RE : [bolger] Re: Bolger's Sneakeasy

  • philippe peltier
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
      3 to 5 feet is perhaps huge for pond boats captains, but it's very very
      common on large lakes and at sea.. ;-)
      I remember tempests on the Leman lake near Geneva which were worth those
      you meet at open sea...

      Anyway sneakeasy is all but what you need to navigate in conditions such
      as these.. unless you like to get wet to the bones or intend to use her
      as a wave piercer ;-)
      I remember Steve Bosquette gave his one up mainly because of this, after
      brainstorming for months on a way to build a deck that would allow him
      to stay dry.

      --
      Phil.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
        >3 to 5 feet is perhaps huge for pond boats captains, but it's very very
        >common on large lakes and at sea.. ;-)

        Cheasapeake's a pretty big pond, then. 3 feet is not uncommon but 5
        feet takes a good steady 20 knot breeze for 12 to 24 hours (at a
        guess), certainly for the middle and upper Bay. I suppose there is a
        government site somewhere with average wave heights on the Chesapeake
        Bay. I think I'll go see if I can find one.

        Also, there are places where the tides and currents build up steeper,
        taller waves so it's hard to generalize over the whole Bay. I have
        never sailed around the mouth of the Potomac River but that is a
        notorious place for getting beat around in the bobble.

        And the tides vary a lot, because the Bay is so long. Some places
        have one high tide a day, some two, and Annapolis has almost no tide
        as there the old ebb and new flow overlap and tend to cancel.
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

        -- Macintosh kinda guy
        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        _________________________________
        ---
      • stephensonhw@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2003
          Phil,

          Do you mean it is not an instant boat because it is a New Instant Boat, as featured in Payson's second boatbuilding book? Because it is.

          I think a Diablo would be a lot quicker and easier to build than a Sneakeasy.

          Howard

          In a message dated Tue, 3 Jun 2003 4:24:45 PM AEST, Phil Smith <pbs@...> writes:

          >If you want Bolger's most seaworthy outboard boat I think it would be
          >either Diablo or Diablo Grande. Phil has written of his own Diablo's
          >seaworthiness in MAIB and Diablo's ability to handle bad weather and high
          >seas. Unfortunately for us inexperienced boat builders, Diablo is not an
          >"instant" boat.
        • slloyd
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2012
            wow.. has it only been 9 years? =D

            I haven't built this boat yet, but i never forgot about it. i am getting closer to it being a good time in my life to build. now have regular access to an inland lake which only sees waves as created by other boaters.

            i am pretty comfortably reading the instant book (and new instant book) and start building. but I am wondering .. how does one flip the boat over to epoxy the inside? at 26' and probably a couple hundred pounds... i will be building outside (under temporary shed, with grass under foot). so i was thinking of dropping in some 6x6 posts and then beam across the top just incase i need a hand with a lift? just a random idea.

            my other question .. do you think a sneakeasy could pull a waterski ? i read that sneakeasy is max with a 30HP motor, but maybe this is enough?

            i'm slowly getting excited to finally build. good things come to those that wait!

            slloyd

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, stephensonhw@... wrote:

            > Phil,
            >
            > Do you mean it is not an instant boat because it is a New Instant Boat, as featured in Payson's second boatbuilding book? Because it is.
            >
            > I think a Diablo would be a lot quicker and easier to build than a Sneakeasy.
            >
            > Howard
            >
            > In a message dated Tue, 3 Jun 2003 4:24:45 PM AEST, Phil Smith <pbs@...> writes:
            >
            > >If you want Bolger's most seaworthy outboard boat I think it would be
            > >either Diablo or Diablo Grande. Phil has written of his own Diablo's
            > >seaworthiness in MAIB and Diablo's ability to handle bad weather and high
            > >seas. Unfortunately for us inexperienced boat builders, Diablo is not an
            > >"instant" boat.

          • Maximo
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2012
              The flip is easy :)
              for a sneakeasy you need about 5 friends, and lots of food and drinks
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyIa2fs07WU
              Maximo
            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2012
                I lived two doors down from Fritz Funk, helped with the launching of his
                Sneakeasy, have made several trips in it before he moved it to WI. You
                are not going to tow skiers with it. 30 HP is overkill, I would put an
                18 hp max. I believe Fritz uses a 15 HP and we have cruised it with 4
                on board no problem. It is an amazing boat, no transition to plane it
                just rises up out of the water level. Chop doesn't bother it. I would
                rate the hull as easier to build than a Diablo. I personally think it is
                one of Bolger's most brilliant designs. It never ceases to amaze me how
                many people like it and then want to modify the design.

                HJ