Re: Water Craft magazine & Seabird 86 article

    Message 1 of 9 , May 30 9:04 AM
      --- "prthober" <prthober@y...> wrote:

      > Water Craft (magazine) $7.95 US plus tax.

      non sequitur

      Dynamite Payson sells his book:
      _How to Build the Gloucester Gull Dory_
      for $8.95, no tax.
    • David Romasco
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30 2:35 PM
        Arf! Arf!

        David Romasco

        Message 3 of 9 , May 30 2:55 PM
          A fax I sent to Bolger (on Monday, Memorial Day) inquiring about more
          info on Seabird 86 was responded to within three minutes. Included was a
          copy of an article published in MAIB (Vol.15, No.9, Sept. 15, 1997). At
          the top of the article it says that it's from BWAOM (94), but originally
          published in Small Boat Journal, (1986). So adding the WaterCraft
          version that puts the same article in four different publications
          stretched out over 17 years....

          There is more info in the '97 MAIB article than in '94 BWAOM. I haven't
          seen the Watercraft version so don't know if it was updated any further.

          prthober wrote:

          > This is just a rant, skip it if you don't like to listen to
          > complaints.
          >
          > I finally found a copy of Water Craft here in Annapolis at Barnes &
          > Noble. $7.95 US plus tax. Cool! I thought I get to read an article
          > about a boat I have just become enamoured with. I went back out to
          > Samantha, made myself a cocktail and settled in for a good read - I
          > start reading the piece and it seems SO familiar and then I realize
          > that it is starting out with an excerpt from BWAOM, so I scan down
          > until I get to the bottom of the page - it's all regurgitation so
          > far! I flip the page and there is, what? two paragraphs telling me
          > that the awful looking pilot house version is the most handsome.
          > Argh! I feel like I REALLY got hosed. I don't know who to be pissed
          > at, Water Craft, Bolger, friends, or myself. How about none of the
          > above. I have to say that I am smiling and shaking my head as I write
          > this. It was only $8.35 US after all.
          >
          > I did enjoy Water Craft, there were several interesting articles,
          > there seems to be a bit less of the elitist attitude that you
          > encounter in Wooden Boat, after which it seems to have been patterned.
          >
          > Paul
          >
          > Aboard the Chebacco "Samantha" Eastport, MD
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065791:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164784&partid=3170658>

          > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 9 , May 30 3:06 PM
            Woof!Woof!

          • stephensonhw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 30 9:04 PM
              It seems to me that a pilothouse is for the pilot (helmsperson if you like) to stand in and steer the vessel. So it has to be quite tall and have larger forward-facing windows. It would not need to be very long. A doghouse is like a trunk cabin, but raised higher so as to give full headroom, perhaps over an engine room. Normally it would would have a steering position, so it would not need to have large forward-facin windows.

              Howard

            • stephensonhw@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 30 9:50 PM
                I meant to say that the doghouse would *not* have a steering position.

                Howard

                In a message dated Sat, 31 May 2003 1:04:46 PM AEST, stephensonhw@... writes:

                >It seems to me that a pilothouse is for the pilot (helmsperson if you like) to stand in and steer the vessel. So it has to be quite tall and have larger forward-facing windows. It would not need to be very long. A doghouse is like a trunk cabin, but raised higher so as to give full headroom, perhaps over an engine room. Normally it would would have a steering position, so it would not need to have large forward-facin windows.
                >
                >Howard
                >
                >>And my opinion, now that I see the drawing, is that it should be called
                >>a doghouse version not pilothouse. To me a pilothouse would be
                >>integrated to the interior while a doghouse sits on top of the original
                >>structure, companionway and hatch, much like a hard dodger. What do you
                >>folks say????????
                >>
                >>Rick
              • David Romasco
                Message 7 of 9 , May 31 8:00 AM
                  Having just reread the article in question, Bolger calls it a doghouse,
                  although he later mentions it as a pilothouse, so you may take your choice.
                  I believe it is clearly a doghouse as I understand the term.

                  David Romasco

                  It seems to me that a pilothouse is for the pilot (helmsperson if you like)
                  to stand in and steer the vessel. So it has to be quite tall and have larger
                  forward-facing windows. It would not need to be very long. A doghouse is
                  like a trunk cabin, but raised higher so as to give full headroom, perhaps
                  over an engine room. Normally it would would have a steering position, so it
                  would not need to have large forward-facin windows.

                  Howard

                  >And my opinion, now that I see the drawing, is that it should be called
                  >a doghouse version not pilothouse. To me a pilothouse would be
                  >integrated to the interior while a doghouse sits on top of the original
                  >structure, companionway and hatch, much like a hard dodger. What do you
                  >folks say????????
                  >
                  >Rick

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050657