Re: New Poll on Delamination

  • Bruce Hector
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2003
      My problem has not been the epoxy de-laminating from the wood.
      Rather, the plys of the plywood (when I used cheap "mahogany" (Yeah,
      right!) doorskins with outer plys at thin as frog's hair and a
      mystery meat, pithy centre core. After a year, the thin outer ply is
      splitting form the mushy centre core all over, most nortably at edges
      like the gunwales.

      No such problem has been seen ny me anywhere on my boats since I
      started dropping the coin for marine ply.

      The lesson I've learned, is that the additional bucks for the marine
      ply, far outweigh the heartache, extra work, and expense of trying to
      make the crappy stuff last. By the time you epoxy coat everything,
      you've spend the same ammount as if you'd bought marine in the first
      place. Then two seasons later you're spending more time and $$$
      injecting more epoxy into the splits and gaps, clamping and waiting,
      spraying truck bed liner goop along the edge in a vain attempt to
      make this crud waterproof, wasting beer money that could be spend on
      buying beer for cruising, not boat reapairing.

      If you see any of my early boats for sale (my Nymph, Diablo, or
      Pirogue) don't bid on them, they're all the frog's hair sandwich
      plywood. All my boats since contain nothing but marine ply.

      Bruce Hector