Re: Opinions, please!

  • hawkpy76
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
      David,
      Saw the pics! When I saw the title "June Bug launched" I just had
      to check them out and I'm glad I did! Beautiful location and
      fantastic photography, just a little too cold for my taste. That
      nasty white stuff is what convinced me to move to Florida many odd
      years ago!
      But now you've gone and done it....adding two more beautiful Bolger
      craft to my growing list of "I gotta have".....I'm still lusting in
      my heart over the light Schooner!
      Sam,
      I like the idea that I'll be able to cannibalize the sail from the
      Windflite to get me on the water faster and cheaper and the fact the
      Featherwind is a little beamier for the family to stretch out in.
      snip
      > I hope you saw the link to the June Bug just launch in Alaska.
      > Amazing shots of this cute little slab-sided dinghy sailing across
      > the most amazing mountain-ringed bays. The June Bug building
      > technique is better explained in the original Instant Boats, but
      it's
      > so easy, I'd bet you can figure out what your doing from N.I.B.
      >
      > Consider also:
      >
      > The Windsprint http://www.instantboats.com/windsprint.htm
      > More sprawling room than the June Bug, and to some, a little
      prettier.

      > The Zephyr http://www.instantboats.com/zephyr.htm
      > Quite a bit longer, but still light enough to put on a minivan.
      > When you see the picture of Payson sailing with medium sized kids,
      > you'll be hard pressed not to imagine yourself at the helm with
      your
      > family in the place of the kids.
      >
      > Both the Windsprint and the Zephyr have straight cut side panel,
      > making them even easier than the already ridiculously easy June Bug.
      >
      > YIBB,
      >
      > David
      >
      > --
      >
      > C.E.P.
      > 415 W.46th Street
      > New York, New York 10036
      > http://www.crumblingempire.com
      > Mobile (646) 325-8325
      > Office (212) 247-0296
    • gssparhawk
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
        Too bad that so many folks seem daunted by the idea of a small trailer. A trailer puts the boat so much closer to the ground/water. It simplifies handling somewhat in excess of the small trouble that a trailer is. Light trailers can do double duty for you. They can be used to haul those longer planks that can't be hauled by the family car, not to mention the gardening stuff and an occasional Christmas tree or alligator. they are not that hard to get used to -- as in backing etc. For the lighter craft we are considering a rather smallish trailer is sufficient and can be had for the price of a cheap weekend away from home.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
          hawkpy76 may not be daunted by the prospect of a trailer so much as he
          hasn't anywhere to keep it. And he might have the problem I had a
          week or so ago where I was unable to launch my Teal because I couldn't
          find a parking spot for a car plus trailer within reasonable distance
          of the water.... drove around for an hour & went home. A pox on
          beachfront suburbia!!
          Alan J.

          > Too bad that so many folks seem daunted by the idea of a small
          > trailer. A trailer puts the boat so much closer to the
          > ground/water.
        • Alan J.
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
            Important question Tim... how big is the Clan ? & how old ?
            And what are your local laws governing passengers per unit of boat
            volume/length ?
            Alan J.

            > Greetings to one and all! As a long time lurker to this group I've
            > finally decided to get off the pot start building something,
            > however
            > I'd like some opinions before I begin. I recently aquired a
            > Windflite
            > 14 (it's a Sunfish wannabe, made by AMF)dirt cheap at a local YMCA
            > auction and spent considerable time restoring all the woodwork but
            > the darned thing is wayyyy too heavy to try to cartop and I'm
            > trying
            > to avoid purchasing a trailer at this point in time. It's also
            > highly
            > impractical for trying to introduce my wife and daughter to the
            > joys
            > of sailing, which brings me back to constructing a boat more in
            > line
            > with my needs. I'd like something light enough to cartop on our
            > minivan, but large enough to hold the entire clan for a day of
            > bliss
            > on the water. I also haven't sailed in about 20 years, so I'm
            > pretty
            > rusty. Two designs I've been looking seriously at are the June Bug
            > and Dave Carnell's $200 sailboat (aka the Featherwind). Any
            > opinions?
            > My woodworking skills are just slightly above novice. I've already
            > purchased Building The New Instant Boats and pored over the plans
            > for
            > the June Bug but recently the $200 sailboat caught my eye and now
            > my
            > dilemma boils down to "Which one"? Any help, suggestions,
            > opinions,
            > snide comments or sarcastic remarks would be greatly appreciated.
            > Thanks in advance for your help,
            > Tim H

            > -~-->
            > Questions.http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/_0TolB/TM
            > --~->

            > posts
            > - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
            > MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Lincoln Ross
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2003
              As usual, I advocate the Brick, unless you need to row much or go fast.
              Very roomy (Bolger says 4 men and a dog, and with two large adults it
              feels half empty), fairly light (abotu 75 lbs), and very simple. I once
              gave a ride to 4 boys and it seemed like there was a bit too much room
              because they'd kind of run around. High sides to hide behind in
              waterfights. It sails surprisingly well, just not fast. Very stable.
              Only quirk I've noticed is that upwind it is slightly sensitive to fore
              and aft trim, but that's no big deal.

              >Tim H. wrote:
              >snipIt's also highly
              >impractical for trying to introduce my wife and daughter to the joys
              >of sailing, which brings me back to constructing a boat more in line
              >with my needs. I'd like something light enough to cartop on our
              >minivan, but large enough to hold the entire clan for a day of bliss
              >on the water. I also haven't sailed in about 20 years, so I'm pretty
              >rusty.

              snip