Yonder

    Message 1 of 17 , May 6, 2003
      Is anybody else enthralled with
      the latest Bolger creation: Yonder?

      30' Chinese Cat Yawl

      In my latest MAIB, and I cannot
      wait for the promised next three
      installments.

      There is no doubt in my mind that
      PCB's recent designs are better than
      is early designs. I guess this is
      a combination of the acculation of
      his life experience, and no doubt
      also from his collabaration with
      SA.

      Once again, my reaction to an
      new PB&F boat design: I want one!
    • HArry James
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6, 2003
        As usual I get the tantalization about a new Bolger design in MAIB long
        before the mailman brings fullfillment.

        HJ

        Message 3 of 17 , May 7, 2003
          --- HArry James <welshman@p...> wrote:
          > As usual I get the tantalization
          > about a new Bolger design in MAIB long
          > before the mailman brings fullfillment.

          Here is a low resolution scan

          http://www.hallman.org/bolger/yonder.gif

          ... everyone should subscribe to MAIB!!!
          to see the detailed version,

          The highlighs in my mind about
          Yonder are:

          It combines most of the best recent
          inovations from PB&F.

          It has a plywood box beam keel, with a 2" steel
          armor/ballast on the sole. Above the box keel
          is a strip planked curved hull on eight plywood
          frames. With the curved transom she will no
          doubt be real pretty.

          Ten feet+ beam which gives it a much better
          galley, which is, according to Annie Hill, the
          most important requirement of voyaging.

          The sailplan is yet another refinement on
          the trademark Bolger Chinese Gaff rig, this
          time with a big reaching spinnaker and club
          jib on a retractable bowsprit for good
          light air sailing.

          Amazingly, the masts are tabernacled, and
          sails can be reefed in a storm from the
          cockpit.

          The other essentials show a lot of PB&F
          thought IE: the anchors, motors, toilet,
          water ballast, thermal insulation, home
          built constructability, on the water
          servicability, shoal draft, davits for
          the tenders, no through-hull openings,
          sensible rudder, hard dodger, ability to
          discretely dump waste water, net positive
          bouyancy, good electical system & bilge
          pumps, and more.

          In short, I think I have to build this
          boat before building my Superbrick.
          Message 4 of 17 , May 7, 2003
            --- HArry James <welshman@p...> wrote:
            > As usual I get the tantalization
            > about a new Bolger design in MAIB long
            > before the mailman brings fullfillment.

            Looks like the gremlins ate
            my earlier reply...again:

            I posted a low resolution
            scan of Yonder at:

            http://www.hallman.org/bolger/yonder.gif

            ...see your latest issue of the
            magazine Messing About in Boats
            for a full detailed view.

            The more I look at this new PB&F
            design the more I like it! They
            combine the best part of most of
            their great new ideas into this
            boat: Which benifits from the
            latest evolution of their trademark
            Bolger Chinese Gaff rig, with an
            added reaching spinaker and club
            foot jib mounted on a retractable
            bow sprit.

            Also, Yonder benifits from their latest
            idea of steel armor plating (2"!) on a
            box keel, but with the trick here
            of having the main portion of the
            hull being strip planked, with a
            curved transom. This boat would
            be very pretty to the eye.

            The boat also has tons of 'practical'
            Bolgerism's such as a big toilet room,
            a comforable double bed, over-kill on
            the anchors, no-through-hull openings,
            positive buoyancy, well-thought-out
            "one-off" building scheme, sensible
            simple power, strong electical system,
            liberal lexan windws, shoal draft,
            ability to make repairs afloat,
            tabernacled masts, tender davits,
            water ballast, elegant simple rudder and more!

            I want one!
            And need to build a Yonder
            before I build my Super-Brick.
          • welshman@ptialaska.net
            Message 5 of 17 , May 7, 2003
              I will have to wait until the Post man traverses the inland passage (3rd
              and 4th class mail comes up by water) before I can view the full article.
              Judging by your posting, this isn't some little 1 winter project.

              HJ

[...]

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 17 , May 13, 2004
                Does anyone know where I could find more info on Bolger's "Yonder"
                design? I saw a couple of drawings in the Bolger2 or Bolger3 group
                but can't find anything else.
              • John Bell
                Message 7 of 17 , May 13, 2004
                  There were several thousand words describing this boat in three consecutive
                  MAIB issues last year. While this does not help you with your current
                  problem, it serves as a good reminder to all of us that subscribing to MAIB
                  is a very good thing. You'll get two issues a month, each with a design
                  commentary from PCB. It's well worth the ~$30/year you pay for it.

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 13, 2004
                    As I understand it, Rollin dal Piaz, who belongs to
                    this Bolger, group comissioned that design. And, the
                    last I heard, his plans have changed and he has no
                    immenent plans to build it. As is normal with PB&F,
                    they retain the rights to sell plans of all the boats
                    of their design. So, why don't you send a fax to PB&F
                    asking them for Yonder study plans, and/or a price for
                    full plans & the rights to build.

                    Yonder is a very ingenious boat design, specialized
                    for building by a 'backyard' boat shop. She is on my
                    short list of favorite 'big' boats to build.

                    --- Bill <wam_53@...> wrote:
                    > Does anyone know where I could find more info on
                    > Bolger's "Yonder"
                    > design? I saw a couple of drawings in the Bolger2
                    > or Bolger3 group
                    > but can't find anything else.

                    > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or
                    > flogging dead horses
                    > thanks, Fred' posts
                    > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                    > and snip away
                    > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                    > Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                    > - Open discussion:
                    > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • r_m_arctic
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 9, 2005
                      I would welcome correspondence with person building Yonder or
                      anticipating construction of this design. The craft was designed by
                      Phil and Susanne for me. I gave them a very free hand and all the
                      innovations are theirs. I was very happy the day they telephoned to
                      briefly discuss the design and let me know the plans were in the
                      mail. Unfortunately, construction is postponed as a move and a
                      marriage intervened. Would like locate a builder who is realizing
                      this design now. Rollin dalPiaz
                    • r_m_arctic
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 30, 2005
                        After completing the custom design for YONDER, Phil and Suzanne wrote:
                        "She ought to be comfortable, handy, reliable, compact to keep in a
                        marina, and is conservatively distinctive." She won't be cheap but
                        she should be worth it." Yonder (Design # 665) LOD 30'00" Beam
                        10'4"
                        Draft 25"/6'6" Sail area 865 Length over bowsprit and boomkin 46'5"
                        Please investigate this design if you desire a Two-some Long-Range
                        Yawl. I am building a reserve of money to invest in construction in
                        the future. Rollin dalPiaz
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 30, 2005
                          > Yonder (Design # 665)

                          In _Small Craft Advisor_ Phil Bolger
                          responded to the question:

                          "What do you consider your most
                          seaworthy small sailboat design and why?"

                          PCB: "There are a number of my designs
                          that are thoroughly seaworthy,
                          but I think I'd pick Romp..."

                          Of course, Yonder is PB&F's 'improved'
                          Romp, so Yonder is really something!
                        • Mark Hall
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 31, 2005
                            Friends,
                            I purchased Yonder plans from Bolger as this is the
                            boat I want to build. But in the mean time, I am
                            using the plans to help guide my reconstruction of a
                            mast and tabernacle on the "Meadowlark" (Herreschoff
                            design). If there are any in the Stockton, CA area
                            who would like a closer look at the Yonder plans, let
                            me know.
                            Mark Hall

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 1, 2005
                              On 8/31/05, Mark Hall wrote:
                              > Friends,
                              > I purchased Yonder plans from Bolger as this is the
                              > boat I want to build.

                              Cool, you chose well, that is perhaps the best
                              Bolger boat. What time frame do you imagine
                              for building Yonder? I am curious what PB&F sell
                              the plans for?
                            • Mark Hall
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 1, 2005
                                Friends,
                                For those interested, Yonder Plans from Bolger and
                                Friends are $1000 in a nice blue tube.
                                Mark Hall

                                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                              • sctree
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 1, 2005
                                  Hey Mark,

                                  I'd sure like a look see at those Yonder plans... I'm headed up your
                                  way in October, probably the 7th-10th for a little cruise. Not sure
                                  which boat I'll bring this time... If you'll be around maybe we can
                                  finally meet up, I still haven't seen you Meadowlark.

                                  Any Bolger / Michalak / Homebuilt or other small boaters interested
                                  in a California Delta Messabout in October?

                                  If interested go to;

                                  CA_Delta_Messabout@yahoogroups.com

                                  Rick Bedard

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Hall <krametoc@y...> wrote:
                                  > Friends,
                                  > I purchased Yonder plans from Bolger as this is the
                                  > boat I want to build. But in the mean time, I am
                                  > using the plans to help guide my reconstruction of a
                                  > mast and tabernacle on the "Meadowlark" (Herreschoff
                                  > design). If there are any in the Stockton, CA area
                                  > who would like a closer look at the Yonder plans, let
                                  > me know.
                                  > Mark Hall

                                  > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                • marilyn1.armstrong
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                                    Chip Humphreys has provided a service for the Group by posting a three
                                    view scan of "Yonder" plans. This exceptional design by Phil and
                                    Suzanne comes with many sheets of plans and a 49 page construction
                                    syllabus. Has one of these craft been launched yet? How many are
                                    under construction at present? Marilyn Armstrong

                                    Post: 46898 Yonder Info Found by Chip Humphreys
                                  • Nels
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "marilyn1.armstrong"
                                      <marilyn1.armstrong@...> wrote:

                                      > Chip Humphreys has provided a service for the Group by posting a
                                      three
                                      > view scan of "Yonder" plans. This exceptional design by Phil and
                                      > Suzanne comes with many sheets of plans and a 49 page construction
                                      > syllabus. Has one of these craft been launched yet? How many are
                                      > under construction at present? Marilyn Armstrong
                                      >
                                      > Post: 46898 Yonder Info Found by Chip Humphreys

                                      There was a fair amount of discussion about Yonder a few years back
                                      and Bruce Hallman did a paper model and posted photos of the hull
                                      shape.

                                      http://community.webshots.com/album/343514976QUTQFQ

                                      Rollin dalPiaz commissioned the design and Mark Hall from Stockton
                                      CA purchased plans ($1000). Nothing has been mentioned about any
                                      building starting since then.

                                      It is an interesting design. Box keel construction that becomes the
                                      building jig for the framework and then strip planked, and plywood
                                      decking from the portlights up I think.

                                      I would also suggest the Alaskan Motorsailer as well, as it would be
                                      much less complicated to build. Yonder of course is world girding
                                      capable and AMS is more of a low effort coastal cruiser. Doesn't
                                      have the sail area nor the deep centerboard. I think I prefer the
                                      idea of the small diesel inboard to two outboards though. Just
                                      having read about the advantages in the Sitka Explorer article.

                                      You could maybe locate the email addresses of the two Yonder
                                      builders in the members list? Or messages search with "Yonder".

                                      Nels