Opinions, please!

  • hawkpy76
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
      Greetings to one and all! As a long time lurker to this group I've
      finally decided to get off the pot start building something, however
      I'd like some opinions before I begin. I recently aquired a Windflite
      14 (it's a Sunfish wannabe, made by AMF)dirt cheap at a local YMCA
      auction and spent considerable time restoring all the woodwork but
      the darned thing is wayyyy too heavy to try to cartop and I'm trying
      to avoid purchasing a trailer at this point in time. It's also highly
      impractical for trying to introduce my wife and daughter to the joys
      of sailing, which brings me back to constructing a boat more in line
      with my needs. I'd like something light enough to cartop on our
      minivan, but large enough to hold the entire clan for a day of bliss
      on the water. I also haven't sailed in about 20 years, so I'm pretty
      rusty. Two designs I've been looking seriously at are the June Bug
      and Dave Carnell's $200 sailboat (aka the Featherwind). Any opinions?
      My woodworking skills are just slightly above novice. I've already
      purchased Building The New Instant Boats and pored over the plans for
      the June Bug but recently the $200 sailboat caught my eye and now my
      dilemma boils down to "Which one"? Any help, suggestions, opinions,
      snide comments or sarcastic remarks would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks in advance for your help,
      Tim H
    • Richard Spelling
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
        Cartopper
        > Greetings to one and all! As a long time lurker to this group I've
        > finally decided to get off the pot start building something, however
        > I'd like some opinions before I begin. I recently aquired a Windflite
        > 14 (it's a Sunfish wannabe, made by AMF)dirt cheap at a local YMCA
        > auction and spent considerable time restoring all the woodwork but
        > the darned thing is wayyyy too heavy to try to cartop and I'm trying
        > to avoid purchasing a trailer at this point in time. It's also highly
        > impractical for trying to introduce my wife and daughter to the joys
        > of sailing, which brings me back to constructing a boat more in line
        > with my needs. I'd like something light enough to cartop on our
        > minivan, but large enough to hold the entire clan for a day of bliss
        > on the water. I also haven't sailed in about 20 years, so I'm pretty
        > rusty. Two designs I've been looking seriously at are the June Bug
        > and Dave Carnell's $200 sailboat (aka the Featherwind). Any opinions?
        > My woodworking skills are just slightly above novice. I've already
        > purchased Building The New Instant Boats and pored over the plans for
        > the June Bug but recently the $200 sailboat caught my eye and now my
        > dilemma boils down to "Which one"? Any help, suggestions, opinions,
        > snide comments or sarcastic remarks would be greatly appreciated.
        > Thanks in advance for your help,
        > Tim H

      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
          >rusty. Two designs I've been looking seriously at are the June Bug
          >and Dave Carnell's $200 sailboat (aka the Featherwind). Any opinions?
          >My woodworking skills are just slightly above novice. I've already
          >purchased Building The New Instant Boats and pored over the plans for
          >the June Bug

          I hope you saw the link to the June Bug just launch in Alaska.
          Amazing shots of this cute little slab-sided dinghy sailing across
          the most amazing mountain-ringed bays. The June Bug building
          technique is better explained in the original Instant Boats, but it's
          so easy, I'd bet you can figure out what your doing from N.I.B.

          Consider also:

          The Windsprint http://www.instantboats.com/windsprint.htm
          More sprawling room than the June Bug, and to some, a little prettier.

          The Zephyr http://www.instantboats.com/zephyr.htm
          Quite a bit longer, but still light enough to put on a minivan.
          When you see the picture of Payson sailing with medium sized kids,
          you'll be hard pressed not to imagine yourself at the helm with your
          family in the place of the kids.

          Both the Windsprint and the Zephyr have straight cut side panel,
          making them even easier than the already ridiculously easy June Bug.

          YIBB,

          David

          --

          C.E.P.
          415 W.46th Street
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
            I'm a big fan of the Carnell boat. You could use the
            sail from the sunfish clone, which would save you a
            lot of work and expense. For a first-time builder,
            the $200 sailboat plans are a big help--very explicit.
            The only drawback is that while the boat is
            thoeretically cartoppable, it is a load. I use a
            light trailer under mine. This is a fun boat, and
            very pretty. Sam

            http://calendar.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
              --- Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@y...> wrote:

              Cartopable boat? Cartopper!

              > light trailer under mine.

              With a light trailer you could
              have a 31' folding schooner!

              Anybody reading this own one???
            • sctree
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                Either should suit your needs. However, take a close look at, and put a
                tape measure to, your roof rack. If I recall correctly Junebug's beam at
                the gunwale is 3' 6"?, while Dave's $200 Sailboat is 4' 4"? Make sure
                what you build will fit your transport.

                Rick

                hawkpy76 wrote:

                > Greetings to one and all! As a long time lurker to this group I've
                > finally decided to get off the pot start building something, however
                > I'd like some opinions before I begin. I recently aquired a Windflite
                > 14 (it's a Sunfish wannabe, made by AMF)dirt cheap at a local YMCA
                > auction and spent considerable time restoring all the woodwork but
                > the darned thing is wayyyy too heavy to try to cartop and I'm trying
                > to avoid purchasing a trailer at this point in time. It's also highly
                > impractical for trying to introduce my wife and daughter to the joys
                > of sailing, which brings me back to constructing a boat more in line
                > with my needs. I'd like something light enough to cartop on our
                > minivan, but large enough to hold the entire clan for a day of bliss
                > on the water. I also haven't sailed in about 20 years, so I'm pretty
                > rusty. Two designs I've been looking seriously at are the June Bug
                > and Dave Carnell's $200 sailboat (aka the Featherwind). Any opinions?
                > My woodworking skills are just slightly above novice. I've already
                > purchased Building The New Instant Boats and pored over the plans for
                > the June Bug but recently the $200 sailboat caught my eye and now my
                > dilemma boils down to "Which one"? Any help, suggestions, opinions,
                > snide comments or sarcastic remarks would be greatly appreciated.
                > Thanks in advance for your help,
                > Tim H
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > Click Here!
                > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065791:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=1240u9le2/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=3313099&yhad=1595055>

                > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

              • hawkpy76
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
                  David,
                  Saw the pics! When I saw the title "June Bug launched" I just had
                  to check them out and I'm glad I did! Beautiful location and
                  fantastic photography, just a little too cold for my taste. That
                  nasty white stuff is what convinced me to move to Florida many odd
                  years ago!
                  But now you've gone and done it....adding two more beautiful Bolger
                  craft to my growing list of "I gotta have".....I'm still lusting in
                  my heart over the light Schooner!
                  Sam,
                  I like the idea that I'll be able to cannibalize the sail from the
                  Windflite to get me on the water faster and cheaper and the fact the
                  Featherwind is a little beamier for the family to stretch out in.
                  snip
                  > I hope you saw the link to the June Bug just launch in Alaska.
                  > Amazing shots of this cute little slab-sided dinghy sailing across
                  > the most amazing mountain-ringed bays. The June Bug building
                  > technique is better explained in the original Instant Boats, but
                  it's
                  > so easy, I'd bet you can figure out what your doing from N.I.B.
                  >
                  > Consider also:
                  >
                  > The Windsprint http://www.instantboats.com/windsprint.htm
                  > More sprawling room than the June Bug, and to some, a little
                  prettier.

                  > The Zephyr http://www.instantboats.com/zephyr.htm
                  > Quite a bit longer, but still light enough to put on a minivan.
                  > When you see the picture of Payson sailing with medium sized kids,
                  > you'll be hard pressed not to imagine yourself at the helm with
                  your
                  > family in the place of the kids.
                  >
                  > Both the Windsprint and the Zephyr have straight cut side panel,
                  > making them even easier than the already ridiculously easy June Bug.
                  >
                  > YIBB,
                  >
                  > David
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > C.E.P.
                  > 415 W.46th Street
                  > New York, New York 10036
                  > http://www.crumblingempire.com
                  > Mobile (646) 325-8325
                  > Office (212) 247-0296
                • gssparhawk
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                    Too bad that so many folks seem daunted by the idea of a small trailer. A trailer puts the boat so much closer to the ground/water. It simplifies handling somewhat in excess of the small trouble that a trailer is. Light trailers can do double duty for you. They can be used to haul those longer planks that can't be hauled by the family car, not to mention the gardening stuff and an occasional Christmas tree or alligator. they are not that hard to get used to -- as in backing etc. For the lighter craft we are considering a rather smallish trailer is sufficient and can be had for the price of a cheap weekend away from home.
[...]

                    Bolger rules!!!

                  • Alan J.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                      hawkpy76 may not be daunted by the prospect of a trailer so much as he
                      hasn't anywhere to keep it. And he might have the problem I had a
                      week or so ago where I was unable to launch my Teal because I couldn't
                      find a parking spot for a car plus trailer within reasonable distance
                      of the water.... drove around for an hour & went home. A pox on
                      beachfront suburbia!!
                      Alan J.

                      > Too bad that so many folks seem daunted by the idea of a small
                      > trailer. A trailer puts the boat so much closer to the
                      > ground/water.
                    • Alan J.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                        Important question Tim... how big is the Clan ? & how old ?
                        And what are your local laws governing passengers per unit of boat
                        volume/length ?
                        Alan J.

                        > Greetings to one and all! As a long time lurker to this group I've
                        > finally decided to get off the pot start building something,
                        > however
                        > I'd like some opinions before I begin. I recently aquired a
                        > Windflite
                        > 14 (it's a Sunfish wannabe, made by AMF)dirt cheap at a local YMCA
                        > auction and spent considerable time restoring all the woodwork but
                        > the darned thing is wayyyy too heavy to try to cartop and I'm
                        > trying
                        > to avoid purchasing a trailer at this point in time. It's also
                        > highly
                        > impractical for trying to introduce my wife and daughter to the
                        > joys
                        > of sailing, which brings me back to constructing a boat more in
                        > line
                        > with my needs. I'd like something light enough to cartop on our
                        > minivan, but large enough to hold the entire clan for a day of
                        > bliss
                        > on the water. I also haven't sailed in about 20 years, so I'm
                        > pretty
                        > rusty. Two designs I've been looking seriously at are the June Bug
                        > and Dave Carnell's $200 sailboat (aka the Featherwind). Any
                        > opinions?
                        > My woodworking skills are just slightly above novice. I've already
                        > purchased Building The New Instant Boats and pored over the plans
                        > for
                        > the June Bug but recently the $200 sailboat caught my eye and now
                        > my
                        > dilemma boils down to "Which one"? Any help, suggestions,
                        > opinions,
                        > snide comments or sarcastic remarks would be greatly appreciated.
                        > Thanks in advance for your help,
                        > Tim H

                        > -~-->
                        > Questions.http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/_0TolB/TM
                        > --~->

                        > posts
                        > - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
                        > MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Lincoln Ross
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 3, 2003
                          As usual, I advocate the Brick, unless you need to row much or go fast.
                          Very roomy (Bolger says 4 men and a dog, and with two large adults it
                          feels half empty), fairly light (abotu 75 lbs), and very simple. I once
                          gave a ride to 4 boys and it seemed like there was a bit too much room
                          because they'd kind of run around. High sides to hide behind in
                          waterfights. It sails surprisingly well, just not fast. Very stable.
                          Only quirk I've noticed is that upwind it is slightly sensitive to fore
                          and aft trim, but that's no big deal.

                          >Tim H. wrote:
                          >snipIt's also highly
                          >impractical for trying to introduce my wife and daughter to the joys
                          >of sailing, which brings me back to constructing a boat more in line
                          >with my needs. I'd like something light enough to cartop on our
                          >minivan, but large enough to hold the entire clan for a day of bliss
                          >on the water. I also haven't sailed in about 20 years, so I'm pretty
                          >rusty.

                          snip