Re: [bolger] Re: Bolger's Sneakeasy

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
      I have been holding back on this one, David pretty well covers my
      thoughts. As far as cost goes, find out what all the materials cost the
      way your going to build it, there are varying levels of materials that
      you can use. Account for every thing that you can think of and price
      those materials locally. Add 50% more if you think you did a good job,
      double it if you didn't and that might be what it costs. That is why
      nobody has given you a dollar amount, it is a big variable.

      Check out Fritz Funk's site at

      http://www.alaska.net/~fritzf/Boats/Sneakeasy/Sneakeasy.htm

      He might be able to tell you what it cost him.

      We get 70+ knot storms here and waves a lot bigger than 3-5 ft.
      Fritz doesn't go out in that.

      HJ

      David Ryan wrote:

      >>3 to 5 feet is a BIG chop.
      >>

      >3 to 5 foot chop isn't just big, it's huge. Any boat, regardless of
      >haul style, would have to be ENORMOUS to move at planing speeds
      >through seas that short and big with any degree of comfort.
      >
      >Could you sneak a Sneakeasy through seas like that at low speed?
      >Perhaps. But it's not going to be dry, easy or fun (well maybe that
      >depends on your definition of fun); and the consequences of a mistake
      >are not trivial.
      >
      >The easiest solution is build the Sneakeasy, either the flat or
      >step-hulled version. Then you can enjoy her good looks and grace
      >under pleasant conditions, and use it's high speed capacity to run
      >for home at the first sign of weather closing in.
      >
      >YIBB,
      >
      >David

    • craig o'donnell
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
        >3. This is not a boat to take out in a 5 ft. chop. I'd reckon it
        >would be pretty uncomfortable in waves more 18 inches high and
        >dangerous once you got to 3 ft, possibly less. Either plan to stay
        >home when the weather is like that, or look for a completely
        >different design.

        Most - or all - boats I own are not boats for a 5 ft chop! I am sure
        the Sneakeasy could handle a 5 ft chop but you had best go very, very
        slowly.

        Sharpies are not unseaworthy boats, but power sharpies of this sort
        are not meant for bashing through 20-30mph winds and 5 ft chop (as in
        for example today on the Chesapeake). The windage would likely get
        you before the chop did.

        The chop issue is supposed to be addressed by the "box keel version"
        which Greg Carlson built. This boat will handle rougher ("rougher"
        being in quotes, nad not meaning 5 ft chop) waters at better speed...
        it's marginally harder to build but Greg seemed to have found it
        pretty straightforward.

        I've ridden out some 2-3 foot chop in an Oldshoe. Very wet! But I
        didn't feel like the boat was going to drown me, at least not by
        sinking. I've hit a couple 5 ft "rogue chop" waves in a Ranger 23.
        Really uncomfortable. I would not want to be out in that in anything.
        All of this nasty stuff is in the mouth of the Chester River on the
        Chesapeake where current and tide can be against a 20-some mile fetch
        out of the Northwest and a lumpy, shoaling bottom to boot.
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

        -- Macintosh kinda guy
        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        _________________________________
        ---
      • philippe peltier
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
          3 to 5 feet is perhaps huge for pond boats captains, but it's very very
          common on large lakes and at sea.. ;-)
          I remember tempests on the Leman lake near Geneva which were worth those
          you meet at open sea...

          Anyway sneakeasy is all but what you need to navigate in conditions such
          as these.. unless you like to get wet to the bones or intend to use her
          as a wave piercer ;-)
          I remember Steve Bosquette gave his one up mainly because of this, after
          brainstorming for months on a way to build a deck that would allow him
          to stay dry.

          --
          Phil.

          3 to 5 foot chop isn't just big, it's huge. Any boat, regardless of
          haul style, would have to be ENORMOUS to move at planing speeds
          through seas that short and big with any degree of comfort.

          Could you sneak a Sneakeasy through seas like that at low speed?
          Perhaps. But it's not going to be dry, easy or fun (well maybe that
          depends on your definition of fun); and the consequences of a mistake
          are not trivial.

          The easiest solution is build the Sneakeasy, either the flat or
          step-hulled version. Then you can enjoy her good looks and grace
          under pleasant conditions, and use it's high speed capacity to run
          for home at the first sign of weather closing in.

          YIBB,

          David
          --

          C.E.P.
          415 W.46th Street

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          065791:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124km4b11/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitak
          enattogyo?YH=3313099&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=930893595>

          Bolger rules!!!
          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • craig o'donnell
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2003
            >3 to 5 feet is perhaps huge for pond boats captains, but it's very very
            >common on large lakes and at sea.. ;-)

            Cheasapeake's a pretty big pond, then. 3 feet is not uncommon but 5
            feet takes a good steady 20 knot breeze for 12 to 24 hours (at a
            guess), certainly for the middle and upper Bay. I suppose there is a
            government site somewhere with average wave heights on the Chesapeake
            Bay. I think I'll go see if I can find one.

            Also, there are places where the tides and currents build up steeper,
            taller waves so it's hard to generalize over the whole Bay. I have
            never sailed around the mouth of the Potomac River but that is a
            notorious place for getting beat around in the bobble.

            And the tides vary a lot, because the Bay is so long. Some places
            have one high tide a day, some two, and Annapolis has almost no tide
            as there the old ebb and new flow overlap and tend to cancel.
            --

          • stephensonhw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 3, 2003
              Phil,

              Do you mean it is not an instant boat because it is a New Instant Boat, as featured in Payson's second boatbuilding book? Because it is.

              I think a Diablo would be a lot quicker and easier to build than a Sneakeasy.

              Howard

              In a message dated Tue, 3 Jun 2003 4:24:45 PM AEST, Phil Smith <pbs@...> writes:

              >If you want Bolger's most seaworthy outboard boat I think it would be
              >either Diablo or Diablo Grande. Phil has written of his own Diablo's
              >seaworthiness in MAIB and Diablo's ability to handle bad weather and high
              >seas. Unfortunately for us inexperienced boat builders, Diablo is not an
              >"instant" boat.
            • slloyd
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2012
                wow.. has it only been 9 years? =D

                I haven't built this boat yet, but i never forgot about it. i am getting closer to it being a good time in my life to build. now have regular access to an inland lake which only sees waves as created by other boaters.

                i am pretty comfortably reading the instant book (and new instant book) and start building. but I am wondering .. how does one flip the boat over to epoxy the inside? at 26' and probably a couple hundred pounds... i will be building outside (under temporary shed, with grass under foot). so i was thinking of dropping in some 6x6 posts and then beam across the top just incase i need a hand with a lift? just a random idea.

                my other question .. do you think a sneakeasy could pull a waterski ? i read that sneakeasy is max with a 30HP motor, but maybe this is enough?

                i'm slowly getting excited to finally build. good things come to those that wait!

                slloyd

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, stephensonhw@... wrote:

                > Phil,
                >
                > Do you mean it is not an instant boat because it is a New Instant Boat, as featured in Payson's second boatbuilding book? Because it is.
                >
                > I think a Diablo would be a lot quicker and easier to build than a Sneakeasy.
                >
                > Howard
                >
                > In a message dated Tue, 3 Jun 2003 4:24:45 PM AEST, Phil Smith <pbs@...> writes:
                >
                > >If you want Bolger's most seaworthy outboard boat I think it would be
                > >either Diablo or Diablo Grande. Phil has written of his own Diablo's
                > >seaworthiness in MAIB and Diablo's ability to handle bad weather and high
                > >seas. Unfortunately for us inexperienced boat builders, Diablo is not an
                > >"instant" boat.

              • Maximo
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2012
                  The flip is easy :)
                  for a sneakeasy you need about 5 friends, and lots of food and drinks
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyIa2fs07WU
                  Maximo
                • Harry James
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 2, 2012
                    I lived two doors down from Fritz Funk, helped with the launching of his
                    Sneakeasy, have made several trips in it before he moved it to WI. You
                    are not going to tow skiers with it. 30 HP is overkill, I would put an
                    18 hp max. I believe Fritz uses a 15 HP and we have cruised it with 4
                    on board no problem. It is an amazing boat, no transition to plane it
                    just rises up out of the water level. Chop doesn't bother it. I would
                    rate the hull as easier to build than a Diablo. I personally think it is
                    one of Bolger's most brilliant designs. It never ceases to amaze me how
                    many people like it and then want to modify the design.

                    HJ