Sprit Sail rig

  • honestjohn37
    Message 1 of 17 , May 29, 2003
      Hmmm...
      That didn't work, I am guessing that this group doesn't allow
      attachments to the messages, or what? On the message page, it says
      the attachment was removed from the message. I'll try to make a photo
      folder later, but for now, I've still got kwerstions. I stepped the
      mast and laced the sail to it. Then I fitted the sprit into the
      pocket in the peak of the sail. Then I fitted the snotter. Fine so
      far. Now I'm left with a rope about 30 ft. long with a block tied
      into the middle (15' tied to one side of the block, 15' to the other.
      On one 15' piece, there is a loose block. They must have something to
      do with the connection between the clew and the traveller, but I can't
      quite see how. The other 15' end I've run diagonally from the clew
      through the wheel at the masthead and on down to a belaying pin at the
      foot of the mast. There is no sheet or halyard attached to the sprit,
      I guess it just follows the sail if I hoist the sheet running from
      masthead to clew. What would normally be the connection to the
      traveller, a block or a simple clip-on hook that runs metal to meatl
      on the wire traveller? I've got some fairly good pics, but I can't
      figure out how to send them to the group (the e-mail I regisered with
      is a Hotmail account). Could I send them to someone's e-mail account
      who could then up?
      Thanks very much everyone for your replies. It's 25 degrees C here
      today, and I'm going crazy trying to get on the water.
      Honest John
    • craig o'donnell
      Message 2 of 17 , May 29, 2003
        I've got some fairly good pics, but I can't
        >figure out how to send them to the group (the e-mail I regisered with
        >is a Hotmail account). Could I send them to someone's e-mail account
        >who could then up?
        >Thanks very much everyone for your replies. It's 25 degrees C here
        >today, and I'm going crazy trying to get on the water.
        >Honest John

        Sure, send 'em to me.
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

        -- Macintosh kinda guy
        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        _________________________________
        ---
      • craig o'donnell
        Message 3 of 17 , May 29, 2003
          >Then I fitted the sprit into the
          >pocket in the peak of the sail. Then I fitted the snotter. Fine so
          >far. Now I'm left with a rope about 30 ft. long with a block tied
          >into the middle (15' tied to one side of the block, 15' to the other.

          I'm a little confused. Is this two 15ft pieces?

          Does the block have a becket (a bracket below the wheel, on the
          opposite side from the shackle or bail).

          >On one 15' piece, there is a loose block. They must have something to
          >do with the connection between the clew and the traveller, but I can't
          >quite see how. The other 15' end I've run diagonally from the clew
          >through the wheel at the masthead and on down to a belaying pin at the
          >foot of the mast. There is no sheet or halyard attached to the sprit,

          Well, this is almost certainly wrong if I'm understanding correctly.
          Your halyard should be a simple piece of rope, tied to the head of
          the sail, running down in front of the mast or on the side away from
          the sprit, to a belaying pin.

          The other belaying pin is probably for the downhaul - a short line
          from the tack (fore. lower corner) grommet to the pin.

          >I guess it just follows the sail if I hoist the sheet running from
          >masthead to clew.

          The sheet is attached to the back end of the sail and it's what you
          pull on. The clew is the technical name for the attachment.

          Look here for a simple rig with explanations:

          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/cranks/dinghy/dinghy_rig.html

          Message 4 of 17 , May 29, 2003
            Look also here for introductory material (sure it's 1905, but not
            that much has changed)

            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/kenealy/kenealy0.html

            Message 5 of 17 , May 29, 2003
              Craig, Thanks very much for your replies. Yes, the longest rope
              consists of two halves each tied to opposite ends of a single block.
              One of the halves runs through the eye of one end of a block which can
              slide all along that half. I've tried now to upload pics to a new
              folder. A message tells me that even the first pic is too big for the
              size allotted for this group. So much for that. I wanted to send an
              e-mail to you directly as you had indicated I could, but the Yahoo
              message system doesn't show your complete e-mail address; only to the
              first letter after the '@' sign. If I try to send the pics via Yahoo,
              it says even one pic is too big. What do others do? If I could send
              you a normal e-mail with the pics attached I would, but it won't work
              via Yahoo. Grrr. :o(
              John

            • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 1, 2003
                That's a lug rig, Craig. ;o)

                Snotter: Some sprit-rigged boats had a simple loop around the mast that the
                heel of the sprit fit into, sounds like John's got something like that. To
                adjust the sprit, the loop was pushed up or down the mast. To keep the loop
                from slipping on the mast it was kept damp.

                A good kind of lacing to use is what's called "forth and back", where the
                lacing line goes through a particular sail grommet and then comes back
                around the same side of the mast. This kind of lacing doesn't jam when you
                raise or lower the sail. Don't lace the sail tightly to the mast, it'll work
                better a little loose.

                Here's a sketch of forth and back lacing. Does your snotter look something
                like this, John?

                http://www.boat-links.com/images/SpritsailLacing.gif

                On Thu, 29 May 2003 17:41:47 -0400, Craig wrote:
                > >Then I fitted the sprit into the
                > >pocket in the peak of the sail. Then I fitted the snotter. Fine so
                > >far.
                > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/cranks/dinghy/dinghy_rig.html

                --
                John <jkohnen@...>
                http://www.boat-links.com/
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 1, 2003
                  >That's a lug rig, Craig. ;o)

                  What's a lug rig got to do with it? The web page I'm referring to has
                  the names the bits and pieces of a small boat rig (Tack, Clew, Sheet,
                  Halyard, whatnot).

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 2, 2003
                    John and Craig,
                    Yes, you guys have got it right. The snotter is as your drawing
                    shows, the sprit is turned down to a smaller diameter at the end, and
                    the snotter has a braided loop that just fits in that loop. And Dr.
                    Craig, yes, there is a jib. I was waiting to spring that one on you,
                    but hadn't had the nerve yet. But now the snotter's out of the
                    scupper or whatever(what?), so the final mystery of the rig must be
                    addressed. If I assume that:
                    1.)the sheave-wheel in the mast is for the (loosely laced)mainsail
                    halyard, and
                    2.) the block at the masthead is for the jib halyard,
                    3.) another block would be required for the theoretically possible
                    brailing line. A local here told me that there should be a halyard
                    from the masthead to the peak-end of the sprit with which the sprit is
                    pulled up to the mast, but he had never seen the connection from the
                    masthead to the clew. He used the word 'wrong' for that. It would
                    seem that where I tie the sprit halyard off would be somewhat
                    academic, there are a couple of loose wooden cleats which I haven't
                    been able to find the proper place for yet, which will serve nicely. I
                    don't think any fairleads were used.
                    So professors, does that sound somewhat sensible? Now, what about
                    reefing?......
                    appreciatively yours,
                    John Mann

                  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 2, 2003
                      I think we're getting close. I've never heard of a line from the peak end of
                      the sprit to the masthead, and it doesn't sound like it'd be very practical.
                      Your local source may have given you a garbled description of a brail. You
                      may not have a brail now, it's awfully handy, but lots of traditional sprit
                      rigs didn't have one. Don't worry about that now.

                      To reduce sail in a blow, remove the sprit and lash the peak of the sail to
                      the tack (or just let it blow out to leeward). This is called
                      "scandalizing". You may not be able to get to windward with a scandalized
                      sail, but it'll work well enough on other points.

                      Now it's time for some of the finer points. The throat of the sail should be
                      fastened to the mast with a loop of strong line, this loop is under a lot of
                      strain from the sprit. The forth and back lacing will start at the next
                      grommet down. I use an "English Knot" on the throat loop, since it's strong,
                      secure and easy to adjust.

                      Secure the tack downhaul and tighten the halyard to make the luff taut (even
                      if you never lower the sail, the halyard is used to adjust the luff tension,
                      without it you could use an adjustable tack downhaul). Install the sprit,
                      then pull in the sheet until the boat wants to sail away (maybe with the
                      trailer? <g>) and then peak the sprit up until the wrinkles that run from
                      throat to clew just go away. Adjust the luff lacing (I use a stopper knot on
                      each end) so that the slack is just taken up, but not so tight that the
                      lacing pulls the luff closer to the mast. The sail will set better if the
                      lacing isn't too tight.

                      When sailing, the harder the wind blows, the tighter you want the luff
                      tension and the harder you want to peak the sprit up (watch for those
                      wrinkles from throat to clew), the lighter the wind, the slacker you want
                      the luff and sprit. On my boat I've got the tack downhaul and snotter led
                      back to near the helm so I can adjust the sail easily, but that's not
                      "traditional".

                      If you want to rig a brail, measure the head of the sail, then measure down
                      the leech that same distance and install a grommet. The brail should be a
                      light, slippery line, I'm using 1/8" braided dacron (again, not
                      traditional). I seized a small block to the side of the throat loop opposite
                      the knot. On the other side, I loosened the English Knot and threaded the
                      end of the brail through the center of the knot and put a stopper knot in
                      the end of it (of course there are other ways to do all this, this is just
                      what I've done). The brail goes from the knot side of the loop, throught the
                      grommet on the leech, up the other side and through the block, then down.
                      It's a good idea to seize a small ring onto the luff lacing about halfway
                      down the mast to run the brail through to keep it from flying around in the
                      breeze.

                      Here's a sketch of how I've got my brail rigged:

                      http://www.boat-links.com/images/Brail.gif

                      And here's something that probably looks a lot like your boat will when you
                      get it all rigged :o)

                      http://www.boat-links.com/images/Klitmoller.gif

                      On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 12:20:42 -0000, Honest John wrote:
                      > John and Craig,
                      > Yes, you guys have got it right. The snotter is as your drawing
                      > shows, the sprit is turned down to a smaller diameter at the end, and
                      > the snotter has a braided loop that just fits in that loop. And Dr.
                      > Craig, yes, there is a jib. I was waiting to spring that one on you,
                      > but hadn't had the nerve yet. But now the snotter's out of the
                      > scupper or whatever(what?), so the final mystery of the rig must be
                      > addressed. If I assume that:
                      > 1.)the sheave-wheel in the mast is for the (loosely laced)mainsail
                      > halyard, and
                      > 2.) the block at the masthead is for the jib halyard,
                      > 3.) another block would be required for the theoretically possible
                      > brailing line. A local here told me that there should be a halyard
                      > from the masthead to the peak-end of the sprit with which the sprit is
                      > pulled up to the mast, but he had never seen the connection from the
                      > masthead to the clew. He used the word 'wrong' for that. It would
                      > seem that where I tie the sprit halyard off would be somewhat
                      > academic, there are a couple of loose wooden cleats which I haven't
                      > been able to find the proper place for yet, which will serve nicely. I
                      > don't think any fairleads were used.
                      > So professors, does that sound somewhat sensible? Now, what about
                      > reefing?......
                      > appreciatively yours,
                      > > http://www.boat-links.com/images/SpritsailLacing.gif

                      --
                      John <jkohnen@...>
                      http://www.boat-links.com/
                      I cannot help thinking that the people with motor boats miss a great deal.
                      If they would only keep to rowboats or canoes, and use oar or paddle...
                      they would get infinitely more benefit than by having their work done for
                      them by gasoline. <Theodore Roosevelt>
                    • craig o'donnell
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 2, 2003
                        >3.) another block would be required for the theoretically possible
                        >brailing line. A local here told me that there should be a halyard
                        >from the masthead to the peak-end of the sprit with which the sprit is
                        >pulled up to the mast, but he had never seen the connection from the
                        >masthead to the clew. He used the word 'wrong' for that. It would
                        >seem that where I tie the sprit halyard off would be somewhat
                        >academic, there are a couple of loose wooden cleats which I haven't
                        >been able to find the proper place for yet, which will serve nicely. I
                        >don't think any fairleads were used.

                        Yes. There are 3 ways to rig a brail that I know of.

                        1. A line to the peak (top) of the sprit to pull it to the mast, or
                        some point on the sprit itself.

                        2. A line, as John K has described, which starts at the masthead,
                        runs through the leech of the sail a ways down (through a grommet or
                        block or something), runs to a masthead pulley, and down to the deck.
                        This gathers both sail and sprit.

                        3. The line from masthead to the clew has been used on Delaware
                        Duckers, but the Duckers have a boom. This brails the sail by pulling
                        the aft end of the boom upward, etc. I don't see why this would not
                        work on a boomless sail but the resulting bundle would not be very
                        neat.

                        Reefing, well, are there any lines of reef nettles or grommets?

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 3, 2003
                          A veritable goldmine of knowledge in this group, and such nice,
                          helpful people as well, it's an oasis of friendship in a world of
                          conflict. Thank you all and especially Craig and John for your time
                          and efforts in the cause of just fooling around; (but doing so
                          properly). Your diagrams are printed out and sealed in plastic and
                          placed on the thwarts as I work on the rig. I study them like an
                          art-forger studies a Rembrandt. Now, in answer to Craigs last, 'no',
                          there are no reefing points or grommets on the sail for that reefing
                          procedure. Perhaps the scandlising technique is the most viable.
                          Also, my Danish source named a top sail that was also sometimes used,
                          would that entail a movable spar or would it rig to a spar lashed
                          firmly to the masthead? It would surely look fine, but is probably a
                          bit 'over the top', so to speak.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 3, 2003
                            >Also, my Danish source named a top sail that was also sometimes used,
                            >would that entail a movable spar or would it rig to a spar lashed
                            >firmly to the masthead? It would surely look fine, but is probably a
                            >bit 'over the top', so to speak.

                            Probably a spar lashed vertically to the mast but I can't be sure. I
                            think John Leather's SPRITSAILS AND LUGSAILS has a drawing of this
                            boat.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 4, 2003
                              Thanks Craig,
                              The book you mention is out of print, but through Amazon I found one
                              used; $70.00! I'm hoping for lots of good info. After this summer,
                              I'm shipping this little 'jolle' to the Sand Francisco bay area where
                              I hope to have lots of fun with it. I wonder if there will be many of
                              its type on the bay.
                              Honest John

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 4, 2003
                                There's lots of good info in Leather's book, alright (I sure wish I'd bought
                                it back when it was in print!), but I don't recall if there are any
                                specifics for Danish boats. You won't regret getting the book, anyway.

                                It looks like there were two ways of rigging a topsail for small Danish
                                boats: A lug topsail apparently hoisted with a halyard to a topmast fitted
                                through a spectacle iron at the masthead and with the heel fastened somehow
                                to a fitting on the forward side of the mast:

                                http://www.boat-links.com/images/Odin.gif

                                Or a jib-headed topsail, probably permanently laced to the topmast, probably
                                hoisted with a halyard through a hole in the masthead, with the heel lashed
                                to the mast:

                                http://www.boat-links.com/images/Snekkerston.gif

                                I'd go with the latter and, indeed, I'm probably going to make a similar
                                setup for my boat someday, because it's a slug in light breezes. In both
                                cases, the topsail sheet would go through a hole in the peak of the sprit,
                                or a small block or fairlead mounted there, and back to a cleat near the
                                heel of the sprit.

                                Here are some pictures of Danish spritsail boats to give you inspiration.
                                All the illustrations are from an English translation of a work by Christien
                                Nielsen, published in the US of A by Int'l Marine as Wooden Boat Designs.
                                Unfortunately, Nielsen doesn't go into the details of the rigging of the
                                boats. :o(

                                http://www.boat-links.com/images/Odin-1.jpg

                                http://www.boat-links.com/images/Odin-2.jpg

                                http://www.boat-links.com/images/Snekkerston.gif

                                I'd guess that your boat might be unique on SF Bay, but there are lots of
                                strange and exotic boats down there, so don't be surprised to find a Danish
                                Jolle club there! ;o) Where and when was your boat built? Maybe I can find
                                something about the type in Nielsen's book.

                                --
                                John <jkohnen@...>
                                http://www.boat-links.com/
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 5, 2003
                                  >I'd go with the latter and, indeed, I'm probably going to make a similar
                                  >setup for my boat someday, because it's a slug in light breezes. In both
                                  >cases, the topsail sheet would go through a hole in the peak of the sprit,
                                  >or a small block or fairlead mounted there, and back to a cleat near the
                                  >heel of the sprit.

                                  Fishing boats in North Carolina used a topsail over spritsail as part
                                  of the normal rig; they had long poles on which the topsail was tied,
                                  and then the poles were lashed to the mast. I don't have much more
                                  detail than this however.

                                  The Cheap Pages (somewhere - use the search function) have a link to
                                  Conor O'Brien's simplified gaff-topsail, which may be adaptable to a
                                  spritsail with a little thought. His point is that the topsail must
                                  be attached and raised with the main down - as opposed to the big
                                  boat style of sending the topsail "up". This is sensible on a small
                                  boat or one without a host of burly fishermen on board to do all this
                                  "rig"amarole and amounts to reefing before leaving the beach or dock.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 6, 2003
                                    Not all that long ago (#157) Wooden Boat ran an article by William Garden
                                    about the topsail he rigged up for his peapod. The topsail is permanantly
                                    laced to a "jackyard" that is hoisted with a halyard through a bee-hole in
                                    the masthead, the jackyard extends far enough below where the halyard is
                                    connected so that it can be lashed to the sprit, near the mast. The topsail
                                    sheet goes through a bee-hole in the peak end of the sprit and back to a
                                    cleat near the heel of the sprit. Garden, no longer a young man, raises and
                                    lowers the topsail while afloat, though I'd want to have lots of practice
                                    doing the chore on the beach before attempting it while sailing. This is the
                                    setup I'm going to use on my skiff someday (I've got the hole in the
                                    masthead drilled anyway!). Here's a pic of Garden's peapod:

                                    http://www.boat-links.com/images/GardenTopsail.jpg

                                    On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 08:39:52 -0400, COD wrote:
                                    > Fishing boats in North Carolina used a topsail over spritsail as part
                                    > of the normal rig; they had long poles on which the topsail was tied,
                                    > and then the poles were lashed to the mast. I don't have much more
                                    > detail than this however.
                                    >
                                    > The Cheap Pages (somewhere - use the search function) have a link to
                                    > Conor O'Brien's simplified gaff-topsail, which may be adaptable to a
                                    > spritsail with a little thought. His point is that the topsail must
                                    > be attached and raised with the main down - as opposed to the big
                                    > boat style of sending the topsail "up". This is sensible on a small
                                    > boat or one without a host of burly fishermen on board to do all this
                                    > "rig"amarole and amounts to reefing before leaving the beach or dock.

                                    --
                                    John <jkohnen@...>
                                    http://www.boat-links.com/
                                    A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.
                                    <Lord Peter Wimsey>
                                  • craig o'donnell
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 7, 2003
                                      >Not all that long ago (#157) Wooden Boat ran an article by William Garden
                                      >about the topsail he rigged up for his peapod. The topsail is permanantly
                                      >laced to a "jackyard" that is hoisted with a halyard through a bee-hole in
                                      >the masthead, the jackyard extends far enough below where the halyard is
                                      >connected so that it can be lashed to the sprit, near the mast. The topsail
                                      >sheet goes through a bee-hole in the peak end of the sprit and back to a
                                      >cleat near the heel of the sprit.

                                      Ah, right. I remember thinking it was a really swell writeup.