Re: Junebug - to trailer or not to trailer????

  • Jack&Lois
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
      I car topped (actually truck topped) our Junebug for years on a rack I
      built for the back of our F-150 extended cab. The rack is just an open box
      structure with corner gussets and four legs stuck in the corner wells of the
      truck box. The top of the rack is just above cab height. Originally build
      to accommodate canoes. Since then it's carried Junebug, Gypsy, and/or 2
      kayaks. Whatever you use, Junebug is always best carried right side up. You
      can launch her from car, truck, utility trailer, etc. absolutely vertically
      from a very high warf, cliff, bridge, etc. She does ride nicely in the back
      of a pickup, but even with eight feet of combined truckbed and tail gate
      you'll still have 6' of boat sticking out in the air. A pad or block secured
      to the tailgate to lift the bow a bit will rocker the stern end down nicely
      into the bed and reduce rocking while you're on the road. Tying a two way
      yoke off the bow cleat to either side of tailgate opening will also help. I
      tied the bowline to the rack I mentioned. I managed to carry Junebug, Gypsy,
      and two kayaks all at once this way. With the utility trailer attached I've
      managed to add a couple of canoes to the load (though admittedly without the
      Junebug in the back of the truck at the time - that would only work if I
      could drive from home to the shore without having to make any turns).

      jeb, eager to push away from the shores of Fundy