Re: [bolger] Re: Cheap mastsMessage

  • jeff
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2003
      I just posted this on the Michalak group but pertains to this thread too.
      ********************

      My first mast for the Frolic2 was one of those projects that no matter how
      much I planed, sanded, and cursed, it never looked round. Long story short
      is that I ended up with a mast entirely too small so I wrapped it full
      length in a spiral with 3", 9oz glass tape, edge to edge with no overlap and
      epoxied it all in place. After sanding you'd never know it by looking at
      it.

      The first time out we had a good wind and I watched the mast flex over 3
      feet at the top without snapping. Scared me enough to cut a new mast but it
      was unbelievable how much it could bend. Talk about changing the handling
      characteristics of a boat when the sail moves 3' off center! LOL

      Jeff