Re: Premature Goudeonulation

  • Lincoln Ross
    Message 1 of 8 , May 16, 2003
      see below

      >choochawaga wrote:
      >
      >I'm building Teal. Right now I'm in the process of joining the
      >forward and after sections of the sides to the midsections...my
      >question is this...well...the questions are many...
      >Should I fiberglass with cloth and West System the whole boat?

      Not necessarily, tho of course glass at the joints and chines is
      probably good. Some cheap luan does NOT check, at least for quite a
      while, and can be happy with latex house paint, which also sticks well
      to epoxy if you wash and sand first. (be sure to wash before putting
      epoxy over epoxy and sand if the first application is more than a couple
      of days old). I think the two main points of glassing are to prevent
      checking and to make things more abrasion resistant. However, I'm
      guessing glass and epoxy can keep the water away from really cheap luan
      longer. Not a problem with our luan boat, but who knows what luan is
      like now, a few years later? I bought my glass at Defender, which might
      be at www.defenderus.com. You could get 1 oz glass, though it's harder
      to use. If you're keeping the boat in shelter, think seriously about
      skipping most of the glass and painting a light color to reduce solar
      thermal stresses.

      >Can I West System without fiberglass cloth? (I am using cloth in the
      >joining of the end pieces? Can I fiberglass and West System the all
      >of the flat pieces before final assembly or will the pieces be too
      >rigid for bending? Should I just fiberglass and West System the
      >inside pieces before assembly and then do the outside after assembly?
      >Is there ever a time for just using West System without fiberglass
      >cloth?

      If you use light glass it may be much easier to glass all the pieces
      flat ahead of time. But glassing is a lot of work and you may not need
      it. Unless you already have it, using West like that is going to bust
      your budget. I've been happy with Raka, which is much cheaper. There are
      other inexpensive brands, too.Not sure, but I think epoxy alone may be
      better for plain lumber than for ply as it is probably less prone to
      checking (those pesky little cracks)

      >Ps The thrill is gone. Learning boatbuilding skills has ruined me
      >for Messing About In Boats. I just got the latest in the mail
      >yesterday and the excitement wasn't there. I used to love to treasure
      >hunt in the boats for sale section but who wants to buy a boat when
      >you can build one and mostly a wooden one to boot.

      Moi, at right price and workmanship. But not if heavy, floppy
      glass/polyester.