Re: [bolger] Re: Superbrick Challenge staus?

  • andy wilson
    Message 1 of 23 , May 3, 2003
      My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build. Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat? Keep the 2ft deep sweep of the bottom and get a pretty fair sailing shape with 4ft high hull sides plus enough 2ft high cabin sides to promote self-righting. Water ballast if it was to be transportable or ferro cement if not,a la AS29. Go ahead and fiddle around with the outline and you will find it easy to get a transverse double back aft plus a standing room head and a galley amidships and two singles/setees forrard. Add self draining wells bow and stern for muddies and oilies plus easy boarding ability and don't forget full positive buoyancy. Add your choice of low unstayed rigs and masts in tabernacles. I would mount a single leeboard retained by a s/steel bar at the chine and pivot at a forrard bulkhead. Hey presto,enough seaworthy sailing house trailer to send cheaply anywhere on earth and be safe enough for short coastal hops between havens on a good forecast.I love 10 hp 4 strokes with large fine pitched props running throttled back. Amazing fuel economy.The big plus for such a square boat is the number of straight cuts and right angles which should be able to be pounded together quick n dirty yet still super-strong. All the built in furniture and panels just make it a giant egg crate....mmmm,not a bad name.Or Das Box I offer free moorings near Sydney to anybody gutsy enough to try it out. Carpe Diem guys, we aint around forever,how many more summers are you going to procrastinate? Andrew Wilson

      Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@...> wrote:> would love to see and use one...

      As would we all!

      My recurring dream to build a
      Superbrick keeps getting dashed
      when I start doing the math, and
      realize that for about the same
      amount of work, I could build
      an AS-29! I guess I need 'em both.

      It doesn't hurt to dream.

      Reality check please. Am I
      wrong to believe that these
      two boats are about the same
      size and complexity? The big
      difference is that one is
      seaworthy and the other is
      not?

      [...thinking...]

      Of course, both are 8 feet wide
      and about 8 feet tall. One
      is 19 feet long, and the other
      29 feet long.

      AS-29 tapers on both ends, and
      Superbrick does not so they
      both can have roughly the
      same interior accomodations. I.E.
      double berth, two single berths,
      stand up galley, washroom, cabinets,
      etc., The Superbrick does not taper
      and that is how it crams in so much
      in such a short length.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      Bolger rules!!!

    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 23 , May 4, 2003
        > My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
        > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
        > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

        What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
        buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

        Peter
      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 23 , May 4, 2003
          Hi Peter,
          Nifty idea but I suspect that the whole Super Brick concept
          works as it does because it uses the built in interior furniture to
          render the hull structurally sound.In effect,the furniture is nothing
          more then oddly(but useful) shaped ribs,frames and bulkheads typical
          to most boats but very much needed in a box just to keep the flat
          straight panels,well...flat and straight:-)
          I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
          board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea or Home
          Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in units....

          Sincerely,
          Peter L.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:

          > What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure,
          and
          > buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?
          >
          > Peter
        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2003
            > I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
            > board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea
            > or Home Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in
            > units....

            I think particle board should be avoided. I was thinking of a metal-
            framed day-bed from Ikea.

            The SuperBrick framing might have to be changed. The question is how
            much more expensive is cheap store-bought stuff compared to homemade
            and custom fitted.

            Peter
          • Pete Hodges
            Message 5 of 23 , May 4, 2003
              So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.
            • andy wilson
              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                I love this idea and confess to having resorted to such a ruse in a power cruiser. Everybody loved the result but knew that a sloppy carpenter such as me just HAD to have cheated and I had to 'fess up.Seriously,the interior furniture braces the hull and contributes lots of strength to wobbly ply panels. Pity Ikea isnt selling kit boats. Andy

                pvanderwaart <pvanderw@...> wrote:> My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                Peter

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Bolger rules!!!

              • craig o'donnell
                Message 7 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                  >So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.

                  I have one somewhere.
                  --
                  Craig O'Donnell
                  Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

                  -- Macintosh kinda guy
                  Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                  _________________________________
                  ---
                • Bruce Hector
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                    I've posted 3 screen shots of Richard Santa Coloma's beautiful
                    virtual Superbrick in the photo section of Bolger3 in a album
                    appropriately named Superbrick at
                    http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bolger3/lst
                    for your perusal.

                    As to how close to plans does it have to be, I'd say if you can
                    recognize it as a Superbrick from 100 yards away, it is one. You have
                    to admit, she is soewhat, un-mistakable!

                    Shanties, by their very nature, reflect thier builders rugged
                    individualism more so than "ordinary" homemade boats.

                    So as the Marx brother's might say:

                    If it looks like a Superbrick, and it sails like a Superbrick, and it
                    smells like a Superbrick, then ...... the builder gets my $100 as I
                    step aboard with a case of good Canadian beer under my arm.

                    All bets are in US funds, I hereby put up mine. Please email me off
                    list and I post a running total on the list. Contributers must
                    include a snail mail address and phone number for the collection
                    agencies use.

                    This is not a best built Superbrick challenge, it is a first built
                    Superbrick challenge, to help ensure that this superb, thumb in the
                    nose to "right-thinking" yachtsmen actually gets built). Winner is
                    the first to launch and move on 3 points of sail under wind power
                    alone a Bolger designed Superbrick, built close enough to plans to be
                    recognized by the panel (me, so far, but I'll add any long term
                    Bolgerista who'll accompany me to the "judging" (must bring his/her
                    own beer).

                    Bruce Hector
                    http://www.brucesboats.com
                    Who herewith disqualifies himself from the contest, even if I am
                    crazy enuf to actually make a curvy, scrappy shanty on Peter
                    Lenihan's strongback.
                  • stephensonhw@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                      You will see plans for a Superbrick if you search Google Images on Bolger Superbrick.

                      Howard