Teal Buttstrapping

  • choochawaga
    Message 1 of 24 , May 18, 2003
      So, I already have the inside and outside of the four joints
      connected with 4 oz fiberglass cloth and West System. And I'm also
      going to fiberglass and West System the whole outside of the boat,
      sides and bottom. If I'm doing all that can I skip the buttstraps?

      The buttstraps are just for reinforcement?
      They are not going to be used for backing plates for something to be
      screwed or nailed into and serve as stress absorbers?
    • choochawaga
      Message 2 of 24 , May 18, 2003
        Also, I just saw that there is buttstrapping for the two bottom
        joints. I only have one joint because of utilizing the bottom from
        the Freatherwind that I was building. If that bottom joint is
        already 4 oz fiberglassed connected with West System inside and out
        and will have another treatment of 4 oz fiberglass cloth and West
        System on the outside will I be able to skip the buttstrapping on the
        one bottom joint that I do have?

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "choochawaga" <soulinvictus@c...>
        wrote:
        > So, I already have the inside and outside of the four joints
        > connected with 4 oz fiberglass cloth and West System. And I'm
        also
        > going to fiberglass and West System the whole outside of the boat,
        > sides and bottom. If I'm doing all that can I skip the buttstraps?
        >
        > The buttstraps are just for reinforcement?
        > They are not going to be used for backing plates for something to
        be
        > screwed or nailed into and serve as stress absorbers?
      • sctree
        Message 3 of 24 , May 18, 2003
          Plywood buttstraps are the quick and easy way to end join two panels of
          plywood using scraps of the same plywood. They go inside the panels, to
          be inside the boat. Sometimes they are used as areas to attach other
          stuff. Using epoxy and cloth buttstraps inside and outside is a more
          labor and material intensive way of joining two panels. Some like the
          looks of ply buttblocks (like me), others want a "smoother" look. Either
          way, the ultimate test is does the finished panel flex evenly like a
          plain piece of the same plywood without snapping at the joint (or
          showing a hard spot).

          So go flex yours (gently at first), see how they bend. You can always
          add an additional layer of epoxied cloth if the joint seems weak. If the
          epoxy has cured and your adding more, first scrub with a Scotchbrite
          type pad while running clean water over the surface to eliminate the
          amine blush, then wait until it air dries. Others might say sand it for
          better adhesion, which is probably unnecessary, but even if you do, wash
          off the anmine blush first.

          And post some photos!!!!!!!!

          Rick

          choochawaga wrote:

          > So, I already have the inside and outside of the four joints
          > connected with 4 oz fiberglass cloth and West System. And I'm also
          > going to fiberglass and West System the whole outside of the boat,
          > sides and bottom. If I'm doing all that can I skip the buttstraps?
          >
          > The buttstraps are just for reinforcement?
          > They are not going to be used for backing plates for something to be
          > screwed or nailed into and serve as stress absorbers?

        • jakeman19652002
          Message 4 of 24 , May 18, 2003
            that is the best place to eliminate the buttstrap. but I would add
            another layer of glass tape
            J.
            wrote:

            > Also, I just saw that there is buttstrapping for the two bottom
            > joints. I only have one joint because of utilizing the bottom from
            > the Freatherwind that I was building. If that bottom joint is
            > already 4 oz fiberglassed connected with West System inside and out
            > and will have another treatment of 4 oz fiberglass cloth and West
            > System on the outside will I be able to skip the buttstrapping on
            the
            > one bottom joint that I do have?
            >

            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "choochawaga" <soulinvictus@c...>
            > wrote:
            > > So, I already have the inside and outside of the four joints
            > > connected with 4 oz fiberglass cloth and West System. And I'm
            > also
            > > going to fiberglass and West System the whole outside of the
            boat,
            > > sides and bottom. If I'm doing all that can I skip the
            buttstraps?

            > > The buttstraps are just for reinforcement?
            > > They are not going to be used for backing plates for something to
            > be
            > > screwed or nailed into and serve as stress absorbers?
          • Harry James
            Message 5 of 24 , May 18, 2003
              I should have read further before reading the replying to the previous
              post. What you have done is called a Payson butt joint as he is one of
              the people who have popularized it. You use it in place of plywood back
              up on butt joints. As the plywood gets thicker you need more layers of
              cloth. One of the keys to fiberglas and epoxy stinking to wood is to
              make sure the weave is filled.

              HJ

              choochawaga wrote:

              >So, I already have the inside and outside of the four joints
              >connected with 4 oz fiberglass cloth and West System. And I'm also
              >going to fiberglass and West System the whole outside of the boat,
              >sides and bottom. If I'm doing all that can I skip the buttstraps?
              >
              >The buttstraps are just for reinforcement?
              >They are not going to be used for backing plates for something to be
              >screwed or nailed into and serve as stress absorbers?

            • RDChamberland
              Message 6 of 24 , May 18, 2003
                Disregarding all the structural foofarah, the buttstraps on the Teal
                have a function in the construction of the craft. The temporary frames
                are held in place by the (accurately placed) buttstraps. The frames
                define the shape of the hull. If you delete the buttstraps you need
                some other structures to keep the frames in place.
                Bob Chamberland

                Message 7 of 24 , May 18, 2003
                  Oh my God.

                  Thorazine, please.

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 18, 2003
                    Oh.
                    I didn't know that this was thing Payson did.
                    I just did it.
                    So what are saying, I don't have to have wood buttstraps?

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@p...> wrote:
                    > I should have read further before reading the replying to the
                    previous
                    > post. What you have done is called a Payson butt joint as he is one
                    of
                    > the people who have popularized it. You use it in place of plywood
                    back
                    > up on butt joints. As the plywood gets thicker you need more layers
                    of
                    > cloth. One of the keys to fiberglas and epoxy stinking to wood is
                    > make sure the weave is filled.
                    >
                    > HJ
                    >
                    > choochawaga wrote:
                    >
                    > >So, I already have the inside and outside of the four joints
                    > >connected with 4 oz fiberglass cloth and West System. And I'm
                    also
                    > >going to fiberglass and West System the whole outside of the boat,
                    > >sides and bottom. If I'm doing all that can I skip the buttstraps?
                    > >
                    > >The buttstraps are just for reinforcement?
                    > >They are not going to be used for backing plates for something to
                    be
                    > >screwed or nailed into and serve as stress absorbers?

                  • dbaldnz
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 18, 2003
                      I wouldn't have thought it possible to have 2000 posts on Teal
                      buttstraps, but there you go! :-)
                      DonB

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 18, 2003
                        dbaldnz wrote:

                        > I wouldn't have thought it possible to have 2000 posts on Teal
                        > buttstraps, but there you go! :-)
                        > DonB

                        Yup, by now coulda built one!

                        Rick
                      • Mark A.
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 19, 2003
                          Need to be real specific in this thread.
                          How 'bout some _temporary cleats_ lined up just where the proper buttstrap edge would be?

                          Mark

                          RDChamberland wrote:

                          > Disregarding all the structural foofarah, the buttstraps on the Teal
                          > have a function in the construction of the craft. The temporary frames
                          > are held in place by the (accurately placed) buttstraps. The frames
                          > define the shape of the hull. If you delete the buttstraps you need
                          > some other structures to keep the frames in place.
                          > Bob Chamberland
                        • Peter Lenihan
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 19, 2003
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz" <oink@p...> wrote:
                            > I wouldn't have thought it possible to have 2000 posts on Teal
                            > buttstraps, but there you go! :-)
                            > DonB

                            Don,
                            The possiblilties are endless! Just wait until the postings about
                            the stem(s) and their angles.....heeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa! ;-)

                            Peter Lenihan
                          • David Romasco
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 19, 2003
                              Not to mention the oarlock quandary!

                              David Romasco

                              > I wouldn't have thought it possible to have 2000 posts on Teal
                              > buttstraps, but there you go! :-)
                              > DonB

                              Don,
                              The possiblilties are endless! Just wait until the postings about
                              the stem(s) and their angles.....heeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa! ;-)

                              Peter Lenihan

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050657
                              91:HM/A=1564415/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164784&partid=317
                              0658>

                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupmai
                              l/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=374211360>

                              Bolger rules!!!
                              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                            • Peter Lenihan
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 19, 2003
                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, sctree <sctree@d...> wrote:

                                > Yup, by now coulda built one!
                                >
                                > Rick

                                Waddya mean ONE .......:-)......several dozen and a 4 colour brochure
                                to accompany that crate of butt-straps, or at least I would certainly
                                go for the brochure with scantly clad models,à la "Price is
                                Right",languishing with half closed "come hither" eyes over a pile of
                                butt-straps....hmmmmmm......gotta be careful with my choice of
                                words,butt?.....straps?.........look out sailor!!!

                                Sincerely,
                                Peter Lenihan,...............along the shores of the St.Lawrence.....
                              • a & a julian
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 19, 2003
                                  What oarlock quandary?! Did I fail to agonise over something?
                                  cheers
                                  Alan J.
                                  (it's nice to 'talk' Bolger boats to people who understand.....)

                                  From: Peter Lenihan [mailto:ellengaest@...]

                                  The possiblilties are endless! Just wait until the postings about
                                  the stem(s) and their angles.....heeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa! ;-)
                                • pvanderwaart
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 19, 2003
                                    > Not to mention the oarlock quandary!
                                    > What oarlock quandary?! Did I fail to agonise over something?

                                    I have not been able to rediscover the web site, but recently I was
                                    reading online about a small boat crossing of the Atlantic. This was
                                    possibly the voyage of Norman & Thomas in the Little Western in 1880-
                                    81. The list of supplies included something like 175 thole pins.

                                    I would have though that if breakages were that common, they might
                                    have changed to a sturdier size.

                                    Peter
                                  • David Romasco
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 19, 2003
                                      Where should they be located? Angled or vertical? Ring or horned? Captive
                                      or removable? If horned, should they be Bolger's asymmetric pattern? Or...
                                      should thole pins and a grommet be used instead? Arrggghhhhh!

                                      Did I mention oar length? Handle type? Tip protection? Or........

                                      David "So many opportunities, so little common sense" Romasco

                                      The possiblilties are endless! Just wait until the postings about
                                      the stem(s) and their angles.....heeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa! ;-)

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_autos/101_v3_rsh_lrec_1_main.j
                                      pg>

                                      <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_autos/101_v3_rsh_lrec_1_logo.g
                                      if>
                                      ------- - Make - Acura AM General Aston Martin Audi Bentley BMW Buick
                                      Cadillac Chevrolet Chevrolet Truck Chrysler Daewoo Dodge Dodge Truck Ferrari
                                      Ford Ford Truck GMC GMC Truck Honda Hyundai Infiniti Isuzu Jaguar Jeep Kia
                                      Lamborghini Land Rover Lexus Lincoln Lotus Mazda Mazda Truck Mercedes-Benz
                                      Mercury Mitsubishi Nissan Nissan Truck Oldsmobile Plymouth Pontiac Porsche
                                      Rolls-Royce Saab Saturn Subaru Suzuki Toyota Toyota Truck Volkswagen Volvo

                                      - Model - - Please Select a Make -
                                      Zip:

                                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=253834.3292405.4586198.1261774/D=egroupmai
                                      l/S=:HM/A=1426302/rand=709210848>

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 19, 2003
                                        Speaking of Oarlocks, anybody got a good source for them in the Pacific
                                        NW? Near as I can figure we need about 18 of them. We need the ones that
                                        go vertically into the rail not bolt on the sides.

                                        HJ

                                        a & a julian wrote:

                                        >What oarlock quandary?! Did I fail to agonise over something?
                                        >cheers
                                        >Alan J.
                                        >(it's nice to 'talk' Bolger boats to people who understand.....)

                                      • David Romasco
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 19, 2003
                                          Not local, but Jamestown Distributors sells vertical inset bases.

                                          David Romasco

                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 19, 2003
                                            Ahhhhhh Soooooo...
                                            The only thing I agonised over was whether I could find
                                            components cheaper anywhere else.
                                            And the slight glitch that the 1/2" labelled socket
                                            packet actually contained 7/16" sockets. Into which my
                                            1/2" rowlocks didn't fit..... So I turned them down in a
                                            'lekky drill clamped in a vise using a file.
                                            The rest of that stuff.... too much thinking effort there!
                                            cheers
                                            Alan J.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 19, 2003
                                              Well now, to be sure, the last time I bought a set of oarlocks, why, I just
                                              picked the only pair in stock (counted myself lucky: they were bronze)! And
                                              you're right, too much thinking cuts into beer time!

                                              David R.

                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 19, 2003
                                                Just give up and use the plain zinc Perco horned ones. They work fine,
                                                they're cheap, and by the time they corrode away you'll know what your
                                                tastes are, except maybe around lots of warm and/or salt water I guess.
                                                Or at least mine are still alive after a couple of years. At this time
                                                of year, at least in the Northern Hemisphere, the main point is to get
                                                on the water ASAP.

                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 20, 2003
                                                  Ah Peter...."stems, angles"....methinks definitely closely fitted
                                                  crushed velvet burgundy curtains for Windermere!
                                                  DonB

                                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <ellengaest@b...>
                                                  wrote:
                                                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz" <oink@p...> wrote:
                                                  > > I wouldn't have thought it possible to have 2000 posts on Teal
                                                  > > buttstraps, but there you go! :-)
                                                  > > DonB
                                                  >

                                                  > Don,
                                                  > The possiblilties are endless! Just wait until the postings
                                                  about
                                                  > the stem(s) and their angles.....heeeeeeeeehaaaaaaa! ;-)
                                                  >
                                                  > Peter Lenihan
                                                • David Romasco
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 20, 2003
                                                    Ah Lincoln, I know my tastes and preferences well. I've used plastic,
                                                    galvanized, bronze and a brief fling with thole pins; plastic is only
                                                    suitable for children, and I'll take either galvanized or bronze, though I
                                                    prefer the look of bronze. I was indulging in a bit of levity over the
                                                    broad sea of choices that face every builder. I quite agree that none of
                                                    them are worth getting hung up on, and it's a rare boat of any type or
                                                    material that fails to give pleasure. As for my free time, right now I'm in
                                                    the shop abuilding. See you out there!

                                                    David Romasco

                                                    91:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164797&partid=3170
                                                    658>