up till then .

                What size sail does yours have ? I've been toying with the idea of putting a
                sail on my Huntyak and definitely putting one on the 16' pirogue if/when I
                build one , of course I'll have to learn to sail , I think a outrigger may
                be in order here , my record with sailing craft is not good so far , to date
                I've been in about a dozen small sailing vessels , mostly cats and dinghies
                but so far have never managed to get more than 50 yards from shore , I know
                nothing about sailing and so have relied on those I was with , this may have
                been a mistake because every time I'd end up with a bump on my head from the
                boom and having to swim back to shore because the damn things had turned
                over [ you know every dunking started the same way , my mate would call out
                " Hey Dave could you pass us a beer " I'd turn around to open the cooler and
                the next thing I knew was that I was in the water with a lump on my head ] ,
                I'm hoping to change my run of luck with sailing on the Huntyak and the
                pirogue as well as the 10 sailing dinghy I'm in the process of building now

                Regards

                David Wallace
                Email : swallace@...

                > I built the 16 ft Pirogue that Steve built also. There is nothing tippy
                about
                > this boat and she is very dry in rough water. Mine is rigged for sail and
                > paddle and we have enjoyed using it for two summers now. I wanted to car
                top the
                > boat but with fiberglass on it it is not a one man job to hike it up on to
                the
                > truck. We built the Pirogue as a demo at the North American Boat Show in
                > Cleveland and I have some construction photos and some on the water, if
                you are
                > interested I can e mail them to you.
                >
                > Jim

                01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              • David & Shirley Wallace
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
                  Bruce
                  Is the 13' model much different from the open canoe design in the free plan
                  section at www.bateau.com , I made up that canoe a couple of weeks ago and
                  then put a deck on it , I find it very stable as long as I don't sit more
                  than 4" above the floor , that is the cut off mark for me , I'm 6'2" and 240
                  lb and a little top heavy , more than 4" and it just too sudden

                  Regards
                  David Wallace

                  > It's the 13' Payson Pirogue from Chapter 3 in MWAOM (that Bolger
                  > calls a canoe, just to make evrything clearer!) that is "obnoxiously
                  > tippy", even after two years of using it I have to be very careful
                  > with it. Getting in or out at a dock is a funny thing to watch, makes
                  > me look like a sea lion flooping up on a rocky shore.
                  >
                  > Still it looks good a\nd is a light, easy cartopper. I gues you can't
                  > have everything.
                  >
                  > Bruce Hector
                  > http://www.brucesboats.com

                  01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                • Bruce Hector
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
                    David,

                    Do you mean this one?
                    http://www.bateau2.com/free/cheapcanoe.htm

                    If so, I'd say the bateau.com canoe looks much more stable, having a
                    flat bottom instead of the Payson Pirogue's multichine which gives
                    very little inital stability and less reserve. The effect is similar
                    to a round bottom kayak.

                    Bruce Hector

                    <swallace@c...> wrote:

                    > Bruce
                    > Is the 13' model much different from the open canoe design in the
                    free plan
                    > section at www.bateau.com , I made up that canoe a couple of weeks
                    ago and
                    > then put a deck on it , I find it very stable as long as I don't
                    sit more
                    > than 4" above the floor , that is the cut off mark for me , I'm
                    6'2" and 240
                    > lb and a little top heavy , more than 4" and it just too sudden
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > David Wallace

                    Gloucester, MA,
                    > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • pseudospark
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
                      <swallace@c...> wrote:
                      > Yeah , I think that's the one , I saw it here
                      > http://www.common-sense-boats.com/boats/Canoes_&_kayaks/pirogue.htm

                      David,

                      Yes, that is the one. I got the plans from Common Sense Designs
                      (Bernie's company) before he sold it. I'll try to answer your
                      questions.

                      No surprises at all in building. It was my first "from scratch" boat.
                      I figure at 19.5 ft. it came in at around 120 lbs or so. Needed one
                      more sheet of ply and that was about it. I don't regret building it
                      long - plenty of leg room and space for general "stuff."

                      For near half of its life I cartopped it on a Subaru wagon. Then we
                      got a van and it was just too difficult to get on the roof racks and
                      tie down. It's been on a trailer since. However, I have never put the
                      trailer into the water. I just bolt the dolly wheels on the skeg and
                      wheelbarrow it to the water. No need for two people at any stage of
                      the process.

                      I put in a rear seat as well as a forward seat plus the middle seat
                      so that added weight. Last year I sawed out the forward seat so there
                      would be a clear area to lie down in. I did have a panting problem
                      with the bottom which I solved by putting a cross member (1.5 square)
                      about half way between the middle seat and the forward bulkhead.

                      I've taken it out in choppy waters as you often see on the coastal
                      rivers and bays of Maine and it behaves quite well.

                      Steve Hansen
                    • David & Shirley Wallace
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
                        Bruce

                        If it's like a round bottom kayak then I know exactly what you mean , a
                        number of years ago a mate of mine wanted to give me his old kayak as he had
                        just got a new sea kayak , I tried to get used to it for about a month and a
                        half , I'm a big boy and just about needed a shoe horn to get in and had to
                        have help to get out , I had to give it back to him as I couldn't get 20 ft
                        with out turning over , damn near drowned too many times as I couldn't get
                        out of it when it turned over

                        David Wallace

                        > If so, I'd say the bateau.com canoe looks much more stable, having a
                        > flat bottom instead of the Payson Pirogue's multichine which gives
                        > very little inital stability and less reserve. The effect is similar
                        > to a round bottom kayak.
                        >
                        > Bruce Hector
                        >
                        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David & Shirley Wallace"
                        > <swallace@c...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Bruce
                        > > Is the 13' model much different from the open canoe design in the
                        > free plan
                        > > section at www.bateau.com , I made up that canoe a couple of weeks
                        > ago and
                        > > then put a deck on it , I find it very stable as long as I don't
                        > sit more
                        > > than 4" above the floor , that is the cut off mark for me , I'm
                        > 6'2" and 240
                        > > lb and a little top heavy , more than 4" and it just too sudden
                        > >
                        > > Regards
                        > > David Wallace

                      • Marc Paquette
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
                          wrote:
                          > Hi , I'm generally a lurker here most times , while I've built a couple of
                          > canoes I haven't yet built a Bolger design , one that interests me is the
                          > 16' Pirogue , has any one built it ?

                          I'm in the process of building it now, actually. My father and I assembled the
                          sides, bulkheads, and bottom in less than a week (about 5 out of 7 days of good
                          weather).

                          My goal is to spend $300 (CDN) and 120 hours for a completed, ready-to-float
                          hull (not including oars, paddles, or sailing rigging). So far so good.

                          > is it a stitch and glue design
                          > or a tack and tape ?

                          Tack and tape, although I'm only using epoxy for the butt joints, taping the
                          chines, and coating the hull (to prevent the fir plywood's infamous checking).
                          For other joints (bulkheads, chines, gunwales, and so on), I'm using Bulldog
                          PL400.

                          If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

                          Marc.
                        • Marc Paquette
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
                            Speaking of the CSB pirogue, what have other Pirogue builders done about her
                            rudder? The instructions and plans are vague on this crucial detail.

                            Short of biting the bullet to get manufactured gudgeons and pintles, is there any
                            other way to reliably, cheaply fasten the rudder to the stern?

                            Marc.
                          • pseudospark
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Paquette" <mapaquette@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > Short of biting the bullet to get manufactured gudgeons and
                              > pintles, is there any other way to reliably, cheaply fasten the
                              > rudder to the stern?

                              Marc, I never fitted a rudder (or sail) to my Pirogue but I did
                              fasten a pair of galvanized eye bolts to the stern. I think that's
                              an approximation of what the plans specify. I bedded them in epoxy
                              and painted them. They've seen lots of salt water (but obviously no
                              wear to speak of) and are still in good shape. I was going to use
                              stainless but I didn't want to wait to get them by mail order.

                              If I remember correctly the rudder was to have another pair of
                              eyebolts and all four were joined by a length of rod with a bend at
                              the top to keep it in place.

                              Steve Hansen
                            • David & Shirley Wallace
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
                                Steve

                                The 19.5 ft length looks good , I couldn't go that long here as the rough
                                roads would bugger it quick time with that much overhang on my trailer ,

                                Actually I have a bit of a fascination with boats of that general sort and
                                length , when I build the BK18 SOF and the 16' Pirogue that will make three
                                boats all about the same size , but I have to admit that had I seen the 16 '
                                Pirogue first I wouldn't have bothered with the Huntyak
                                Regards
                                David Wallace

                                > > Yeah , I think that's the one , I saw it here
                                > > http://www.common-sense-boats.com/boats/Canoes_&_kayaks/pirogue.htm
                                >
                                > David,
                                >
                                > Yes, that is the one. I got the plans from Common Sense Designs
                                > (Bernie's company) before he sold it. I'll try to answer your
                                > questions.
                                >
                                > No surprises at all in building. It was my first "from scratch" boat.
                                > I figure at 19.5 ft. it came in at around 120 lbs or so. Needed one
                                > more sheet of ply and that was about it. I don't regret building it
                                > long - plenty of leg room and space for general "stuff."
                                >
                                > For near half of its life I cartopped it on a Subaru wagon. Then we
                                > got a van and it was just too difficult to get on the roof racks and
                                > tie down. It's been on a trailer since. However, I have never put the
                                > trailer into the water. I just bolt the dolly wheels on the skeg and
                                > wheelbarrow it to the water. No need for two people at any stage of
                                > the process.
                                >
                                > I put in a rear seat as well as a forward seat plus the middle seat
                                > so that added weight. Last year I sawed out the forward seat so there
                                > would be a clear area to lie down in. I did have a panting problem
                                > with the bottom which I solved by putting a cross member (1.5 square)
                                > about half way between the middle seat and the forward bulkhead.
                                >
                                > I've taken it out in choppy waters as you often see on the coastal
                                > rivers and bays of Maine and it behaves quite well.
                                >
                                > Steve Hansen

                                01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                              • David & Shirley Wallace
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 24, 2003
                                  Mark

                                  Sounds great , do the plans call for sheathing the whole outside with glass
                                  or just the seams

                                  Any chance of pictures

                                  I'll be using Epoxy as the only glue when I do mine as it works out cheaper
                                  here doing that

                                  David Wallace

                                  > > Hi , I'm generally a lurker here most times , while I've built a couple
                                  of
                                  > > canoes I haven't yet built a Bolger design , one that interests me is
                                  the
                                  > > 16' Pirogue , has any one built it ?
                                  >
                                  > I'm in the process of building it now, actually. My father and I assembled
                                  the
                                  > sides, bulkheads, and bottom in less than a week (about 5 out of 7 days of
                                  good
                                  > weather).
                                  >
                                  > My goal is to spend $300 (CDN) and 120 hours for a completed,
                                  ready-to-float
                                  > hull (not including oars, paddles, or sailing rigging). So far so good.
                                  >
                                  > > is it a stitch and glue design
                                  > > or a tack and tape ?
                                  >
                                  > Tack and tape, although I'm only using epoxy for the butt joints, taping
                                  the
                                  > chines, and coating the hull (to prevent the fir plywood's infamous
                                  checking).
                                  > For other joints (bulkheads, chines, gunwales, and so on), I'm using
                                  Bulldog
                                  > PL400.
                                  >
                                  > If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
                                  >
                                  > Marc.

                                  01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                                • Marc Paquette
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 25, 2003
                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David & Shirley Wallace" <swallace@c...> wrote:

                                    > Sounds great , do the plans call for sheathing the whole outside with glass
                                    > or just the seams

                                    The plans call for building the boat as cheaply as possible, giving examples of using
                                    plastic resin glue and latex paint.

                                    This is the first boat I've ever built, and I don't intend to spend much time or money
                                    on it. If it lasts 3-4 years, I'll be happy.

                                    A couple of howevers:

                                    First however: in those 3-4 years, I want this boat to be durable, safe, and somewhat
                                    maintenance free. So I'm using epoxy on crucial joints for strength, I'll be covering
                                    the chines with epoxy and 'glass tape for abrasion resistance, and I'll be coating the
                                    interior and exterior with epoxy and porch paint to reduce maintenance time.

                                    Second however: I don't want to spend too much time or money on something that I
                                    intend to make mistakes on. If I make (and learn from!) enough mistakes, I'll have
                                    more confidence, motivation, and willingness to commit greater resources on a
                                    bigger boat. Martha Jane or AS19, perhaps. We'll see.

                                    > Any chance of pictures

                                    Yes. I've taken pictures, but haven't uploaded them yet. When I get the time. I'll keep
                                    everyone posted.

                                    Marc.
                                  • Marc Paquette
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 25, 2003
                                      Eye bolts, a rod, and some miscellaneous bits of hardware are much simpler than I
                                      anticipated.

                                      Thanks!

                                      Marc.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 25, 2003
                                        --- "Marc Paquette" <mapaquette@y...> wrote:

                                        > First however: in those 3-4 years,
                                        > I want this boat to be durable, safe, and somewhat
                                        > maintenance free.

                                        Keep it dry between uses and paint it every
                                        so often for 'maintenance'.

                                        Durable, no problem, as long as you
                                        don't drop a ton of rocks on it!

                                        Safe? I believe that 99% of 'safe'
                                        depends on one not being stupid,
                                        drunk, or both, while boating!!!
                                      • David & Shirley Wallace
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 29, 2003
                                          I used plastic paint on my Huntyak but don't think I'll use it again , for
                                          one thing it seems softer than the enamel paint and marks when I use tie
                                          down straps on it when attaching it to my trailer , I don't save any thing
                                          by buying plastic paint as it's the same price as enamel , I'm one of the
                                          worst painters in the world but for some reason I can do a better looking
                                          job with enamel than with plastic [ this isn't to say that it actually looks
                                          good , just that it looks better than the plastic ]

                                          David Wallace

                                          > > Sounds great , do the plans call for sheathing the whole outside with
                                          glass
                                          > > or just the seams
                                          >
                                          > The plans call for building the boat as cheaply as possible, giving
                                          examples of using
                                          > plastic resin glue and latex paint.
                                          >
                                          > This is the first boat I've ever built, and I don't intend to spend much
                                          time or money
                                          > on it. If it lasts 3-4 years, I'll be happy.
                                          >
                                          > A couple of howevers:
                                          >
                                          > First however: in those 3-4 years, I want this boat to be durable, safe,
                                          and somewhat
                                          > maintenance free. So I'm using epoxy on crucial joints for strength, I'll
                                          be covering
                                          > the chines with epoxy and 'glass tape for abrasion resistance, and I'll be
                                          coating the
                                          > interior and exterior with epoxy and porch paint to reduce maintenance
                                          time.

                                          > Second however: I don't want to spend too much time or money on something
                                          that I
                                          > intend to make mistakes on. If I make (and learn from!) enough mistakes,
                                          I'll have
                                          > more confidence, motivation, and willingness to commit greater resources
                                          on a
                                          > bigger boat. Martha Jane or AS19, perhaps. We'll see.
                                          >
                                          > > Any chance of pictures
                                          >
                                          > Yes. I've taken pictures, but haven't uploaded them yet. When I get the
                                          time. I'll keep
                                          > everyone posted.
                                          >
                                          > Marc.

                                          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                                        • Chuck Leinweber

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 1, 2003
                                              Chuck

                                              I think your right , I just checked again today and the paint on the Huntyak
                                              seems to be finally hardening up

                                              David Wallace