Nymph leeboard

  • ibelucky2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
      Finally got my nymph out on the water! Everything was great - took my
      kids out one at a time, even made it back to the dock! Last trip
      back in I was letting the wind just coast me back to shore and got a
      little sidways to the beach. The toungue(?) that goes inside the
      boat cracked almost all the way through just above the rail when I
      got in close and hit some shallow water. Anybody have any thoughts
      on a better attachment method? I wasn't real happy with the leeboard
      attachment on the nymph during building but built it per plans anyway.

      Thanks for the help.

      Doug
    • Derek Waters
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
        Doug, early on I sprang the 'hook' on our Nymph's leeboard in similar
        fashion. Since we were launching and retrieving from a lee beach all the
        time I did as follows. The remains of the 'hooks' were sawn off . A couple
        of extra pieces were laminated onto the gunwale where the board rested,
        making the gunwale at that point wide enough to have a slot cut through it.
        The board passes down, daggerboard fashion, through this slot and a similar
        slotted retainer near the chine. A couple of holes through the board allow a
        stout pin to hold the board up while launching / retrieving. The lanyard for
        the pin loops over a cleat to hold the board down while tacking (it floated
        up otherwise). A kick up rudder is handy, too.
        cheers
        Derek
      • Lincoln Ross
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
          If you have a stout attachment for the board (as our Brick has) you will
          probably break the board, as we did. I think the answer is to make one
          that kicks up and don't let the boat get sideways near shore. ( I just
          made another board and resolved to be careful.)