Instant Boat Diablo

  • Bruce Hector
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2003
      I must beg to differ, Diablo most certainly is an instant boat, and
      very suitable for the first time builder.

      She is featured in Payson's "Build The New Instant Boats" and is the
      first boat I built. Well actually we built her and a Nymph at the
      same time.

      Diablo went together easily, easier than the severe bends on the
      Nymph and nailing to Nymphs skinny little 1/4 inch frames (until I
      figured out what Dyanamite meant by adding scraps to them, she now
      has a couple of broken hockey sticks permanently bonded to all her
      frames!) We added a bow floatation chamber and a short deck to
      enclose a small gear locker.

      My Diablo "Diabla", which means "she devil" is featured at my boat
      page
      http://www.brucesboats.com

      As to her seaworthyness, that she is. But not at speed, in rough
      water or even crossing a wake at plane she'll leap right out of the
      water and come down with a jarring thump. Makes me worry about the
      strength of the 1/4" sides where they join the bottom, or at the hard
      chine. She also is sensitive to trim, especially lateral trim. With
      her flat bottom being only 2 feet wide, you've got to scrunch towards
      the centre or fly with a list. Lots of reserve stability with that
      beautiful sweeping sheer and raised stern.

      Consider the 18' Diablo Grande, built open and strong like a Tolman,
      that would be an instant boat, able to survive his eams.

      Just my two cents worths, I love my "Diabla".

      Bruce Hector