WINDERMERE,(mini progress report)

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
      Bolgerados,
      Just back from another glorious day at my all-outdoors-all-the-
      time boat shop and what a beautiful day it was!
      After laminating up the 4 layers of ply for the
      centerboard,earlier in May,I did some fairing work on it today.This
      was followed by some assembly work on one of the sides to the
      centerboard box.
      Work was briefly halted upon the arrival of Jim Pope
      (of "St.Jan the Martyr" fame and,of course,Jan herself!) who
      graciously paid a visit on their way back home. It was good to see
      Jim again since the Bolger Messabout on Lake Champlain where both
      myself and my Pesky Crew had the opportunity to go for a spin on
      Jims' Bolger power catamaran. I can still recall the smooth and
      amazing ride afforded Jims' boat as if it were yesterday!
      I showed Jim around the building site and pointed out various
      elements of WINDERMERE as they stand now.And,of course,the nasty
      business of the "bottom flip" came up. Once Jim spied a farm tractor
      with a boat trailer hooked up to her,it wasn't long before his busy
      mind was scheming up a method of flipping the bottom with the use of
      this tractor.Hmmmmm....does that mean there will be no beer party or
      beer drinkers needed for the "flip"?
      I think I'll still go for the beer party but keep the tractor
      idea as my back-up should us hail and hearty flippers become
      overwhelmed!
      Anyhow,after Jim and Jan left for South of the boarder,I
      worked on tweeking the box-keel fillet pattern and just about
      completed a wee correction to an error I made at the rear with the
      outboard cutout.No big deal really,just a reverse image thing with
      the plans and my up-side down bottom.Once the roll is finished,I'll
      post pictures of all of this over in Bolger2. Another week perhaps?!
      And,speaking of flipping, I have set a date for this event. It
      will take place on the 14th of June.This is a Saturday and a full
      moon.So........all of you maniacs who would like to come and lend
      their muscle,get to bed early on the 13th,no all night howling at the
      moon, and in the mean time pray for no rain that day! High noon will
      be the official start of the flip.Afterward,the sun may be said to be
      sufficiantly past the yard arm thus cold beverage may be
      guzzelled,sipped,slurped or however you prefer.
      Just let me know if you are coming so I can have an advance
      head count/muscle measure for the task at hand.
      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan,eager to get the bottom flipped,despite having grown
      used to seeing it up side down for so long,from along the banks of
      the St.Lawrence..........
    • dbaldnz
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
        Good to hear you are making progess Peter.
        A few questions....

        what do you think you will find underneath Windermere when you flip
        her?....family of illegal aliens, racoons, bank hold-up stash?

        The place where you are building....is it an open boatyard, space
        you rent, secure?....can't work it out.

        which Bolger power cat design are you talking about?

        Good luck with the flip. If I thought I could stomach maple-leaf
        beer, I would be there.
        Confused as ever,
        DonB

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <ellengaest@b...>
      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz" <oink@p...> wrote:
          > Good to hear you are making progess Peter.
          > A few questions....
          >
          > what do you think you will find underneath Windermere when you
          flip
          > her?....

          Pretty much what is already there; 4 bulkheads, 2
          templates,centerboard,centerboard box and stored bits of wood.Over
          the winter months, I did have a rabit renting the place for his
          family,but all he left were little piles of rabbit shit. There is
          close to 5 foot head room under the bottom,on its jig, and I
          routinely go sit underneath whenever I need shade from the sun.

          > The place where you are building....is it an open boatyard, space
          > you rent, secure?....can't work it out.

          Boat storage yard right on the St.Lawrence Seaway,several hundred
          yards upstream from the locks. Not too secure for the rent they
          charge but impossible to find anything like it on the island of
          Montreal.

          > which Bolger power cat design are you talking about?

          If my memory is not failing me, this is a small power catamaran that
          our Hero designed for Jim Pope. Jim brought her to the Bolger Lake
          Champlain Messabout a few years ago. Perhaps when Jim gets back home
          and reads this,he can more accurately reply with details.

          > Good luck with the flip. If I thought I could stomach maple-leaf
          > beer, I would be there.

          Thanks Don! It takes a special breed of man to admit he's not up to
          handling some powerful brew. We do have an advantage however and
          that is we start "acquiring" the taste and "developing" the
          tolerance for this brew at relatively young ages up here :-) Totally
          unfair to expect "foreigners" to stand up to it............Ha!

          > Confused as ever,
          > DonB

          You don't know confused until you've spent a night at the nuthouse.
          As a dear relative used to say," I am so confused,I don't know if I
          should shit or go blind". Weird,the folks who share your same
          genetic fabric.............

          Peter Lenihan, just about all done at the nuthouse and looking
          forward to bright blue big sunny skies today!