Re: Superbrick Challenge staus?

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 23 , May 4, 2003
      > My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
      > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
      > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

      What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
      buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

      Peter
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 23 , May 4, 2003
        Hi Peter,
        Nifty idea but I suspect that the whole Super Brick concept
        works as it does because it uses the built in interior furniture to
        render the hull structurally sound.In effect,the furniture is nothing
        more then oddly(but useful) shaped ribs,frames and bulkheads typical
        to most boats but very much needed in a box just to keep the flat
        straight panels,well...flat and straight:-)
        I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
        board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea or Home
        Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in units....

        Sincerely,
        Peter L.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:

        > What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure,
        and
        > buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?
        >
        > Peter
      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 23 , May 4, 2003
          > I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
          > board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea
          > or Home Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in
          > units....

          I think particle board should be avoided. I was thinking of a metal-
          framed day-bed from Ikea.

          The SuperBrick framing might have to be changed. The question is how
          much more expensive is cheap store-bought stuff compared to homemade
          and custom fitted.

          Peter
        • Pete Hodges
          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2003
            So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.
          • andy wilson
            Message 5 of 23 , May 4, 2003
              I love this idea and confess to having resorted to such a ruse in a power cruiser. Everybody loved the result but knew that a sloppy carpenter such as me just HAD to have cheated and I had to 'fess up.Seriously,the interior furniture braces the hull and contributes lots of strength to wobbly ply panels. Pity Ikea isnt selling kit boats. Andy

              pvanderwaart <pvanderw@...> wrote:> My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
              > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
              > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

              What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
              buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

              Peter

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Bolger rules!!!

            • craig o'donnell
              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                >So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.

                I have one somewhere.
                --
                Craig O'Donnell
                Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

                -- Macintosh kinda guy
                Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                _________________________________
                ---
              • Bruce Hector
                Message 7 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                  I've posted 3 screen shots of Richard Santa Coloma's beautiful
                  virtual Superbrick in the photo section of Bolger3 in a album
                  appropriately named Superbrick at
                  http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bolger3/lst
                  for your perusal.

                  As to how close to plans does it have to be, I'd say if you can
                  recognize it as a Superbrick from 100 yards away, it is one. You have
                  to admit, she is soewhat, un-mistakable!

                  Shanties, by their very nature, reflect thier builders rugged
                  individualism more so than "ordinary" homemade boats.

                  So as the Marx brother's might say:

                  If it looks like a Superbrick, and it sails like a Superbrick, and it
                  smells like a Superbrick, then ...... the builder gets my $100 as I
                  step aboard with a case of good Canadian beer under my arm.

                  All bets are in US funds, I hereby put up mine. Please email me off
                  list and I post a running total on the list. Contributers must
                  include a snail mail address and phone number for the collection
                  agencies use.

                  This is not a best built Superbrick challenge, it is a first built
                  Superbrick challenge, to help ensure that this superb, thumb in the
                  nose to "right-thinking" yachtsmen actually gets built). Winner is
                  the first to launch and move on 3 points of sail under wind power
                  alone a Bolger designed Superbrick, built close enough to plans to be
                  recognized by the panel (me, so far, but I'll add any long term
                  Bolgerista who'll accompany me to the "judging" (must bring his/her
                  own beer).

                  Bruce Hector
                  http://www.brucesboats.com
                  Who herewith disqualifies himself from the contest, even if I am
                  crazy enuf to actually make a curvy, scrappy shanty on Peter
                  Lenihan's strongback.
                • stephensonhw@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                    You will see plans for a Superbrick if you search Google Images on Bolger Superbrick.

                    Howard