Re: [bolger] Re: God Be With Me, For Today I Read Directions

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 16 , May 19 9:03 AM
      We are trying for a first class finish on one of the Glouchester Gulls
      we are building. Epoxy over fiberglas requires a lot of effort to get a
      super smooth finish on so you can get that wet look on the finish coat
      of paint. After cutting out the side panels and sanding the butt joint
      smooth, we laid fiberglas on and after the epoxy kicked a bit to tack it
      on, spread out a thick layer of epoxy and let mean old Mr. Gravity do
      his work leveling it out on the flat surface. We let the first coat of
      epoxy kick a bit to hold the fiberglas down as it will float. The West
      system manual calls this Flo Coating.

      After the epoxy had set up enough to not flow any more, I raised the
      middles up a foot or two because I was worried about bending the sides.
      After the epoxy had set up Mary Ann (it's her boat) used an inline air
      sander and sanded the sides while they lay flat. They came out looking
      good, and bent on the form easily.

      I believe Vince Chew has done something similar in his Dakota building.

      HJ